SEA pilot base to close

Of course, the SEA-NRT route losing money may not be due to the competition provided by DL.  It might be due to there is not sufficient traffic on that route, period.

(Ok,  now wait for it.  It will come.  There should be a two page dissertation diatribe within 24 hours on how DL is making more money on the SEA-NRT route than has ever been made on any route any where throughout the history of mankind.  There will be footnotes showing that even the ships of the 18th and 19th century did not make the same percentage of profit.)

what Jim  you mean there wont be links but rather footnotes..    that just about ruins it all   :lol:

Of course, the SEA-NRT route losing money may not be due to the competition provided by DL.  It might be due to there is not sufficient traffic on that route, period.
I know that you often write that you are paid to look pretty rather than use your brains, but given that DL's expansion of SEA to Asia service eliminates the need for all SEA-Asia traffic to go thru Japan, it should be obvious that the SEA market for all carriers is restructuring.

and SEA is precisely the type of market where UA has had a half in approach that was easily up for grabs and DL's growth is helped by UA's pulldowns.

and DL is adding a 737 pilot base to SEA and DL pilots are saying that the 717 will see some west coast flying from existing eastern US 717 bases so the closure of the UA pilot base and the growth of the DL operation and pilot base do go hand in hand.

jimntx said:
I've said it on here before, but the draw down of UA ops in the Pac NW has really been dramatic. Yes, I know the world moves fast, but even compared to just a few short years ago, their footprint is just a shadow of what it once once...

and UA is focusing on connecting ops just at SFO, AA at LAX, and DL on both ends of the west coast.

the fact that UA used a higher percentage of turboprops up ad down the west coast and has a high number of 50 seaters means they had to make some tough network decisions.

Kev3188 said:
I've said it on here before, but the draw down of UA ops in the Pac NW has really been dramatic. Yes, I know the world moves fast, but even compared to just a few short years ago, their footprint is just a shadow of what it once once...
Pacific routes acquired from Pan Am saved UA's bacon and is still profitable with a little tweaking. Problem is the Legacy UA management has been replaced with Legacy CO management.
IMHO, it is a shame that UA & US could not merge, that would have been a kick a$$ route structure. But that was the 'pre' consolidation phase and a UA/US hookup was deemed too large and anti competitive to everyone else. :p
Now we have a hodgepodge of merged companies that can't get their **** together.
Fortunately, they are making money hand over fist with a better economy and reduced fuel costs. Soon, however, the mismanagement will override profits and the rubber will meet the road, not in a good way.

JMHO, Smisek and his CO minions will send UA into a death spiral.

Just my 2 cents...
B) xUT

JMHO, Smisek and his CO minions will send UA into a death spiral.

Just my 2 cents...
B) xUT
[/quote]

+1

Back