SAFETY

This is not good. Remember Forklift Joe? Going around the rules for convenience can actually break the plane and kill people.

All this employee was trying to do was be safe, not damage the plane or put crew and passengers in the way of safety.

How would this put the crew and pax in danger? I've seen this done twice without incident. They simply pushed the nose away from the jetway before pushing back.

Did they break anything?

No, what they did was yank the towbar and nose gear to the right so that when they pushed out it was angled to not hit the jetway. But god forbid we bring a plane down the J-line and the jetway not be correctly in the BOX they have a #### fit. Its all in convienace to the company, safety first until it becomes an inconvienace to them. I was hoping they hit the jetway, boy wouldnt that have been funny.

As a mechanic and a shop steward I think he did the right thing by refusing if he was not comfortable with that action - nothing wrong making the supervisor get off his a** to do it.

It can be done, and I've seen it done, but it shouldn't be done. You're taking your career in your own hands, and the company will hang you out to dry, even if a supervisor asks you to do it.

Basic union 101: The company CANNOT order you to perform an unsafe act, nor can they waive company policy regarding safety.

I'd recommend the agent get a steward who actually represents agents, rather than one bucking for:

a: A supervisor position, or

b: A union position.

With decent representation, the agent will prevail. As he should.

Hint: Wouldn't hurt for the agent to bone up on DFR, and mention it a time or two.

You have a weird sense of humor. They were just trying to accomodate the passengers. They made a judgment call and it worked.

No, you are weird.

The dude did the right thing.

What if the "judgment call" did not "work"? I've had two sheared tow bars last week. The plane went other than expected directions.

Can we assume stripped pitots or worse.? Are you, like, B717, just plain stupid?

This is BS the guy would get in trouble for pushing it in PHL.This is selective screwing with the employee's nothing more.$ managers have been fired in PHL in the last couple of months,now they have orders to right at least four people up a day.For safety no less,so who is right,you push it you get written up,you dont you get written up.Were still headed the wrong way man....down down down...

No, you are weird.

The dude did the right thing.
Did you even read what he said. I don't find any company accident funny....... :down:

I was hoping they hit the jetway, boy wouldnt that have been funny.

Yeah, real funny eh!

What if the "judgment call" did not "work"?

You can play the "what if" game all day if you want but someone's got to step up to the plate and make things work. I belive everybody was on board with this plan ,including the captain.

You can play the "what if" game all day if you want but someone's got to step up to the plate and make things work. I belive everybody was on board with this plan ,including the captain.

And if the employee had so much as scratched the paint on the door with his 'Stepping up' they would have burned him at the stake for "Failing to observe company safety procedures".

Rather than have local management 'yanking the towbar' on the push, why didn't they have passenger service simply move the bridge backwards?

I've held many an aircraft (Arriving and Departing) due to the jetbridge wheels not being in their designated box.

Management comes running, yelling about delays but once I point out the improperly parked jetbridge, they get in touch with the ramp tower and get passenger service to move the bridge.

What I've seen on a number of occasions is a situation at departure time where there is total jetway failure. It, the jetway, will not move and is "dead in the water". Since it could be quite a while before that situation gets fixed, the towbar is angled to push the aircraft away from the jetway, then back. No it dosen't meet the parameters of what is suppose to happen, but we are not talking about a normal situation here.

What I've seen on a number of occasions is a situation at departure time where there is total jetway failure. It, the jetway, will not move and is "dead in the water". Since it could be quite a while before that situation gets fixed, the towbar is angled to push the aircraft away from the jetway, then back. No it dosen't meet the parameters of what is suppose to happen, but we are not talking about a normal situation here.

This is what I am talking about. But you folks can suit yourself and do whatever you feel is right. Just remember US is in a precarious position right now and anything to make the operation work and take care of the customer should be considered. Overall it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I'm gone from US. This is just my opinion.