Comments on New Magazine & Question on Overweight Baggage Fee

This magazine will never have the distinction of being called an "award winning" magazine. It's too busy inside and made my eyes tired just reading it.

1. Maybe it will win the award for best 1/2 thought out, Tempe-Centric, eye-hurting magazine.

2. HP's website is busy too and my eyes hurt when it comes up. They probably used the same color palette they used for the website.

And when did Pittsburgh become a hub again?

PIT has been referred to as a hub since this whole merger thing started. Every bit of printed material that I receive from the company that mentions PIT refers to it as a "hub". See, LAS is called a hub and it is much smaller than PIT. Hell, CMH was called a hub and it had 50 flights a day at its peak. Can you imagine the crying from East if we called PIT a focus city and tiny LAS a hub. LAS is a pimple compared to PIT. Doug would be drowning in a river of East tears. Imagine if everyone realized that CMH was once called a hub as small as it was and PIT would be called a "focus city". There would be the rending of garments and the gnashing of teeth! :shock:

There is an excellent definition of hubs (with reference to PIT) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline%5Fhub

PIT has been referred to as a hub since this whole merger thing started. Every bit of printed material that I receive from the company that mentions PIT refers to it as a "hub". See, LAS is called a hub and it is much smaller than PIT. Hell, CMH was called a hub and it had 50 flights a day at its peak. Can you imagine the crying from East if we called PIT a focus city and tiny LAS a hub. LAS is a pimple compared to PIT.

And DCA is bigger than either PIT or LAS, yet nobody calls it hub, secondary or otherwise, yet nowadays it indeed carries plenty of connecting traffic. Explain how that all makes sense. :blink:

In terms of seats offered it goes: CLT, PHL, PHX, DCA, LAS, LGA, PIT, BOS
In terms of total departures offered: CLT, PHL, PHX, LGA, DCA, PIT, LAS, BOS
In terms of mainline departures: CLT, PHX, PHL, LAS, DCA, BOS, LGA, PIT
In terms of nonstop destinations: CLT, PHL, PHX, LAS, PIT, DCA, LGA, BOS

Pax carried is generally the big thing used to determine the "size" of a station, but as we don't have access to that, seats offered seems to be the closest metric to use to determine which stations are bigger than others.

Imagine if everyone realized that CMH was once called a hub as small as it was

Things were different back then. US used to call IND/DAY/CLE/CMH/MCI/etc all hubs, and they usually had about 100 departures, never more than 200 or so. It's just that the term focus city wasn't used back then. Even the great BWI never had more than 250 or so flights--gives some perspective for those who think that WN can run US out of the way bigger PHL hub.

Its a Star Alliance thing so its only for US flights. Oh wait, we're all the same now, only different. :rolleyes:
When HP operated flights come under the Star Alliance banner, you'll get a boatload (overload) of new information and special instructions on how to handle things differently in certain cases.
The Star Alliance is going bye bye .

The Star Alliance is going bye bye .
:eek:ff: Sorry, but need to squelch this before it even gets started. Star is not going away. We reap enormous benefits from the alliance. One of my best friends works for Star at their FRA headquarters; he has said repeatedly over the last several months that Tempe has been VERY active in furthering the brand. More active than CCY ever was. The LH CLT-MUC flight alone was a child of Star. US connects nearly 80% of all customers on that city pair.

Back to the issue at hand, the crappy new magazine and the sudden realization that Sedona is not the center of the world like my new age-loving brother said it was, Phoenix and Las Vegas are.

Its a Star Alliance thing so its only for US flights. Oh wait, we're all the same now, only different. :rolleyes:
When HP operated flights come under the Star Alliance banner, you'll get a boatload (overload) of new information and special instructions on how to handle things differently in certain cases.
Thanx tadjr. At least this time now I dont feel like Im missing something. Does anyone know when Hp or if Hp will become part of Star? And if you think we have problems in rez now wait until they dump that on us! Can you say DOT complaints?

Thanx tadjr. At least this time now I dont feel like Im missing something. Does anyone know when Hp or if Hp will become part of Star? And if you think we have problems in rez now wait until they dump that on us! Can you say DOT complaints?
This exactly why US wants out not part of the LCC model to expensive to maintain believe me it is being discussed

Like I said to expensive to maintain
More expensive to be without. We'd be the largest carrier in the world not in an alliance. Not gonna happen. Besides, as I said, my friend told me just last week how pleased they are with how excited and involved Tempe management has been.

LH upper management told me that the ZED program was apart of the Star Alliance

One small correction. I believe WN is not part of an international alliance. Of course they are profitable. Causes one to wonder if the code share and alliances are really generating the revenue that is credited to them. It would be easy to believe that more money goes out of US than comes in thru code share.