Quantas NS to DFW ?

tom barry

Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Just read (somewhere) that Quantas has started flying ns from syd/dfw. OR is this syd/lax/dfw ?

If so, what type of a/c are they using. And what kind of deal for passes for AA employees ?

Just read (somewhere) that Quantas has started flying ns from syd/dfw. OR is this syd/lax/dfw ?

If so, what type of a/c are they using. And what kind of deal for passes for AA employees ?

It's been operating since May, with a 747-400ER. I believe it is DFW-BRS-SYD-DFW. Not sure about NRSA details.

Josh

1) there is no "U" in Qantas...

2) the routing is SYD-DFW, and DFW-BNE-SYD on the return because even the -400 can't make it nonstop with the winds. It is probably a better routing from a customer perspective, too, because customs at SYD is an absolute nightmare. BNE reminded me of clearing customs at BOS or RDU as opposed to MIA...

3) oneworld ZED fares should apply, but it wouldn't surprise me to see nonrevs being refused on a regular basis due to payload restrictions.

1) there is no "U" in Qantas...

2) the routing is SYD-DFW, and DFW-BNE-SYD on the return because even the -400 can't make it nonstop with the winds. It is probably a better routing from a customer perspective, too, because customs at SYD is an absolute nightmare. BNE reminded me of clearing customs at BOS or RDU as opposed to MIA...

3) oneworld ZED fares should apply, but it wouldn't surprise me to see nonrevs being refused on a regular basis due to payload restrictions.

Eric,
Thanx for the "multi"-info.
If QF had a half dozen 777-200LR's they wouldn't have to worry about any winds,...But as you point out, the "round-robin" of SYD/DFW/BNE/SYD........ makes a lot of sense, which THEN makes the need for 777"s moot.

Anyone know if QF has a longer stage length than SYD/DFW.

Also, the new deal with QF is the final piece of the puzzle. I mean a "close knit" deal consisting of AA/BA/QF and Japan Airlines covers the world Better than any other possible link up.

Couple more questions, is AA/dfw ramp handling BA + QF ? If not, why not ?
Lastly, as Loooong as that trip is, there seems to be lots of places to "drop-in" for fuel, or emergency's enroute to SYD. More than the average joe may think. Bottom line, I'm liking "4" engines for that long arse trip over much open water !
Thanx !

SYD-DFW is their longest one-way leg at 8578mi, followed by DFW-BNE at 8303mi.

Fairly certain that MEL-LAX is still the longest RT market they operate with the 744 at 7921mi.

Not so sure that the tie-up of QF/JL/BA/AA is happening anytime soon. QF is retreating a bit out of Europe, and setting up two low cost offshore subsidiaries. BA is about to ingest BD and they still haven't swallowed IB yet, JL is recovering from bankruptcy (and apparently now doing better than NH in terms of margins), and AA is, well, AA...

Bottom line, I'm liking "4" engines for that long arse trip over much open water !
Thanx !

Four engines v two engines just means you have twice as many engines to break and twice the number of inflight engine shutdowns. Haven't we been over this several dozen times before? B)

Yep. And Airbus is only about 40 years behind Boeing in that realization... they've finally come to the conclusion that the A340 is a dog, and they're killing it off in favor of the A330, A350 (if it ever flies).

Back