Slooooooooow Taxi

SANCTIONED SLOW DOWN WHETHER NOT CAN BE PROVED IN A COURT OF LAW.....
WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE......SOME PEOPLE WANT IT THAT
WAY......WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE....
11.gif']

About a month ago I was departing from LAS on Southwest. We were taxiing to the end of the runway on a parallel straight taxiway, in daylight with dry conditions.

I am pretty good at accurately estimating speeds and we were going fast. I even commented on it to the person next to me. I would estimate our taxi speed at 60mph, minimum!

I have never taxied at anywhere near the speed we were going. Burbank isn't the only place the WN Cowboys haul A$$. Under the circumstances in this case I would not say that safety was compromised but we were really cooking!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 6:33:35 PM MrMarky wrote:

About a month ago I was departing from LAS on Southwest. We were taxiing to the end of the runway on a parallel straight taxiway, in daylight with dry conditions.

I am pretty good at accurately estimating speeds and we were going fast. I even commented on it to the person next to me. I would estimate our taxi speed at 60mph, minimum!

I have never taxied at anywhere near the speed we were going. Burbank isn't the only place the WN Cowboys haul A$$. Under the circumstances in this case I would not say that safety was compromised but we were really cooking!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

What many do not know is that LUV pilots and f/a's are paid on a piecerate, that is, rather than being paid by the hour, they are paid by the mile.

Pay is done on the basis of a certain $amount per "trip" and a trip is defined as something like 221 miles.

Apparently Alaska f/a's and pilots operate on a similar basis.

U and most of the other majors are paid by the hour (at least for the time between door close to door open). (In other words, workin' fer free while doing the checklist, the walk around, checking the emergency equipment, handling boarding and such...)

Anyway, the LUV approach yields a constant speedup in the workplace, which is why they hotdog around the runways. Helps get those planes turned around, but I'd be willing to bet it is pretty stressful on the pilots and f/a's, and I can't imagine it doesn't sometimes lead to corners being cut on safety! (Remember it was LUV that attempted to get permission to do pushback while pax were still being seated some years ago--source: Petzinger)

All that said, I hope the U pilots give management a thing or two to think about!

In solidarity with U pilots,
-Airlineorphan

I just finished a 4 day trip. I can tell you that nobody is taxiing "Slowly". I don't know what you may have observed, but I am sure there was a reason. As far as SW goes, they do taxi faster than everybody else. Thats thier perogative. Being a cowboy and being safe are two different things. My passengers, company, FAA, and I personally demand safety first. When the F/O has his head down loading numbers I am more cautious than when there are two sets of eye and ears.
Sorry to disappoint you, there is no conspiracy. I personally think that the US Airways pilots have conducted themselves admirably and professionally during these tough times and I am proud to be numbered amongst them. Take note when the rampers start doing the pushbacks, professionalism IS noticed.

Take note when the rampers start doing the pushbacks, professionalism IS noticed.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That works both ways. We pushed a 737 back the other day and when I saluted the captain off to indicate that he was clear to taxi,he never even looked at me, he just gave a thumbs up. I guess when he taxis over the tow bar it will be my fault.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 9:25:23 PM Mike W wrote:

Take note when the rampers start doing the pushbacks, professionalism IS noticed.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That works both ways. We pushed a 737 back the other day and when I saluted the captain off to indicate that he was clear to taxi,he never even looked at me, he just gave a thumbs up. I guess when he taxis over the tow bar it will be my fault.

----------------
[/blockquote]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is hard to salute some one who crossed your picket line. They might think you respect them.

Do you think they respect you?

--You will need to walk a while longer in my shoes to see what I have seen.

Would some computer savvy person post what max taxi speed the FAA mandates? I could not find the reference. If memory serves me correctly it is something like " a fast walking pace".

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 9:58:45 PM supercruiser wrote:

>>We pushed a 737 back the other day and when I saluted the captain off to indicate that he was clear to taxi, he never even looked at me, he just gave a thumbs up.

Father Abraham,

The info you are looking for is located in the Airman's Information Manual (AIM). I believe airlines publish recommended taxi speeds for each aircraft, but that is just a guide.

I'm not sure, but let's say it is a fast walking pace. From the terminal gates to the end of runway 19 at MCI is about 2 miles. A fast walking pace is about 4 mph. Do you really think that ANY airline is going to want to take a half an hour to get into position to takeoff when theirs is the only plane on the taxiway?

Stick-N-Rudder I'm not talking about outbound taxis, Inbound. When the PA operations calls and asks if the aircraft has a problem, its a SLOW down, I mean taxi. Send me an PM and I'll be gald to give you the flights as well as Captains names. Ed

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 1:21:08 PM Frankie Pantangeli wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 12:24:41 PM retread wrote:

IAM destroys aircraft,AFA practices KAOS, ALPA does a slow taxi. Which is worst?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Your spelling of chaos!
----------------
[/blockquote]

You are correct, also I should of said " which is worse" Happy now?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 8:17:33 PM a320av8r wrote:
----------------
[/blockquote]

I am a ramp agent for another airline. I do pushbacks as part of my job. I don't think I am any less professional about it as anyone with an A&P.

Airbus is 30kts straight away and 10 kts in a turn, max. Some places require slower I.E. LGA states 5 kts max when turning onto some taxiways (LGA 10-1). Other aircraft are different. This is due to tire heating, side load stresses on the landing gear, etc. Aircraft weight and taxiway/ramp conditions are other considerations.