Comments on New Magazine & Question on Overweight Baggage Fee

One small correction. I believe WN is not part of an international alliance. Of course they are profitable. Causes one to wonder if the code share and alliances are really generating the revenue that is credited to them. It would be easy to believe that more money goes out of US than comes in thru code share.
Different animal altogether. WN doesn't have connecting hubs or any international service.

There are many carriers that use ZED that have nothing to do with the Star Alliance.

Now, can we either start a STAR thread or stay on topic here? Now about our tragic new magazine...

Now, can we either start a STAR thread or stay on topic here? Now about our tragic new magazine...

Yes, about our tragic new magazine.

There are really two things that are appalling, and I think it's important that they're noticed as two separate things.

Someone above referred to it a few times as 1/2 thought out, and I couldn't agree more. Piney I think suggested that the half-dozen important airport maps they removed, along with all the Spanish-language features, and all the non-English immigration information could have been an accident, an oversight.

Well, yes, it could've been. But there were so many things wrong, and these people are professionals at this sort of thing. If it really was a half-thought out accident to omit things like airport maps and instructions for immigration/customs, I don't consider that an accident, I consider that negligent. Someone really screwed up, and should be held accountable for it.

And if it wasn't an accident, and they intended to remove all of that information? Well, then they're even bigger morons than I thought, living in their parochial little world, thinking they're still running a regional airline.

Really, the more I think about the removal of the Spanish stuff and all, the angrier I get.

That's the first issue I have with the magazine--the inexcusable stuff they got wrong.

The fact that it's Las Vegas Magazine, brought to you by US Airways, is a completely separate issue. There, maybe you can give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the next issue will be focused on Charlotte, provided that they can find it on a map. I highly doubt it, though. This problem is really also a big one, but I've used up all my anger venting about the other one I guess. I've said earlier in the thread that there was a right way to tell US/East customers about US/West destinations. This wasn't it, not even close.

And you know that since Pace is the same company that put out Attaché, they're very, very capable of putting together a great magazine. The only possible explanation why this one isn't great is that they were constrained by following management's orders.

Heh, I just looked through the back of the magazine, and I noticed the route maps. I hadn't noticed them before, since I was preoccupied with the missing airport maps. Wow, this just gets worse every time I touch it. You get one big map of North America, and one big map of the REST OF THE WORLD. Good luck figuring out where US flies in Europe--I know the destinations by heart, and yet even I can't see all the dots. No more full-page Caribbean map with lines showing all of our routes. (Well, maybe that's for the best, since I doubt they'd get any of them right, seeing as how they refuse to issue press releases for the new ones.) Hmmm...the one yellow dot (meaning US serves it with its own metal) I can make out on the world map is in Canada, it's Quebec City. Shame that US doesn't fly there, and never has. Brilliant. On the map of the United States, the seasonal US/East destinations (like MVY and EGE) are marked with green dots, like they should be. But the seasonal US/West destinations (like FCA and TEX) are marked with yellow dots, indicating that they're year round, which they're not. Oops. And that's after looking at the route map for 5 minutes. Guess that was 5 minutes too many.

Oh, and I liked how on the (English-only, nowadays) inflight entertainment page, there's a column listing what's shown on the P@ssport system on the A330. Only problem? The top of the column is marked "ALL ROUTES". Doesn't say anything about it only being on the A330; guess some people might be disappointed when they think they're getting a bunch of movies on "ALL ROUTES". And as someone else mentioned, hope you didn't want to know what the movies were actually about.

Sigh...this airline's going to drive me to drink. Guess I'd better have exact change ready--at this rate, they'll be charging for booze in First before long.

I think the issues will even out as time progresses. Pace is doing the thing and they did Attache so relax for a second.

SKY HIGH STATES: Bob, have you had the opportunity to watch the "new" boarding video? And, the trivia video?
Your comments?
Video OVERLOAD?

SKY HIGH STATES: Bob, have you had the opportunity to watch the "new" boarding video? And, the trivia video?
Your comments?
Video OVERLOAD?

I flew HP on Sunday PIT to PHX. They were still playing the HP video but I liked the trivia. It keeps you busy instead of staring at the head in front of you. Plus I was stumped on a few of the questions which I liked. And if you don't want to watch the monitors, sleep or read a book or that rag USAIRWAYS magazine. Or listen to the music channels.

I liked the diversion of the trivia personally.

It's about time US offers it's passengers something to do on those boring flights.

Is US thinking of leaving or has STAR been doing some ghost riding aboard your flights and began discussion on the removal of US?
If this NEW management even considers leaving Star, I for one have NO CONFIDENCE in their ability. Now if STAR were to ask them to leave....a whole different story. (Keep up the excessive cost cutting, cheap antics and downtrodden F/C and you will see US kicked to the curb, and rightfully so) GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER TEMPE!

STAR is not going to kick US to the curb over product differences. When you look at each of the carriers, they all offer differences in product. Look at UAL's TED as an example of a variation on product. The only reason STAR would kick US to the curb is if we were not producing a revenue benefit to the STAR partners.

The STAR Alliance is not in jeopardy because it is financially beneficial to all airlines involved.

If this NEW management even considers leaving Star, I for one have NO CONFIDENCE in their ability. Now if STAR were to ask them to leave....a whole different story. (Keep up the excessive cost cutting, cheap antics and downtrodden F/C and you will see US kicked to the curb, and rightfully so) GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER TEMPE!

Have you flown the flagship of all Star Alliance partners, Lufthansa? I fly Lufthansa twice a year to Germany and, believe me, they are no great kick, either. They are just another aluminum tube with wings going from Point A to Point B. That is where things are heading all over the world. Welcome to the new world of air travel.

Maybe you should get your act together.

While I'm at it, I have flown to Europe on Air Canada and felt like the hapless victims in the new movie, Hostel (http://www.hostelfilm.com).

I was this guy:
hostelpic6big.jpg

and the flight attendants were like this guy:
hostelpic8big.jpg

If AC can keep Star membership, anyone can. It's not a very exclusive club, anymore.

^ nice pics. Ah the world of "entertainment". Maybe we should show this movie on the plane.

I agree that Star membership has been weakend. But still, Thai and Singapore blow all other carriers away.

If only the NEW US offered the level of service of Lufthansa or AirCanada. With the exception of some of the small regional carriers in STAR, EVERY member has a good reputation WORLDWIDE. Ask anyone who has worked ENVOY CLASS or any customer that has been seated up there, the service has been seriously downgraded in the last couple years. (And when it debuted it tied for BEST with Swissair). Barbeetantrum....THAT IS FACT!!!

If only the NEW US offered the level of service of Lufthansa or AirCanada. With the exception of some of the small regional carriers in STAR, EVERY member has a good reputation WORLDWIDE. Ask anyone who has worked ENVOY CLASS or any customer that has been seated up there, the service has been seriously downgraded in the last couple years. (And when it debuted it tied for BEST with Swissair). Barbeetantrum....THAT IS FACT!!!

Lufthansa used to be great. Now it has joined the ranks of mediocrity. If you like Lufthansa and Air Canada and hate US Airways so much, perhaps you should go work with them.

Lufthansa used to be great. Now it has joined the ranks of mediocrity. If you like Lufthansa and Air Canada and hate US Airways so much, perhaps you should go work with them.

I fly LH when i need to be in FRA and dont want to connect in Newark on Continental, and they, LH , have an awesome service with lots of inflight staff. I have used US in the past IAH-PIT-FRA and i will say again, the US service at that time was AWESOME. It is now a far cry from what it used to be. Im not so sure if you have flown LH if you say they have joined the ranks of mediocrity. I have flown them several times between FRA and Berlin Tegel. Its about a 45 minute flight with a full beverage service and complimentary alcoholic beverages in coach. I have seen the staffing levels and they are now what US used to be in the past. They are really an impressive outfit. Perhaps your management will began to think on a more global scale and reverse the trend in cutting service and staffing levels to the bone. Maybe get the fever of growing and expanding your INTL presence.

I fly LH when i need to be in FRA and dont want to connect in Newark on Continental, and they, LH , have an awesome service with lots of inflight staff. I have used US in the past IAH-PIT-FRA and i will say again, the US service at that time was AWESOME. It is now a far cry from what it used to be. Im not so sure if you have flown LH if you say they have joined the ranks of mediocrity. I have flown them several times between FRA and Berlin Tegel. Its about a 45 minute flight with a full beverage service and complimentary alcoholic beverages in coach. I have seen the staffing levels and they are now what US used to be in the past. They are really an impressive outfit. Perhaps your management will began to think on a more global scale and reverse the trend in cutting service and staffing levels to the bone. Maybe get the fever of growing and expanding your INTL presence.

I remember LH back in my military days in the 80s. That was perfection. Now the meals are the heat-up dinners and the drink cart doesn't come around anywhere as much as it used to. It's not bad service, it's just the same service as everyone else. I still prefer them to any American carrier. Everyone is feeling the pinch. BA is about the same. Both are still much better than Air Canada. If you want an example of perfection, my opinion sways to Eva Air.

The reason why the US AIrways magazine is "vegas central" is because US Airways DOES NOT pay for it. The advertisers pay for the whole entire thing. It's another cost saving move by the company.

The company is trying to lure other advertisers in other cities according to the "About US" newsletter.

Latest posts