Same old, Same old, F/A get nothing

NWA union makes appeal
Attendants seek to limit exec bonuses

June 27, 2006

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
As Northwest Airlines Inc. and its flight attendants union run out of time to negotiate a new contract, the union has asked the airline to award management raises, bonuses and stock options only when it awards union members similar incentives.

Union leaders said negotiators for Northwest, Detroit Metro Airport's largest carrier, rejected the proposals that would have linked executive compensation to that of union workers.

The union proposes that, if union members don't receive raises or stock options, neither would management.

Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch, said the airline does not comment on negotiations, but he added, "we remain committed to reaching a consensual agreement" with the flight attendants union.

Negotiators from Northwest and the union are slated to conduct a conference call today and meet in person Thursday to reach a deal before a Friday deadline, said Andy Damis, secretary/treasurer of the Professional Flight Attendants Association, which represents 9,300 working and furloughed flight attendants.

The union's suggestions, Damis said, result from worries that flight attendants would be stuck in a long-term concessionary contract and would see little windfall during more prosperous times, even with a profit-sharing plan.

The airline, which is reorganizing under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, seeks $195 million in annual concessions from its flight attendants, the last group the airline needs to negotiate with.

"We're not asking for any pay raises. We just want to make sure nobody else gets them either," Damis said. "It's about fairness. "

During the latest round of talks, the union has also asked for more specific changes, such as reinstating nominal pay flight attendants receive when they're on the ground during delays and scaling back cuts in vacation time.

The requests regarding executive compensation seem unrealistic to Gary Chaison, professor of management at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

"But it's very symbolic at the same time," he said. "It's a very potent argument that goes along with concessions."

In a message to workers Friday, Northwest CEO Doug Steenland acknowledged the rift between employees and management.

In the message, Steenland said, ". . . we realize that no one wanted to see their pay or benefits reduced, and we recognize that this has created among many of our employees a level of anger and distrust. Solving that problem won't be easy. From now on, creating an atmosphere of openness and collaboration will be one of our top priorities."

Contact JEWEL GOPWANI at 313-223-4550 or [email protected].

Well F/As...You allowed the company another 3 weeks to reconsider and what do you get??? NOTHING!! What do they get? 3 Weeks to do more planning and scheming. This company has never restricted executive bonuses and N E V E R will. Some have been shamed into giving them back but not this crowd.
Then Doug spews the same trash as last week..."From now on...Openness and collaboration is our top priority". Aren't any of you F/As throwing up right about now?
You need to WALK OUT RIGHT NOW!.

You all F/As all need to be strong and committed! Go On STIRKE and SHUT DOWN SCAB AIR That is what is needed to teach them a**hole mgmt a lesson along with them scabs

My prayers are with all unionized memebers at NWA especially f/a's right now. I know this is not going to be an easy vote for anyone as you have seen the "real" mechanics gone. We(unionized employees of OAL) understand this may end your airline careers or diminish your standards of living depending on the outcome of the situation. Again, my prayers are with you as you wait to see what the final results will be.

NWA union makes appeal
Attendants seek to limit exec bonuses

June 27, 2006

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
As Northwest Airlines Inc. and its flight attendants union run out of time to negotiate a new contract, the union has asked the airline to award management raises, bonuses and stock options only when it awards union members similar incentives.

Union leaders said negotiators for Northwest, Detroit Metro Airport's largest carrier, rejected the proposals that would have linked executive compensation to that of union workers.

The union proposes that, if union members don't receive raises or stock options, neither would management.

Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch, said the airline does not comment on negotiations, but he added, "we remain committed to reaching a consensual agreement" with the flight attendants union.

Negotiators from Northwest and the union are slated to conduct a conference call today and meet in person Thursday to reach a deal before a Friday deadline, said Andy Damis, secretary/treasurer of the Professional Flight Attendants Association, which represents 9,300 working and furloughed flight attendants.

The union's suggestions, Damis said, result from worries that flight attendants would be stuck in a long-term concessionary contract and would see little windfall during more prosperous times, even with a profit-sharing plan.

The airline, which is reorganizing under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, seeks $195 million in annual concessions from its flight attendants, the last group the airline needs to negotiate with.

"We're not asking for any pay raises. We just want to make sure nobody else gets them either," Damis said. "It's about fairness. "

During the latest round of talks, the union has also asked for more specific changes, such as reinstating nominal pay flight attendants receive when they're on the ground during delays and scaling back cuts in vacation time.

The requests regarding executive compensation seem unrealistic to Gary Chaison, professor of management at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

"But it's very symbolic at the same time," he said. "It's a very potent argument that goes along with concessions."

In a message to workers Friday, Northwest CEO Doug Steenland acknowledged the rift between employees and management.

In the message, Steenland said, ". . . we realize that no one wanted to see their pay or benefits reduced, and we recognize that this has created among many of our employees a level of anger and distrust. Solving that problem won't be easy. From now on, creating an atmosphere of openness and collaboration will be one of our top priorities."

Contact JEWEL GOPWANI at 313-223-4550 or [email protected].

Well F/As...You allowed the company another 3 weeks to reconsider and what do you get??? NOTHING!! What do they get? 3 Weeks to do more planning and scheming. This company has never restricted executive bonuses and N E V E R will. Some have been shamed into giving them back but not this crowd.
Then Doug spews the same trash as last week..."From now on...Openness and collaboration is our top priority". Aren't any of you F/As throwing up right about now?
You need to WALK OUT RIGHT NOW!.
I definately agree with you here Don. Lnking an upper managements salary and bonuses to the success or failure of a company not only would go a long ways in mending the rift between the boardroom and the floor, but would also make just good sense as well as setting an outstanding example of leadership. I have heard of some companies using this policy but cant remember any specifically. I would be VERY interested in tracking the success rate of companies who do this.

I definately agree with you here Don. Lnking an upper managements salary and bonuses to the success or failure of a company not only would go a long ways in mending the rift between the boardroom and the floor, but would also make just good sense as well as setting an outstanding example of leadership. I have heard of some companies using this policy but cant remember any specifically. I would be VERY interested in tracking the success rate of companies who do this.

I think Bill Ford also said his stock options are linked to company performance. I also heard he hasn't drawn a regular salary from FOR for quite sometime...perhaps someone here could verify or clarify this...

Latest posts

Back