So whats really going on with USAirways

One of the many problems not only with USAirways but with the industry as a whole.
Most of our cost are out of our control, such as fuel,landing fees,government fees, and the like.
The cost that they can control of course is our pay, air fares. It makes if very difficult to keep other things under control.

Airlines can also control how they make their employees feel valued. So much of the animosity which lower and mid-level employees feel against their senior management can be solved by the people at the top making an effort to understand the challenges faced by the people below them, and then implementing the changes necessary to improve the working environment. A lot of problems and inefficiencies can be solved without resulting in added costs to the company.

I agree, though, that a big part of the problem is the volatility in factors which are outside of the airlines' control, and can quickly add up to a lot of red ink. The airlines can offset some of these costs by placing a premium on customer service, to create a loyal customer base instead of merely a customer base comprised primarily of bargain hunters seeking the lowest fares.

On a related note: My parents flew out of LAX on US yesterday. There were 2 agents in the regular check-in line, and no agents at the F check-in line. The agent who finally came over to help them told them that several check-in agents at LAX were furloughed due to "overstaffing." Decisions like this might "save" the company a few bucks on the balance sheet, but it agitates customers.......many of whom will take it into consideration the next time they are fare-shopping. And if you make cuts in a service for which you are now charging customers extra........where else you will make cuts??? Opportunity costs should factor into every spreadsheet.

I can't disagree, but would offer the perspective that if the concessions demanded by the previous management teams hadn't occurred morale would be better - not necessarily great but better.

Jim

On a related note: My parents flew out of LAX on US yesterday. There were 2 agents in the regular check-in line, and no agents at the F check-in line. The agent who finally came over to help them told them that several check-in agents at LAX were furloughed due to "overstaffing." Decisions like this might "save" the company a few bucks on the balance sheet, but it agitates customers.......many of whom will take it into consideration the next time they are fare-shopping. And if you make cuts in a service for which you are now charging customers extra........where else you will make cuts??? Opportunity costs should factor into every spreadsheet.
Why did’tn they use the kiosk that is the answer to the layoffs
Kiosk kiosk kiosk kiosk use the kiosk the kiosk is the way kiosk works
Try the kiosk the kiosk is available step right up to the kiosk it’s is available try it

What we see is an airline that has lasted through a crappy merger. Employees still have a job as a result of the merger but what is the "job" today? It's just that....a JOB. Management 1000% sets the tone for the company. NOT the other way around. Your employees are what carry the company. You can create a business plan but if your employees don't feel valued your screwed. The US employees from just about every unionized group are disgruntled because of the way they feel they are treated by the current management team. I don't care what anyone says, this management team is more out of touch with relations than any I have ever experienced. They don't listen, never admit a mistake, rule with an iron fist, intimidate, threaten and treat employees like caged animals then expect 100% out of them for less in return. Like hell. When this management team resets itself and decides to treat their employees with respect and appreciation maybe then and ONLY then will anyone see some sort of new "CULTURE" foster here. I don't see that happening anytime soon. For now you will continue to see management treat employees with the attitude of "You should be damn lucky you HAVE a job and deal with whatever we decide". PERIOD! That's the US way.

X2! Hit the nail on the head. LCC has very toxic atmosphere towards employees.

Why did’tn they use the kiosk that is the answer to the layoffs
Kiosk kiosk kiosk kiosk use the kiosk the kiosk is the way kiosk works
Try the kiosk the kiosk is available step right up to the kiosk it’s is available try it

This is a pet peeve of mine. I was acosted in JAX by an agent with this "use the kiosk" Horse poop. I was in the Elite Line and I got a fair amount of push back when I told her I was waiting for an agent. She got REALLY Pushy about it too even after I told her "I'm the customer and I'm waiting for an agent". Now I had my reasons as I had changes to make but if I want an agent because she is cute then as a customer that's the end of it. Give me my Damn agent!!! I was waiting patiently and in no hurry. She wouldn't let it go so I go over to the kiosk and of course it can't do what I want, so I call the lady over to show her I can't do the transaction and she has the ballz to not even flinch and say "Well you need and agent" GRRRRR

This is a example of what happens when you demoralize the troops.

It is interesting that the Wall Street Journal and the Weather Channel display the corporate name as USAir.
I'll bet you a doughnut that if Airtran were called Valujet by the WSJ, the CEO would be on the phone in a heartbeat.
Public perception: The last resort. IF JB or SW or anyone else doesn't go there, then book on US.
Just watched the crew news with Isom and although he says the primary drivers of our customers is price and schedule and not the quality of the experience, he later refutes his own argument saying that product differentation is very important and a driving force behind customer bookings.
No wonder this place is in trouble.

What we see is an airline that has lasted through a crappy merger. Employees still have a job as a result of the merger but what is the "job" today? It's just that....a JOB. Management 1000% sets the tone for the company. NOT the other way around. Your employees are what carry the company. You can create a business plan but if your employees don't feel valued your screwed. The US employees from just about every unionized group are disgruntled because of the way they feel they are treated by the current management team. I don't care what anyone says, this management team is more out of touch with relations than any I have ever experienced. They don't listen, never admit a mistake, rule with an iron fist, intimidate, threaten and treat employees like caged animals then expect 100% out of them for less in return. Like hell. When this management team resets itself and decides to treat their employees with respect and appreciation maybe then and ONLY then will anyone see some sort of new "CULTURE" foster here. I don't see that happening anytime soon. For now you will continue to see management treat employees with the attitude of "You should be damn lucky you HAVE a job and deal with whatever we decide". PERIOD! That's the US way.

x3. This has got to be the post of the day :up:

Seriously - more merger rumors??? I can't handle it. I lived through the Mohawk gals bumping me back on reserve when I finally could hold a line...then the Piedmont gals...then PSA...then American West. I can't handle another merger. If this is true, I might finally retire and watch 40 years of flying go down the tube. They already destroyed the PIT hub and I could not afford to watch my seniority suffer. The morale around here is the worst ever!

Nice to see there is still an Allegheny alum still out there. :) And you flew the 580? Even better. I am sure you have some great stories about those days.

Public perception: The last resort. IF JB or SW or anyone else doesn't go there, then book on US.
Just watched the crew news with Isom and although he says the primary drivers of our customers is price and schedule and not the quality of the experience, he later refutes his own argument saying that product differentation is very important and a driving force behind customer bookings.
No wonder this place is in trouble.

I think he's right, in both instances. There is more than one market segment, and the challenge for US (and every airline) is to create an overall experience which meets the needs of all market segments. That is where customer service comes into play, as great customer service can offset a lot of the inadequacies of the hard and soft product.