What Will Happen At Isp?

weatherman

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
I am not sure of the time frame, but I do know that SW is spending a great deal of money at ISP for 8 gates. 8 gates represents massive growth. I was under the impression that ISP would become a reliever for BWI, but now it looks like PHL could fill this job. Nonstops between PVD and ISP did not last. What do you think we will see from ISP in the future? How big will it get in terms of flights? Where do you think we will see nonstop service to? When will the expansion begin?

Don't worry about ISP, because many believe that PHL is going to end up like SFO, and have the plug pulled after a while. Even on the best of days there are ground holds in PHL because of flow problems to the NYC and WAS airports. SW will be planes 30 & 31 in line for takeoff, behind Frontier who will be #29.

phllax said:
Don't worry about ISP, because many believe that PHL is going to end up like SFO, and have the plug pulled after a while. Even on the best of days there are ground holds in PHL because of flow problems to the NYC and WAS airports. SW will be planes 30 & 31 in line for takeoff, behind Frontier who will be #29.
The decision to close SFO was partly based on the constant delays, the other factor was that the SFO schedule could be easily consolidated into the ops at OAK. The point is that the decision to close SFO was easy because there was an alternative. For whatever reason, the powers that be had decided that PHL is a"gotta be there" situation in order to fend of jetBlue, there is no alternative city to retreat to if the delays become intolerable. There are dozens of other cities literally begging for service that WN could have chosen that would not have come with all of the problems of PHL. Allentown for instance. There is a very specific reason PHL was chosen for service, delays and all. Obviously, in the WN master plan PHL is important enough that they(senior management) are willing to suck it up, add a little salt and pepper and eat the delays. PHL will comprise less than 1 percent of WN's systemwide daily departures, if the aircraft are scheduled properly the impact on the rest of the system is likely to be minimal. The increased turn times and subsequent decrease in aircraft utilization will no doubt have an economic impact on the PHL ops but obviously WN has decided that it will be money well spent if it means beating B6 to the punch. Sometimes the cost of NOT being in a market is too high.

SWA is planing to open their new terminal in late spring 2004. With almost all other carriers at ISP giving up on getting any real pax loads, look for SWA to build up their flights this summer.

AA - 3 to BOS
DL - 3 to ATL & CVG
CA - 2 to CLE
US - 4 to PHL (most likely to leave if SWA starts flights to PHL) US fare from ISP to PHL is $ 350 - one-way. SWA would most likely charge $65.00 tops if they enter the market.

Wow, I can't believe US charges that much...

I just checked and they min (published fare) is $150 OW (based on RT) and walk-up OW is $450 + tax

ouch!

14 additional flights announced for PHL today. Looks like big plans. I can't imagine they will try to build up ISP at the same time. I think ISP will be put on the back burner for a while.

weatherman,

IMHO, I think you're being premature with your "back burner" thoughts.

The eight gates aren't open yet, the four new basically replacing the four old. Look for ISP growth when SWA really has extra capacity there.

The ISP Terminal is almost finished. Just the finishing touches like landscaping and sidewalks remain to be completed. When it opens, SWA will go from 3 gates to 4 gates. Then the old gate area will be taken down and rebuild and add the 4 other gates.

Latest posts

Back