Rumor

EMBFA

Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
hot rumor is that Air Wisconsin will buy Piedmont and PSA from US Airways to form one large airine like ExpressJet for continemtal and be the single US Express carrier flying CRJ families and Q400s. Any truth, likelihood, speculation? This ones been bouncing around for awhile... :)

PDT PSA been bouncing for 3-5 years. with AWAC coming in, just natural they get included....

From the March 3rd "about US":

Rumor has it...
An employee writes: I heard a rumor that Piedmont is for sale. Any truth to it?

Fact or Fiction?
Fiction. We don’t have plans to sell Piedmont (or PSA for that matter). JeffMcClelland, chief administrative officer, explained that this is merely a rumor.

While we’re on the topic of Express carriers, we’ll reiterate what Doug said at State of the Airline to numerous questions about Piedmont and PSA. He explained that Express service is an important part of our operation and, at this point, he anticipates very few changes for the regionals in terms of size, aircraft, etc. One very positive change, however, is that Express employees are now
included in Hat Trick payouts, meaning their wallets just got a bit fatter thanks to a second place on-time performance.

From the March 3rd "about US":

Rumor has it...
An employee writes: I heard a rumor that Piedmont is for sale. Any truth to it?

Fact or Fiction?
Fiction. We don’t have plans to sell Piedmont (or PSA for that matter). JeffMcClelland, chief administrative officer, explained that this is merely a rumor.

While we’re on the topic of Express carriers, we’ll reiterate what Doug said at State of the Airline to numerous questions about Piedmont and PSA. He explained that Express service is an important part of our operation and, at this point, he anticipates very few changes for the regionals in terms of size, aircraft, etc. One very positive change, however, is that Express employees are now
included in Hat Trick payouts, meaning their wallets just got a bit fatter thanks to a second place on-time performance.

But right after he said we don't anticipate a size change we closed two crew bases.

I thought I heard AWAC actually bought into US Airways a few months before the AM West/USAir merger, so how is this going to affect everything and is AWAC going to take on new routes or help fill the gaps left by psa/piedmont/mesa?

I thought I heard AWAC actually bought into US Airways a few months before the AM West/USAir merger, so how is this going to affect everything and is AWAC going to take on new routes or help fill the gaps left by psa/piedmont/mesa?

$125 million and a seat on the board. PDT/PSA doesn't even have a seat on the board.

But right after he said we don't anticipate a size change we closed two crew bases.
So... what? You didn't lose planes, you didn't lose pilots and you didn't lose routes. How many PDT bases were there, seven or eight? Honestly, how many crewbases do you need for a 55-plane regional airline? You had bases that were 50 miles apart from one another, I guess left over from the ALG/PDT merger?

Doug said during the 4Q State of the Airline Q&A session that when all is said and done, it's not very likely that LGA, PIT, PHL, DCA, BOS and CLT will all remain bases for US Airways. It's not particularly surprising that they consolidated some PDT crew bases as well.

So... what? You didn't lose planes, you didn't lose pilots and you didn't lose routes. How many PDT bases were there, seven or eight? Honestly, how many crewbases do you need for a 55-plane regional airline? You had bases that were 50 miles apart from one another, I guess left over from the ALG/PDT merger?

Doug said during the 4Q State of the Airline Q&A session that when all is said and done, it's not very likely that LGA, PIT, PHL, DCA, BOS and CLT will all remain bases for US Airways. It's not particularly surprising that they consolidated some PDT crew bases as well.

So What?!?!?

This idiodic base closure is forcing lots of guys to commute who lived in their domicile. Its also forcing those of us that already commute into a 2 leg trip to get to work.

I already spend an extra day away from home for every trip I fly out of CLT. Now that we got the boot from there, I'm looking at 2 extra days away from home for those trips. Add to the all the friggin out and backs this place puts on the lines and I'll be lucky to break even.

I can understand closing PHF since we've LOST! just about all the flying there to RJs, but closing CLT is a bonehead maneuver by management that we're all taking personally. It makes no sense what so freaking ever........

I understand the disruption - but, assuming that every crew base costs money, it's imperative for management to figure out the least number of crew bases that the airline can reliably operate with. Blame the wizards at CCY for not taking a hard look at this issue earlier.

SBY, ROA, CHO, LGA, SYR, MDT, EWN bases are left. That's still seven bases for 55 aircraft. EWN is 220 miles from CLT and SBY is just 99 miles from PHF. According to an earlier post on this subject here, CLT and PHF were closed because there were no overnighting aircraft at those locations.

America West had 150 planes and one pilot base. PDT had 55 planes and NINE crew bases. Do the math. This isn't the old US Airways.

So What?!?!?

This idiodic base closure is forcing lots of guys to commute who lived in their domicile. Its also forcing those of us that already commute into a 2 leg trip to get to work.

I already spend an extra day away from home for every trip I fly out of CLT. Now that we got the boot from there, I'm looking at 2 extra days away from home for those trips. Add to the all the friggin out and backs this place puts on the lines and I'll be lucky to break even.

I can understand closing PHF since we've LOST! just about all the flying there to RJs, but closing CLT is a bonehead maneuver by management that we're all taking personally. It makes no sense what so freaking ever........

maybe because they've been artificialy propping up flying that didn't belong in clt for years? they've(pdt mgmt) even admitted to as much, base closings suck, we've all been thru it, some make sense, some don't, orf and clt did make sense, no overnighting aircraft and trips that deadhead in and out and cause other based crews to sit for hours on end in clt so they can get the clt crews out on trips

I understand the disruption - but, assuming that every crew base costs money, it's imperative for management to figure out the least number of crew bases that the airline can reliably operate with. Blame the wizards at CCY for not taking a hard look at this issue earlier.

SBY, ROA, CHO, LGA, SYR, MDT, EWN bases are left. That's still seven bases for 55 aircraft. EWN is 220 miles from CLT and SBY is just 99 miles from PHF. According to an earlier post on this subject here, CLT and PHF were closed because there were no overnighting aircraft at those locations.

America West had 150 planes and one pilot base. PDT had 55 planes and NINE crew bases. Do the math. This isn't the old US Airways.

Based on your math PDT doesn't deserve anything. No bases for PDT, close them all.

Maybe we should compare number of daily flights too.