Real Life After Layoff

PTO,

Have you noticed much of the wealth-producing economy is being sent overseas? Namely China and other Asian countries?

Mr. Bush likes to talk about how many "new jobs" are being created in this country. Maybe so, they are mostly low-paying non-benefit type jobs. Many people are now working two jobs just to keep a roof over the heads of their families. We aren't talking unskilled, uneducated, lazy folks here. It's about Americans who have been "downsized" out of decent jobs in the name of Corporate Greed.

Right now, the "white collars" are feeling the pinch.

Our national debt is over 8 TRILLION dollars, dollars your kids will be working to pay off. Probably your grandkids too.

As people take lower-paying jobs, the amount of taxes paid are less. And you know the "rich folks" ain't gonna be making up the deficit. Roads won't get repaired, schools won't be built and in general, out infrustructure won't be maintained.

Listen to Mother Dea here. Your job will be outsourced to the lowest bidder and chances are, it won't be in the USA.

I don't know about you, but I sure as heck don't want to leave the country I love for the sake of a job.

Dea

PS: and another thing, as pensions are slashed, eliminated and social services are decreased, we will see soup lines once again. Bring your own tin cup.

Thank you Mother Dea!
But be carefull as PTO(and his cronies) will kick your walker and steal your cup, and then blame you for it!! :rolleyes:

I am afraid that you bring too much common sense to this debate.

Take Care,
B) UT

Mr. Bush likes to talk about how many "new jobs" are being created in this country. Maybe so, they are mostly low-paying non-benefit type jobs.

Our national debt is over 8 TRILLION dollars, dollars your kids will be working to pay off. Probably your grandkids too.

As people take lower-paying jobs, the amount of taxes paid are less.

PS: and another thing, as pensions are slashed, eliminated and social services are decreased, we will see soup lines once again. Bring your own tin cup.
Sounds like you've bought into the doom and gloom that the left would like you to believe is inevitable under our "cold capitalistic system". Here are some facts.

1) American employers added 243,000 jobs in February and workers posted their highest salary gains in more than four years.

2) From 2003 to now, the economy created 5 million jobs. Payrolls expanded for 30 straight months. Following Bush's 2003 tax cuts, federal tax revenues grew from $1.9 trillion in 2004 to $2.1 trillion in 2005

3) 68.6 percent of Americans own their homes, a historical high

4) The jobless rate is at 4.7 percent, a 4 1/2-year low.

Naturally, all of this would be considered very good economic news and signs of a very healthy economy if there were a democrat in the White House, but somehow the mainstream media has convinced people like you that the sky is falling nonetheless. The only people in soup lines will be those that have wasted their life away making bad decisions and abusing alcohol or drugs. If you can't make a good life for yourself in the most robust and dynamic economy on earth, then you're not going to make it anywhere.

Sounds like you've bought into the doom and gloom that the left would like you to believe is inevitable under our "cold capitalistic system". Here are some facts.

1) American employers added 243,000 jobs in February and workers posted their highest salary gains in more than four years.

2) From 2003 to now, the economy created 5 million jobs. Payrolls expanded for 30 straight months. Following Bush's 2003 tax cuts, federal tax revenues grew from $1.9 trillion in 2004 to $2.1 trillion in 2005

Naturally, all of this would be considered very good economic news and signs of a very healthy economy if there were a democrat in the White House, but somehow the mainstream media has convinced people like you that the sky is falling nonetheless. The only people in soup lines will be those that have wasted their life away making bad decisions and abusing alcohol or drugs. If you can't make a good life for yourself in the most robust and dynamic economy on earth, then you're not going to make it anywhere.
oh....
Really?
Do you know exactly how they conduct these surveys?

oh....
Really?
Do you know exactly how they conduct these surveys?
Oh Yeah, It must be a conspiracy, right? Since it doesn't conform to your miniscule slice of anectodal evidence to the contrary, we must assume the actual statistical undisputed data is somehow in error?

Oh Yeah, It must be a conspiracy, right? Since it doesn't conform to your miniscule slice of anectodal evidence to the contrary, we must assume the actual statistical undisputed data is somehow in error?
it could be a clerical error....ha,ha,ha,ha,
that #### happens...just ask NW

Real income adj. for inflation is down 4% since 2000. The banks own the homes and personal bankruptcies are very high. The economy has been running on re-fi loans from the housing bubble. Americans have a negative savings rate even as federal spending has grown faster than during the "great society" years. There is good news though; we lead the world in sports therapy degrees. We will lead the world in massage in the comming decades.

if you don't know then you don't know.
plain and simple.

if you don't know then you don't know.
plain and simple.
if you conduted surveys before you should know as well as I do people pick out whom they want to survey and what they want to survey. I believe they call/interview 60,000 people for this statistic. Now how many people are in this country?
How many people who are part timers in this survey?
How many people surveyed are saying their income grew for what reason? Raising mininum wage in their respected states?
all subjective.

Yea, and this is from the same group who re-classified fast food workers as MANUFACTURERS.

Look everyone! Manufacturing in the US just shot up 100%

Yea, and this is from the same group who re-classified fast food workers as MANUFACTURERS.

Look everyone! Manufacturing in the US just shot up 100%
I realize that your take is a fun talking point that liberals like to use to discredit or deflect good economic news, but here's the facts behind the rhetoric taken from a CBS news article.

Manufacturing is defined by the Census Bureau as work involving employees who are "engaged in the mechanical, physical, or chemical transformation of materials, substances, or components into new products."

But, the president's report notes, even the Census Bureau has acknowledged that its definition "can be somewhat blurry," with bakeries, candy stores, custom tailors and tire retreading services considered manufacturing.

"Mixing water and concentrate to produce soft drinks is classified as manufacturing," the president's report reads. "However, if that activity is performed at a snack bar, it is considered a service."

The report does not recommend that burger-flippers be counted alongside factory workers.

Instead, it concludes that the fuzziness of the manufacturing definition is problematic, because policies — like, for example, a tax credit for manufacturers — may miss their target if the definition is overly broad or narrow.

No heres the fact:

The report does not recommend that burger-flippers be counted alongside factory workers.

Why don't you try and and focus on that word "recommend" you may not understand its meaning but the rest of us do.

No heres the fact:

Why don't you try and and focus on that word "recommend" you may not understand its meaning but the rest of us do.
Enlighten me. What does "recommend" actually mean to the black helicopter crowd. I take it to mean that the report did not recommend the change, and no such change in methodology has occurred to date. The reasoning behind it even being brought up in the report was very clearly explained in my previous post, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

I realize that as a die hard lib, you must find some sort of evil motive behind everything that comes out of this administration, but does that hand need to be played in something as irrelevent and explainable as this?

Finman you like to throw out your Right Wing Koolaide drinking statistics for all to see, well lets look at some facts from the other side of the coin shall we?

Over the last month, the Bush administration has cited recent jobs numbers to claim that average workers' paychecks are increasing. Vice President Cheney said, "real incomes and wages are growing."[1] But as new studies show, wages have actually decreased for the average worker, even as corporate profits and CEO pay have exploded.

According to the Economic Policy Institute, while corporate profits have risen by more than 62%, workers' take home pay has dropped by 0.6%.[2] This follows an earlier report which shows that industries currently adding jobs pay 21% less[3] than industries that are slashing jobs. Despite this wage crisis, President Bush is pushing to cut off an estimated 8 million workers from overtime pay protections,[4] and supports efforts to outsource even more well-paid American jobs.[5] Meanwhile, he refuses to raise the minimum wage, despite new research showing a minimum wage hike would not adversely affect businesses or consumers.[6]

The story, of course, is different for the president's wealthy campaign
donors. A recent study shows CEO pay exploded by 27% in just one year,[7]
all while the President lavished more than $1 trillion in new tax breaks
on the richest 1% of the population. To put the contrast into dollars, the
average worker takes home $517 a week[8] and will receive about $400 per year in
tax breaks from President Bush. At the same time, the average CEO takes home
$155,769 a week[9] and this year alone received well over $50,000 in new
tax breaks from Bush.[10]

Sources:

1. Vice Presidential Speech, White House Website, 5/21/04.
2. "Economic Snapshots: When do Workers Get their Share?" Economic Policy
Institute, 5/27/04.
3. "Economic Snapshots: Jobs shift from higher-paying to lower-paying
industries," Economic Policy Institute, 1/21/04.
4. "8 Million White-Collar Workers Could Lose Overtime Pay Under Bush
Plan,"
AFL-CIO, 6/26/03.
5. "Exporting American Jobs," ABCNews.com, 2/13/04.
6. "Economist: Minimum wage boost could add a dime to meal tab,"
Associated
Press, 6/4/04.
7. "U.S. CEO pay rose 27 pct in 2003 -- study," Reuters, 5/12/04.
8. "Ratio of CEO Pay to Average Worker Pay Reaches 301 in 2003," United
for
a Fair Economy, 4/14/04.
9. Ibid.
10. "Details on the Bush Tax Cuts so far (as of fall 2003)," Citizens for
Tax Justice, Fall 2003.

Enlighten me. What does "recommend" actually mean to the black helicopter crowd. I take it to mean that the report did not recommend the change, and no such change in methodology has occurred to date. The reasoning behind it even being brought up in the report was very clearly explained in my previous post, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

I realize that as a die hard lib, you must find some sort of evil motive behind everything that comes out of this administration, but does that hand need to be played in something as irrelevent and explainable as this?

Oh so because I can think for myself and wont drink the republican Kool-aid I'm suddenly a die hard liberal???

That tells me all I need to know about you.

Oh so because I can think for myself and wont drink the republican Kool-aid I'm suddenly a die hard liberal???

That tells me all I need to know about you.
Well ThirdSeatHero it is well known on these boards that Finman is a Right Wing Koolaide Drinking pro company Bean Counter!

Where have you been?