S-80 Emergency Landing LGA-ORD-JFK

As someone who has to be on the S80 almost every flying day, I wonder if anyone has reported this to the FAA. If not, why not? Are you all waiting for an opportunity to say "I told you so"?
I totally 100% agree....

As someone who has to be on the S80 almost every flying day, I wonder if anyone has reported this to the FAA. If not, why not? Are you all waiting for an opportunity to say "I told you so"?

story here

American mechanics, federal inspectors and representatives of engine maker Pratt & Whitney will inspect the engine at the airline's maintenance facility in Tulsa, Okla., American spokesman Tim Smith said.

Smith said "early speculation" centered on the belief that an object got sucked into the engine and damaged the fan blades, possibly on an earlier flight.

Smith said the plane had gone through all required inspections and "there was nothing in our previous maintenance checks to indicate any issue that could be related or connected to the failure of this engine."

The Wall Street Journal, citing sources, said the plane had a history of engine problems and hadn't received follow-up work after discrepancies were spotted in fuel usage between the two engines.

I was not referring to the most recent incident. Obviously, it will be investigated by the Feds. I was referring to these two posts which if true, concern me.

The company has been racking up a considerable amount of time on those JT-8s without proper/minimal maintenance. Not sure what else could be expected.

Another problem is powerplant engineers disobeying the very Maintenance Manual that they themselves have written. Time after time AA inspector's have found damage that was clearly out of limits per the MM. The inspector will order an engine change and then have their decision overidden by some "nucklehead" in powerplant engineering. It's only a matter of time before AA puts one in the ground or water because of the pencil whipping going on in the AA engineering departments. Don't be suprised if a "Ben Taylor" :wacko: special comes crashing into your living room soon.

If this is going on, all of us should be yelling at the top of our lungs to the Feds--but, particularly the mechanics who have first-hand knowledge.

story here

American mechanics, federal inspectors and representatives of engine maker Pratt & Whitney will inspect the engine at the airline's maintenance facility in Tulsa, Okla., American spokesman Tim Smith said.

Smith said "early speculation" centered on the belief that an object got sucked into the engine and damaged the fan blades, possibly on an earlier flight.

Smith said the plane had gone through all required inspections and "there was nothing in our previous maintenance checks to indicate any issue that could be related or connected to the failure of this engine."

The Wall Street Journal, citing sources, said the plane had a history of engine problems and hadn't received follow-up work after discrepancies were spotted in fuel usage between the two engines.

Don't know if it is related or not but was told on my 4 hour delayed flight home tonight that there are A LOT of s-80's out of commission right now that are being repaired. What a hunk of garbage that plane is.

I've been doing turns and we're lucky we actually go anywhere half the time.

On a side note, that TWA version is the invention of the devil. Who in h*ll decided that a lav right next to the galley and a cr*ppy closet that you can't monitor, right next to the passengers, was a good idea? Let me tell you, I walked past the lav today and someone threw it open as I walked past and almost knocked me unconscious. I saw stars and couldn't speak. It was dreadful. 3 of the passengers in FC asked me if I needed to write their name on a medical report. I have a knot on my head like I'm in a Flintstones cartoon. That version needs to GO. It was also so loud you'd think a window was open. :down:

Don't know if it is related or not but was told on my 4 hour delayed flight home tonight that there are A LOT of s-80's out of commission right now that are being repaired. What a hunk of garbage that plane is.

I've been doing turns and we're lucky we actually go anywhere half the time.

On a side note, that TWA version is the invention of the devil. Who in h*ll decided that a lav right next to the galley and a cr*ppy closet that you can't monitor, right next to the passengers, was a good idea? Let me tell you, I walked past the lav today and someone threw it open as I walked past and almost knocked me unconscious. I saw stars and couldn't speak. It was dreadful. 3 of the passengers in FC asked me if I needed to write their name on a medical report. I have a knot on my head like I'm in a Flintstones cartoon. That version needs to GO. It was also so loud you'd think a window was open. :down:
This may be OT, but YOU MUST write up an IOD report and get an exam tomorrow! With our new IOD rules if we don't see a physician within 24 hours we are not covered ever. I am advising this so you can cover yourself and your ass in the future. My sons friend had a slight head injury years ago and it affected him 9 years later! He has had 6 grand mal seizures in the past year. I am not saying your case is as extreme, but until AA is held accountable for every single injury that occurs on our airplanes, nothing will change!