Pvd-fll, Pvd-dtw

weatherman

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Spirit announced today they will begin N/S service to PVD from FLL, RSW, and DTW. Will SW respond? FLL and DTW are large routes for SW from PVD, but require connections. Do you think SW N/S service will follow?

SWA does have non-stop PVD-FLL service but on Saturday only; the rest of the week it requires a stop but not necessarily a change of planes. I think it odd that SWA hasn't had regular weekly N/S PVD-FLL service, but now maybe they will to combat Spirit.

SWA has no non-stop service from DTW to the east coast at all. According to SWA's website, they have 4 gates and only 17 daily departures at DTW, so they could expand service if they want. It seems to me DTW would be a good place to expand service eventually. But for now, with US Airways teetering on the brink and NW in decent shape, it probably makes more sense for SWA to pick their battles with the weaker sister.

The way I understand from rumours I hear around the company is we won't expannd in DTW for 2 reasons. 1 gate prices are to high and 2 load factors are low. Not to mention that Northwest has their run of the airport and make s it difficult to any more than we already are.

Yes, I really don't think SW will add PVD-DTW, but I think FLL and PBI would be nice additions. We will see how Spirit does. I could easily see them offering seasonal PBI service from PVD. Interesting that NW has not matched the new Spirit PVD-DTW fares (Granted it is only a single flight). NW seems to be tough on low fare carriers. It will be interesting to see if NW increases it 4 daily PVD-DTW.

On a side note DTW-BWI would surely be a hit. I know it seems SW has some issues with DTW, but this would be a great route.

DTW is like STL for Southwest. STL has 12 gates and about 60 departures and DTW has 4 gates and 17 departures. SWA talks about running a lean ship, well I guess there is some fat laying around. As a stockholder this upsets me. Just my thoughts.....

ngneer said:
SWA does have non-stop PVD-FLL service but on Saturday only; the rest of the week it requires a stop but not necessarily a change of planes. I think it odd that SWA hasn't had regular weekly N/S PVD-FLL service, but now maybe they will to combat Spirit.

SWA has no non-stop service from DTW to the east coast at all. According to SWA's website, they have 4 gates and only 17 daily departures at DTW, so they could expand service if they want. It seems to me DTW would be a good place to expand service eventually. But for now, with US Airways teetering on the brink and NW in decent shape, it probably makes more sense for SWA to pick their battles with the weaker sister.
[post="170832"][/post]​

If memory serves, NK built up quite a business out of Islip before leaving for more lucrative (LGA). Then NK basically gave it away to WN and others.

Listen people, I never said that the NK management at that time was overly intelligent. the first sentences were intended as sarcasm.

Back to the subject, I expect that SWA will allow Spirit to build up the non-stop service and then move in. That's what I'd do.

Interestingly enought, NK is one of the airlines that should be able to undercut SW. NK's labor rates are significantly lower than SWA, and aren't going to get higher anytime soon. In fact, the Airbus will seat 198, and the NK pilots will fly it for their old DC9 rates.

NK managment likes to whine about pilot pay, but they have the best contract (for management) in the industry.

Go SWA,
please hire me soon. :)

Skybolt