QF adding SYD-DFW

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
That's something I wouldn't have expected...

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Qantas-to-stop-direct-Sydney-SFO-flights-pd20110114-D3UWU?OpenDocument

Flights four times a week, on a SYD-DFW & DFW-BNE-SYD return. That's actually a benefit, because clearing customs/immigration in SYD is the pits and a breeze in BNE...

Can't wait to hear how UA or DL will be the winner in that market. ;)

Why would it not be expected? Certain people have said for years that there would be DFW-SYD service. CO's decision to add AKL-IAH service means that the S. Pacific carriers are trying to diversify away from the west coast and access far larger hubs which can better connect with the eastern US.

There were rumors for years that DL realliy wanted to start ATL-SYD service but that is pusing it even for a 777LR.

Not sure what aircraft QF will use but I expect the route will do well.

And remember also that QF does very well with its AA relationship. My point has always been that without ATI and revenue sharing AA doesn't get equal benefits by being a domestic connecting airline to foreign carriers like QF or CX. Sure AA will pump lots of connecting traffic through DFW onto QF's flights and will be able to sell Australia as a destination but QF will set the prices such that QF profits and if anything is left over after AA buys its seats from QF, AA too might make a profit.

I would have thought QF would have waited for the 787 to come on line for this route. Yet another US-Australia route for QF and none for AA. I wonder how the APA is taking this.

I would have thought QF would have waited for the 787 to come on line for this route. Yet another US-Australia route for QF and none for AA. I wonder how the APA is taking this.

Its a zero sum add -- the SFO flight being cut is already codeshared with AA.

I think it's a spectacular add from a network perspective.

Just commenting that it's not an incremental route for QF. They're dropping SFO and adding DFW. Doesn't increase the number of flights they're operating, or the number of flights that AA is codesharing on.

It's ceding ground to UA at SFO which might not be worth fighting over, and who knows... maybe UA will pull back somewhere else in return. Those things have been known to happen.

WT, I have no idea how the pro-rates work within oneworld, but I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be.

A/C will be a 744. at 8578 and 8303 miles respective, SYD-DFW and DFW-BNE become QF's longest nonstops until the 787 arrives. MEL-LAX was the longest at 7921 miles.

Makes a lot of sense to fly to DFW even if it means cancelling the SFO flight. Currently, more Australians visit the USA than vice versa and although San Francisco is a popular destination for Aussies, so are plenty of east coast destinations. Lots of Florida flights, Boston, LGA and dozens of smaller places. DFW will enable easy connections to many cities that were more difficult and limited from SFO. Provided that AA maintains frequent service LAX-SFO, visits to San Francisco will remain fairly easy.

I just wish we it was our metal doing the flying. It's ridiculous that AA does not fly to Sydney or Hong Kong.

I just wish we it was our metal doing the flying. It's ridiculous that AA does not fly to Sydney or Hong Kong.

Sure, blame the pilots and management because AA's partners have better service and a stronger presence at the other end of the route...

If QF didn't offer vastly superior service, and the market wasn't so strongly weighted towards AU point of sale, perhaps there might be cause for AA to consider flying their own metal. But that's not the case. There's no way business travelers would choose AA metal over QF, and it's even less likely that Australians would want to fly on a US carrier over an AU carrier.

Not sure how lopsided the US-HKG market is, but again, CX offers far superior service, even in coach, to what AA offers.

UA and DL fly the routes because they've got weaker (or no) partners in the region. V-Australia's got great service, but has a tiny fleet and is unknown outside of Australia. Air NZ isn't a weak partner, but they're stretched pretty thin as far as their fleet goes.

Back