SAFETY

NevadaHP

Senior
Aug 15, 2005
Well the company today sunk to an all-time LOW. They suspended an 8 yr employee for first refusing to pushback a plane that the jetway was still connected to, because it broke in LAS. They than told him to wingwalk and he told them that if he was required to wingwalk he would hold the X sign and thats where he was told he was suspended for insubordination. All this employee was trying to do was be safe, not damage the plane or put crew and passengers in the way of safety. He was first told suspended pending file review than came the well only suspended for the rest of his shift. The company has TRIED the safety tickets with no sucess in LAS and now they want to suspend people for being safe? I cant wait to see the outcome in the grievance procedure, hopefully the manager involved gets a nice ass chewin, for disreguarding safety.

There's gotta be more to this story. There's no way one of our Capts. would allow a pushback to commence with the jetway still pulled up to the plane anyway.

Why do I suspect that the FAA would be interested in this as long as the truth is as it has been presented here?

There's gotta be more to this story. There's no way one of our Capts. would allow a pushback to commence with the jetway still pulled up to the plane anyway.

I know that a captain with 20+ years would not let that happen.....

We had an incident in CLT years ago with a brand new 757.

Capt told the person on the pushback, "doorlights out, brakes off, ready to push", the only thing is that the jetway was still attached to the L2 door and when the push occured bent the door and put a gash down the side of the plane.

Gee guess the doorlights out light was on and so was the message on the EICAS.

They suspended an 8 yr employee for first refusing to pushback a plane that the jetway was still connected to, because it broke in LAS.

Isn't there supposed to be a 2 inch gap between the jetway and aircraft? So technically they are not connected. I've seen this done a few times. If the captain is OK with it then what is the problem? If there is no danger to aircraft, passengers and crew then why not push it off gate? And of course, you must shut the door, duh!

thats the full story and 2 in never happens, dont forget the pitol tubes. The captain did allow push. the plane was a fully loaded 737 going to DFW. No mechanics on board. Airport operations was asked where their jetway mover was and they didnt know.

Suppose to be at least five feet away from the plane and behind the safety box painted on the ramp.

Ramp Photo
Check out the safety lines.