Report On Dave Siegel's Meeting With Alpa

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Yesterday US Airways chief executive officer Dave Siegel met with US Airways ALPA MEC chairman Bill Pollock, MEC vice chairman Kim Snider, and MEC Secretary/Treasurer Mike D’Angelo.

Siegel updated the MEC officers on the state of the airline, LCC expansion plans, and that US Airways would formally disclose its plans to counter the growing low cost threat in about a month.

The meeting was described as cordial, there were no “shots fired across the bowâ€￾ or demands for labor concessions. Siegel said that the LCCs are growing much faster than had been expected and the company’s only method of survival would be to counter them in some way. Siegel noted that US Airways will not become a low cost carrier, but would look for ways to counter them using the airlines strengths and service advantages.

In my opinion, the plan could include a rolling hub designed to improve operational performance and productivity. For example, in Philadelphia instead of having two 90 flight banks flown within two hours, there could be three 60 flight banks flown in 3 hours. Each sequence would have 180 flights, but the rolling hub would be smoothed out to reduce delays and operational expense; as well as increasing employee productivity to reduce labor expense.

In addition, I believe we could see the plan include items such as increased cooperation and coordination with United Airlines as the companies continue to consolidate facilities, operations, and marketing programs. For example, it would not surprise me if the business partners implement plans like their new ServiceAir cargo handling contract in areas such as joint purchasing to obtain volume discounts, joint advertising, and joint aircraft ground handling, which also would improve employee productivity.

Also noteworthy, US Airways and United have a unique advantage over other network carriers in that each airline can still reject leases through the bankruptcy process to eliminate excess facilities to create economies of scale, which is a compelling point to lower joint unit costs going forward.

Regards,

Chip

Chip Munn said:
In addition, I believe we could see the plan include items such as increased cooperation and coordination with United Airlines as the companies continue to consolidate facilities, operations, and marketing programs. For example, it would not surprise me if the business partners implement plans like their new ServiceAir cargo handling contract in areas such as joint purchasing to obtain volume discounts, joint advertising, and joint aircraft ground handling, which also would improve employee productivity.
That wouldn't require face to face meetings of the top brass, would it???? ;)

Chip Munn said:
Also noteworthy, US Airways and United have a unique advantage over other network carriers in that each airline can still reject leases through the bankruptcy process to eliminate excess facilities to create economies of scale, which is a compelling point to lower joint unit costs going forward.
I understand how UA can do this, but how can U reject any more leases through the bankruptcy process since they are no longer in Chapter 11?

In about a month Dave reveals his plan for an LCC...

MetroJet.gif

Bear96:

Bear96 asked: "I understand how UA can do this, but how can U reject any more leases through the bankruptcy process since they are no longer in Chapter 11?"

Chip answers: Bear, in Pittsburgh, which could include Reservation, Training, Simulator, Maintenance, Operations, Dispatch, Airport, and Operations Support buildings and facilities. These leases including even the vending machines were rejected 21 minutes prior to the company emerging from bankruptcy.

In fact, one airline analyst close to the US Airways board told me that the Pittsburgh hub negotiations are being held hostage to United's exit financing. In fact, if the business partners conclude an agreement to consolidate, for example US Airways Dispatch could easily move to Chicago, where about half of the Dispatcher stations are vacant.

This is another example of economies of scale.

Regards,

Chip

If they want more productivity, I hope they eliminate our 3 hour "Productivity" breaks. Put another leg or two every day of the trip and use me while I'm out here. Let's make these 3 days worth 18 or more and the 4 days 24 or more. I don't think any one would mind working Harder AND SMARTER.

crazyincanton

crazyincanton said:
If they want more productivity, I hope they eliminate our 3 hour "Productivity" breaks. Put another leg or two every day of the trip and use me while I'm out here. Let's make these 3 days worth 18 or more and the 4 days 24 or more. I don't think any one would mind working Harder AND SMARTER.

crazyincanton
Me too!

I don't think the company cares if you work 12 days or 18 to get your 85. They own you for the month. As long as a trip does not generate a duty rig, what difference does it make to the company to let you cool your heels for 3 hours between flights. I am certain they use an optimization program that sjows them the cheapest way to fly the schedule, not the most time off for the crews. Just my thoughts :(

If the low cost carriers are growing faster than expected, then why don't
we do something unexpected ?

As I've mentioned on other posts :

1. Bring back some mainline to select markets

2. Increase stage lengths

3. Increase our International - in particular - the seasonals that have been
discontinued for the winter.

76200 said:
If the low cost carriers are growing faster than expected, then why don't
we do something unexpected ?

As I've mentioned on other posts :

1. Bring back some mainline to select markets

2. Increase stage lengths

3. Increase our International - in particular - the seasonals that have been
discontinued for the winter.

That might be part of the plan? , but Job #1 is to bleed us all dry first !!!