Usairways Crew Base Closings?

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
Strictly rumor, but the word is starting to circulate that LGA, BOS, and DCA will be closing as pilot and F/A bases as the integration of operations begins.

From the pilot side, I think it would be a great idea if only in the sense that we would be rid of the weak-sister ALPA reps and the senatorial-vote supported MEC officers. IOW, Pollock would be sent packing. I'll bet a C-note that if Pollock loses his job as MEC chair that he will find a cushy sinecure office at ALPA National's Herndon office. My guess is that the bronze plaque engraved with his name is already finished and ready to be place on the door.

This is the legacy of someone who almost single-handedly led the pilot profession down the tubes on March 31, 2003. And he has the gall to refer to his constituency thus: "...the ignorant, the self-serving, the lazy and the jerk-offs..." when speaking of those who opposed his blitzkreig.

The AWA pilots should be hoping that these base closures do indeed take place. With only two crew bases of their own, there is little chance that they could unseat Pollock who has unwavering support from these 3 tiny bases, which nevertheless hold 6 senatorial votes.

AWA Pilots: PRAY that LGA, BOS and DCA close. You DON'T want F/O Pollock running your union. Believe me!

BWI, INT/GSO, LAX, ORF, ROA, MIA, etc were crew bases when we had a significantly larger presence at each station. Many of the "out" station crew bases were consolidated into the hubs because it made sense operationally. LAX and BWI were eliminated when the flight operations there were reduced to a point that it economically did not make sense. Given the size of our operations in LGA, DCA and BOS - coupled with the costs associated with overnighting crews in these bases - it would be highly unlikely that these bases would close. Never say never......but economically speaking, it doesn't make sense to close them if we are trying to contain costs.

MarkMyWords said:
BWI, INT/GSO, LAX, ORF, ROA, MIA, etc were crew bases when we had a significantly larger presence at each station. Many of the "out" station crew bases were consolidated into the hubs because it made sense operationally. LAX and BWI were eliminated when the flight operations there were reduced to a point that it economically did not make sense. Given the size of our operations in LGA, DCA and BOS - coupled with the costs associated with overnighting crews in these bases - it would be highly unlikely that these bases would close. Never say never......but economically speaking, it doesn't make sense to close them if we are trying to contain costs.
[post="293186"][/post]​

BOS ops are not that huge that a consolidation with LGA would be out of the question. (There is already consolidated administration on the pilot end of these bases.) LGA/JFK co-terminal would make sense. DCA could also be absorbed in short order as Republic EMB170's start to take over the mid-day shuttle runs. (They will. Mark MY words!)

The cry for opening a crew base in MCO or TPA where we have had large operations for years is always met with the response that having a crew base is a vey large administrative expense, and it is cheaper to over night crews than to have the overhead. So, go figure. Which is it?

USAirways has had a huge presence at LGA for ages, but would never open a crew base there. The only reason they have one now is that they inherited the EAL/Trump crew base and kept it in place while the Shuttle was always packed and always profitable. Now, it can't realistically support even the A319 between 10 AM and 4PM.

So, I ask you. What really does "make sense...economically speaking" here?

NYC -

Truthfully, what makes sense is keeping the bases. Compare the cost of a hotel room in NYC, BOS and DCA to the cost of a hotel room in TPA and MCO. Now factor in that we overnight at least 14 planes in BOS and 13 in LGA versus 6 airplanes in MCO and the 5 in TPA. One way to cut the cost of the smaller crew bases would be to make them satelite bases of PHL or CLT. Reduce the administrative costs of maintaining a smaller base there.

Yes it makes sense to make JFK and LGA co-terminals, similar to DCA, IAD and BWI.

nycbusdriver said:
The AWA pilots should be hoping that these base closures do indeed take place. With only two crew bases of their own, there is little chance that they could unseat Pollock who has unwavering support from these 3 tiny bases, which nevertheless hold 6 senatorial votes.

AWA Pilots: PRAY that LGA, BOS and DCA close. You DON'T want F/O Pollock running your union. Believe me!
[post="293167"][/post]​

You can't roll call the MEC President vote, I take it?

ClueByFour said:
You can't roll call the MEC President vote, I take it?
[post="293268"][/post]​

That is a true statement.

The PHL and PIT reps would have sent Pollock et al. packing long ago if this were possible.

And this is why the AWA pilots should be afraid. Very afraid. Not on the seniority integration issue, which will 99.9% assuredly go to an arbitrator. But once the operation is combined, Pollock MIGHT have the senatorial votes to keep his job as MEC chair. My personal hope is that the PIT and PHL reps will join the LAS and PHX reps in voting to oust Pollock. That results in an 8 to 8 tie. I'm not sure what the procedure is in that case. If it goes to roll call, then First Officer Pollock will be toast on the property, and move on to his cush ALPA Herdon job.

Look at the size of HP's operation out of LAS.... They have done it without a crew base there. They now have a small crew base for a few pilots but not crew. They all overnight there. With LGA, BOS and DCA having nowhere near as many flights they just may. Hopefully the keep things the way they are but I feel were ALL in for lots of changes good and bad.

I could maybe see BOS closing, but that's it, and I don't even think that's very likely. LGA will stay open due to the high cost of hotel rooms, if nothing else.

And DCA? DCA has 85 mainline/Shuttle departures. Compare that to PIT with 58. (HP at LAS has 104.)

This bad rumor surfaced a few weeks ago. Last week when the new and current US Airways vice president of flight operations Ed Bular held his conference call with Chief Pilots, Base Managers, and key Flight Training Department personnel the question was asked if the BOS, DCA, or LGA crew bases would close.

Bular reported his department had conducted an analysis of whether or not it made sense to close a crew base and that there is no economic benefit to closing a base and there are no plans to do so.

Meanwhile, ALPA pilot and US Airways consultant Chip Mayer has completed his Shuttle crew pairing construction, which will be presented to the MEC for its review Monday and Tuesday. The Shuttle will convert from one, two, and three-day trips to only 1-day trips. The Shuttle will not operate like it did under Trump, it will be highly productive, the trips will be all hard time, and the aircraft will have quicker turns that operated by Trump.

The operational savings from a higher block hour per aircraft ratio, the increased hard time with no Dead Head, 1:2, or minimum guarantee pay, and the elimination of per diem and hotel expense will save US Airways millions of dollars per year. The only way to accomplish this is to keep the BOS, DCA, and LGA bases open, where there will be a lot of mainline and Shuttle one-day versus multiple day trips.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

And the SR VP of MTC visited INT and GSO and said you guys do great work you won't be closed down.

Guess what?

They closed them down, samething happened in ROA and ILM also.

There is a difference in consolidating facilities to create economies of scale to lower unit costs than closing crew bases. Closing BOS, DCA, or LGA would dramatically increase crew costs, which doesn't occur with other employee groups because they do not travel.

Meawnhile, Pilot Permanent Bid 05-04, now open for bid for November and December, is increasing the size of these three crew bases. Moreover, these three bases are converting to one-day trips to lower unit costs and requires a crew base.

The company's decision on facility consolidation or crew bases is driven by one thing: money. Due to the Shuttle, one-day point-to-point flying from these three focus cities, and the cost of hotel rooms in these markets, the Flight Department's recent analysis is that it does not make sense to close these bases.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Sounds like the kiss of death to me.

And when they closed ROA, INT and GSO, US had planes sitting on the ground awaiting their overhaul as there was not enough hangar space. CLT had 757s and 737-200s parked, PIT had the 737-300 as well as TPA did.

Planes on the ground awaiting overhaul dont earn money.