Usairways Crew Base Closings?

WOW ! ! ! ! All those 1-day trips comming. And we thought LGA and BOS went junior before. Whew.... good luck trying to commute there. Next to impossible. Out early and in late.

The one-day Shuttle trips will be 6-leg, 5-leg, and 4-leg trips that will all have at least 5 hours of hard time per day and longer duty days. There will be Shuttle quick turns with only one deadhead crew per day.

The Crew Pairing Change will occur with the November 14 schedule change and is permanent. The quick turns, triangle patterns, increased aircraft/crew productivity, and elimination of crew hotel/per diem expense will save US Airways millions of dollars per year and has already permitted one Shuttle dedicated aircraft to be redeployed for other mainline flying.

Travelpro72, you're right -- BOS, DCA, & LGA will become more junior.

Moreover, the BOS, DCA, & LGA crew bases are getting larger and I understand the bases will get even more one-day mainline point-to-point flying, which will require even more crews to be based there to realize the economic benefits.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Can I ask a dumb question?

What is a crew base exactly? I assume it means your bid starts and ends there?
If that is all really what are the associated cost? I guess in the past they had support offices, HR-Benefits things like that. It would seem in this day and age you could get by with none of that, doing it all over the internet & phone?
From an OPS stand point I see the advantages of having home grown crews and back ups in any particular city.

It would be in HPs best interest to keep all the east coast bases open. If they ever did close BOS, I'm going to PHX. ;)

USA320Pilot said:
The one-day Shuttle trips will be 6-leg, 5-leg, and 4-leg trips that will all have at least 5 hours of hard time per day and longer duty days. There will be Shuttle quick turns with only one deadhead crew per day.
[post="293381"][/post]​

SKY HIGH states: For those of you in BOS, DCA and LGA. The reduction of multiple day trips is basically another PAY CUT. NO PER DIEM (that's a $400.00 cut in pay monthly) and look at the gas prices in those cities! (Driving to work DAILY causing added fuel costs)
:down: :down: :down:

SKY HIGH said:
SKY HIGH states: For those of you in BOS, DCA and LGA. The reduction of multiple day trips is basically another PAY CUT. NO PER DIEM (that's a $400.00 cut in pay monthly) and look at the gas prices in those cities! (Driving to work DAILY causing added fuel costs)
:down: :down: :down:
[post="293435"][/post]​
True, but at least you get to sleep in your own bed most of the time.

Hey A320 ..... why am I, and all Retirees, locked out of the ALPA website after 28 years as a loyal ALPA member???

B737 Ret.

2BorNot2B:

The Communications Committee and the MEC took the action to remove all retirees from the message board because certain retired members, politically aligned with the RC4, were purposely providing false information. The BOS Captain Rep. moved a resolution to remove retirees, which was approved by the MEC.

Unfortunately a few people ruined it for the majority.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The change from Shuttle RON to one-day trips lowers the company hotel and per diem expense, which is even more justification to leave the crew bases open. In regard to BOS, I understand the company is evaluating other point-to-point flying that includes BOS-SEA non-stop service.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

A320 ..

Thank You for your reply! I am certainly aware of the individuals of whom you speak. But I fail to understand why those individuals were not refused posting rights rather than deny many hundreds of credible members access! Seems a very shallow solution! Perhaps "over-reaction" is a better term!

B-737 Ret.

USA320PILOT, I have a question for you. As you know I am not a crew member but a US LGA employee interested in what goes on. With the Nov crew re-alignment will there still be LGA Based west coast trips where a crew takes an Originator Airbus out to the coast. does an approx 24 hour layover then returns bringing in one of the Terminators on a routing say LGA-PHL-LAX-RON-LAX-CLT-LGA ? While this has disadvantages for a commuter like your self I am under the impression that some of both the pilots and flt att's who live in the NYC area seem to enjoy these trips and with all the LGA RON Airbus aircraft operationally they seem to me to make a lot of sense especially as far as saving the company dollars. I would think if anything we should be doing more of these.

LGA777

Anyone who thinks America West gives a rats derriere what they think about anything has their head up that same part of the rat.

USA320Pilot said:
The change from Shuttle RON to one-day trips lowers the company hotel and per diem expense, which is even more justification to leave the crew bases open. In regard to BOS, I understand the company is evaluating other point-to-point flying that includes BOS-SEA non-stop service.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="293468"][/post]​
Isn't hp discontinuing BOS-LAX & BOS-SFO? How would BOS-SEA work? AA has tried this route and later discontinued it.

LGA777:

Yes, there will still be LGA 2-day trips that take out the morning originator to a hub, continue to the West Coast, and then return to LGA through a hub with the terminator. Hotel rooms are very expensive in New York City and the Company wants to eliminate hotel and per diem expense whereever possible. In addition, Federal Air Regulations limit pilot daily block hours to eight hours per day, thus the only way to have direct West Coast flights from LGA is to fly 2-day trips through the hubs. Direct flights from New York City to the West Coast also have a marketing and CRS advantage.

The Shuttle changes are about saving money with increase aircraft/aircrew productivity and lowering hotel and per diem expense. The company will reduce its hotel rooms by 40 per night in Shuttle markets, lower hotel/per diem expense by $2 million per year, and further lower its unit costs by increasing the block hour to aircraft ratio/crew productivity (that means less jobs), all of which will solidify the Shuttle markets as crew bases.

In regard to BOS-SEA, US Airways provides ground service to Alaska who serves this market and I understand they do very well.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Thanks for the reply and good news USA320PILOT. As far AS BOS-SEA yes they do very well however there are lots more connecting oportunties in SEA on AS and Horizon than there are on US in BOS. On the other hand US is much more well known in BOS than AS as well as a large frequent flyer base. Perhaps customers from the MHT/PVD/BDL area would drive to BOS for a nonstop.

LGA777