Skyword Article-TWA Senority Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide44

Oct 28, 2002
The most recent issue APFA's Skyword publication printed an article entitled
The TWA Senority Dispute.A portion of the article reads as follows:
2.Sherry Cooper is one of the named plaintiffs in this action. At the time the lawsuit was filed, Ms. Cooper was serving as General Chairperson of IAM's District Lodge 142. SHe is still actively serving as a General Chairperson of IAM amid these adverse litigaton proceedings, while simultaneously serving as the STL Domestic Chairperson for APFA.

VIA FACSIMILE

October 28, 2002

Mr. John Ward
President, APFA
1004 West Euless Boulevard
Euless, TX 76040

Re: Skyword Article

Dear Mr. Ward:

This letter is in response to a recent article concerning seniority integration. Clearly, it will be up to the Court to decide the merits of our respective positions. That, however, is not the purpose of this letter.

In a Skyword article, APFA states that I remain as a General Chairperson for IAM District Lodge 142. I have spoken to the staff at the District Office. You did not contact them. I have spoken to the staff at IAM International headquarters. You did not contact them. I have contacted the Department of Labor. There has been no request from APFA for copies of election reports filed by District Lodge 142. Finally, I know for a fact that you have not spoken to me about my status with the IAM. In summary, you made absolutely no effort whatsoever to determine the truth or falsity of that statement. You merely published it to the membership. Your reckless disregard for the truth will not go unchallenged.

Had you contacted me, District Lodge 142, or IAM International Headquarters, you would have learned that my position as General Chairperson ended on July 31, 2002. This was before I chose to run for STL Base Chairperson. The sole and express purpose for your lie is clearly obvious from the e-mails, telephone calls, and comments I have received from fellow APFA members. The misrepresentation is made solely to discredit me as an APFA officer and to damage my professional reputation. The direct inference is “dual unionism.â€￾

Under New York Times v. Sullivan, the United States Supreme Court upheld the right of a public official to sue a news organization for punitive damages when statements published in an advertisement were held to be libelous and defamatory. Both compensatory and punitive damages can be awarded when statements are made with reckless disregard of the truth. Clearly, that is the case here. If your attorney approved that misrepresentation, I, for one, would question that quality of that counsel. Ironically, the opening page of Skyword states: “Submissions will not be considered if they are too long, libelous, defamatory, not factual, in bad taste or are contractually incorrect.â€￾ Your article failed on at least four (4) different counts. It is libelous, defamatory, not factual, and in bad taste.

I am immediately demanding the following:

(1) That an APFA hotline be made with the following statements: “Recently, an APFA Skyword news article stated that STL Base Chairperson Sherry Cooper continues to hold a union position with the IAM. That is false. Ms. Cooper has not held any elected position with the IAM since her term ended on July 31, 2002. We regret having made that statement and apologize to Ms. Cooper.â€￾

(2) That you publish a full retraction on Page 1 of the next Skyword publication.

As you must know by now, I intend to ensure that you fully comply with all provisions of the APFA Constitution. Included in that Constitution, is your fiduciary obligation to all members. You have breached that obligation to me. If a retraction is not made immediately, I will take whatever legal action may be necessary. Having said that, I continue to reserve whatever rights I may have under the APFA Constitution and applicable federal law.

KINDLY GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

Sherry Cooper
APFA STL Base Chairperson

cc: APFA Executive Committee
APFA Board of Directors

next she'll be suing because they didn't print her name in TWA colors. she's a joke and has only one main purpose: to try and bankrupt APFA thru intimidation and lawsuits. She hopes that she'll be successful so that her beloved IAM can come in and rescue the misinformed AA FAs (there could be some monetary benfits from the IAM in store for her I assume) from the clutches of the big bad APFA and John Ward.

and if you don't like what this post implicates, SUE ME! you've got nothing better to do these since you did take advantage of something the union you're trying to discredit fought hard for: Your Overage Leave.

Commenting on the issues as presented in the initial posting would be appropriate. The responses (2) Ive seen do not relate to the article posted in Skyword or to Ms. Coopers response.....
Opinions of Ms Cooper are not of importance, what IS of importance is the issue, and the facts.

In Dallas Morning Papers

Based on allegations of impropriety, John Ward, may resign his position as President of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA), a bargaining representative of the flight attendants of American Airlines.

It has been demonstrated numerous times that Ward has violated numerous state and federal laws as they pertain to labor organizations.

In addition, Wards organizations officers have violated these same laws. Because of the structure of APFA each of them may be liable for compensatory and punitive damages sought by current members. These members have individually and as a class filed suit in two Federal jurisdictions against Ward and the officers as well.

Buh, Bye

PS: Wednesday is your wakeup day!! The Cart is coming to your town Wednesday and taking away your marbles and your wand. The magic dust, wheeee, will be handled by a real labor professional or two, who will really protect the employees. Your magic dust will be taken away and the real pro's will turn it into coal and diamonds. Not Tinker Dust

Buh, Bye.

Has anyone called John Ward or APFA in regards to the original post of this thread?Seems that the ISSUE of this post was not addressed-i.e. the Skyword excerpt and Sherry Coopers response.
This information is fact.Comments?

Has anyone called John Ward or APFA in regards to the original post of this thread?Seems that the ISSUE of this post was not addressed-i.e. the Skyword excerpt and Sherry Coopers response.

TO FRIDAY:
Yea well its better than any other contract I have seen. Its different than the old tw contract. But its what we like and works for us. It has more protections than anyone elses and offers.

My contract gave you a huge raise and a chance to take a leave with full benefits and seniority accrual. Your biggest gripe is a few trip trade restrictions. Oh the injustice of it all.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/28/2002 10:01:22 PM FA Mikey wrote:

Fact is Ms Cooper is going to try to make a living out filing lawsuits and annoying the hard working AA f/a's.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Wow, ya know first off the AA contract is pathetic. Bad work rules,no 401, just crew meals and hotels by the mall. Trip trading is ridiculous and Mr. Ward has handcuffed both the company and the memebership by his ill thought actions. You under estimate Ms. Cooper and that is a mistake. Your own Executive Board is rapidly growing tired of the situation Jon Ward has created and will eventually oust him themselves. What you had better realize asap is that you and the apfa memebership are not far from the same position TWA was in. The only reason someone doesn't take it over is that there is no place to pawn the assets. Eagle is growing at the expense of it's Parent. You may all be working for 1/4 of your salary if your not careful. Sherry Cooper is winning already and John Ward is no match for her.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/29/2002 5:27:44 PM Sgt. Friday wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/28/2002 10:01:22 PM FA Mikey wrote:

Fact is Ms Cooper is going to try to make a living out filing lawsuits and annoying the hard working AA f/a's.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Wow, ya know first off the AA contract is pathetic. Bad work rules,no 401, just crew meals and hotels by the mall. Trip trading is ridiculous and Mr. Ward has handcuffed both the company and the memebership by his ill thought actions. You under estimate Ms. Cooper and that is a mistake. Your own Executive Board is rapidly growing tired of the situation Jon Ward has created and will eventually oust him themselves. What you had better realize asap is that you and the apfa memebership are not far from the same position TWA was in. The only reason someone doesn't take it over is that there is no place to pawn the assets. Eagle is growing at the expense of it's Parent. You may all be working for 1/4 of your salary if your not careful. Sherry Cooper is winning already and John Ward is no match for her.
----------------
[/blockquote]
well please quit and go work somewhere else if this contract is so bad please save your self.As far as Sherry Cooper she doesnt have a chance.We the true AA flight Attendants will do anything to have our union and i mean anything,So go work somewhere else if things are that bad at AA

There were erroneous posts made today to aviation news sites by irresponsible individuals stating that APFA President John Ward would be resigning. This is FALSE. President has no plans to resign as the leader of the APFA.

APFA National Communications Coordinator
1004 W. Euless Blvd.
Euless, TX 76040
800.395.2732 Ext. 8308

this is the truth that guy Art needs to get a life!!!
enjoy that nice fat payraise hope AMR sells of twa llc and ofcourse ARt

[BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE]----------------[BR]On 10/29/2002 6:13:10 PM FA Mikey wrote: [BR][BR]My contract gave you a huge raise... [BR][BR]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]Here we go again...[BR][BR][A href=http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=980&num=30&sessionID={AA6C232C-04F8-43B6-9977-37F39BD5D8E9}&pageNo=5]http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=980&num=30&sessionID={AA6C232C-04F8-43B6-9977-37F39BD5D8E9}&pageNo=5[/A][BR][BR]

My biggest gripe isn't trip trading although to have a system that charges the kind of money your trip traders do is absurd. You All are so naive. A huge pay raise? Think again. By the time you factor in the lost items it is minimal. You pay for your insurance, many carriers have better insurance, you have no 401. Your work rules are primitive. Jumpseat policy is one of the worst. You do have Holiday pay, Good crew rest. This business about extending duty periods is bad as is your five year furlough recall versus seven at TWA which had free insurance, unlimited trading, Open international flying, as well as 401.
You all are in for some lessons and I hope you are treated fairly when it happens. I wouldn't treat a dog the way John Ward treats the dues paying members of your union who are based in St. Louis. John Ward's fifteen minutes are almost up, but, you go on being proud of your boy and the Texas Talaban

Status
Not open for further replies.