SAFETY OVERSIGHT

Sorry bubbletoy, SWA is going to feel heat from this for quite some time to come. And yes it is enjoyable because you guys have operated around the regs for many years. Time to act like an airline. Going to be more to follow on the flight operations safety side of this. I think the FAA is just hitting the tip of the iceberg on this one. From the rumors I hear the ax is going to be swinging at many SWA departments.

Oh Magsau, "bubbletoy" you sir are so witty.

I cannot even think to a battle of wits with you. Ah yes the Ax swinging and blah, blah, blah.

Whatever. I wish that this Francis guy would have talked to you before giving his interview with the "Post" because I am sure that he would have been much more knowledgeable as to the way we operate.

"Should passengers, regulators and Congress be concerned? Sure. But does it mean the system is less safe? I don't think you can say that," says Robert Francis, a former vice chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board who investigated the ValuJet crash in the Florida Everglades and the explosion of a TWA plane over Long Island, both in 1996.

The breach, he says, perhaps made flying the Southwest planes involved " very, very, very marginally less safe , but safety redundancies are enormous.'' The possibility that Southwest's lapse would lead to a crash is "way, way, way out there on the probability scale."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8031401786.html

Sorry bubbletoy, SWA is going to feel heat from this for quite some time to come. And yes it is enjoyable because you guys have operated around the regs for many years. Time to act like an airline. Going to be more to follow on the flight operations safety side of this. I think the FAA is just hitting the tip of the iceberg on this one. From the rumors I hear the ax is going to be swinging at many SWA departments.

Oh Magsau, "bubbletoy" you sir are so witty.

I cannot even think to a battle of wits with you. Ah yes the Ax swinging and blah, blah, blah.

Whatever. I wish that this Francis guy would have talked to you before giving his interview with the "Post" because I am sure that he would have been much more knowledgeable as to the way we operate.

"Should passengers, regulators and Congress be concerned? Sure. But does it mean the system is less safe? I don't think you can say that," says Robert Francis, a former vice chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board who investigated the ValuJet crash in the Florida Everglades and the explosion of a TWA plane over Long Island, both in 1996.

The breach, he says, perhaps made flying the Southwest planes involved " very, very, very marginally less safe , but safety redundancies are enormous.'' The possibility that Southwest's lapse would lead to a crash is "way, way, way out there on the probability scale."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8031401786.html

Thanks for clearing this up. :blink:

I did not realize that this was a 'soft' AD that could be deferred at a whim.
'ALL' ADs I worked on were mandatory.
Hope this precedent sticks because it will make my job allot easier. :lol:
PAX might not like it but it will save money (until the insurance premium exceeds losses)...:p

B) UT

More SWA and admition of UNSAFE practices......Kelly says: "I am not satisfied we are as compliant" with maintenance requirements "or as safe as we could be,"

Are you so sure your beloved UAL is as compliant and as safe as they could be? I just heard they voluntarily grounded several 74s.

Now that a can of worms has been opened...

FAA has to show that it's doing its job!

It may be a problem worldwide, but only US operators are REQUIRED to make inspections.

To further qualify your post, this applies only to US Air Carriers and not their contractors that contract their services to sub contractors.

The onus is being put on the ‘American’ Part 121 carriers while ignoring ‘ALL’ of the Part 145 MRO operations.

Not to mention the overseas MRO contractors and :lol: foreign operators that do not comply with US FAA regulations.

The facilities that ‘should’ be audited are not, and never will be.

JMHO, it is a freaking mess!!!

B) UT

Edited by Moderator. Please do not quote long posts from the same thread if you have no comment about them. And please, edit the quote to only the statements you want to comment on. Thanks.

And how about if you have some new information, just start a new topic, instead of dredging up one dead, four months ago :rolleyes:

here's some--------->Yahoo article

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Regulators upheld a record $10.2 million fine against Southwest Airlines Co (NYSE:LUV - News) for alleged safety violations and want payment this month, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said on Friday.

Apologies to Ralph, and the rest. I thought starting over would be better than resurrecting the five month dead topic. My bad. I still wanted to address the partial posting of information.

The rest of the article says we're still "reviewing our options" ie: still not done on our side, but thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Here's the REST of the story.

Reuters: FAA seeks payment ....on Friday. (previously quoted)

The FAA said in a letter to the airline and its legal counsel this week that the civil penalty "is appropriate" and would remain at the proposed amount.

The agency said it would turn the matter over to the Justice Department if payment was not received by August 29.

Southwest said the notification "was part of the process" and the company was reviewing its options. It declined to comment further.

Southwest met in April with FAA officials as part of an informal review of the fine proposed in March for alleged maintenance shortcomings.

It is common for airlines to appeal fines, and in many cases the penalty is reduced.

The FAA said Southwest had failed to inspect Boeing 737s for structural cracks and continued to fly those aircraft even after notifying the agency that it had missed a deadline to complete the work.

Southwest, the biggest U.S. airline by market value and the healthiest financially among major carriers, said it responded appropriately to the problem and never compromised flight safety.

The FAA said there were no safety incidents related to the missed inspections.

The case was triggered by whistle-blower complaints to Congress, which put pressure on the FAA to step up safety oversight of the industry.

The FAA on Thursday proposed a $7.1 million fine against American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp (NYSE:AMR - News), for alleged safety violations and other problems.

American called the penalty excessive.
here's some--------->Yahoo article

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Regulators upheld a record $10.2 million fine against Southwest Airlines Co (NYSE:LUV - News) for alleged safety violations and want payment this month, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said on Friday.

Latest posts