SOUTHWEST Adding BIG at PIT! Who didn't know that

KDKA Radio has reported that Southwest Airlines will add 62 flights in PIT over the next year. Its looking like BWI all over , nice job Dougie, have another beer !

"Build it up. Tear it down. They will come".

Enjoy the airport! It was one of our better ones!

Sorry, but this is already in the works as Southwest actually knows how to run a successful airline unlike Tempe-----

It will be announced within two weeks....

This is what Southwest was planning two years ago....plus the takeover of PHL. They had been just bidding their time until the fire-sale began. The only thing that prevented it was Doug, in his infinite wisdom, saved a bankrupt company that was about to liquidate that used these two cities as hubs. Fast forward two years. Instead of USAir liquidation, Southwest is capitalizing on our bickering and bad service. Before they were going to take it....now we're just giving it to them. When are WE ALL going to realize that we've got to stop the "US" against "US" and start working "US" against "THEM"?

I don't see how this can be true. Southwest has NEVER expanded in a city that quickly, and I hate to break it to all of you but there is no way that PIT has the demographics or potential for Southwest to demand 62+ flights in 1 year. They are an airline that constantly grows at a slow to moderate rate at airports where they are doing well. 62 flights over one year seems absolutely impossible. They just deferred some airplane deliveries....so I would imagine that would mean that nearly all of the planes they have being delivered next year would have to be on PIT service......

I have seen the media do some terrible reporting when it comes to this industry...and I have to think this is another instance.

I don't see how this can be true. Southwest has NEVER expanded in a city that quickly, and I hate to break it to all of you but there is no way that PIT has the demographics or potential for Southwest to demand 62+ flights in 1 year. They are an airline that constantly grows at a slow to moderate rate at airports where they are doing well. 62 flights over one year seems absolutely impossible. They just deferred some airplane deliveries....so I would imagine that would mean that nearly all of the planes they have being delivered next year would have to be on PIT service......

I have seen the media do some terrible reporting when it comes to this industry...and I have to think this is another instance.
With the great facility that they have in PIT, the city will not just sit by and let the airport rot....if US won't stick around, someone else will come in. SW once said that one of their greatest assets is the mistakes that USAirways makes.

When are WE ALL going to realize that we've got to stop the "US" against "US" and start working "US" against "THEM"?

As soon as your management team calls a truce in the war it has waged against the employees and its best customers.

so I would imagine that would mean that nearly all of the planes they have being delivered next year would have to be on PIT service......
Allthough it would depend on the routes, based on current utilization it would only take about half of the 2008 deliveries if WN only gets the low end of the 19-29 deliveries. If they get 29, it would only take a third.

Jim

As soon as your management team calls a truce in the war it has waged against the employees and its best customers.

"OUR" management team. Say it with me, "OUR" management team.

Should anyone out East really be trying to hang on the the "full pay 'til the last day" attitude? What did it accomplish with the old USAirways?

Where is Southwest going to find the elusive market US Airways says isn't there?

Well, maybe if they looked at the old Allegheny small cities, SWA could recreate a cash cow. We used to have five mainline jets a day to PIT from ABE. I know most connected, but the intrastate market before priced out of line is actually quite large. Fly 3-4x a day for a reasonable price and people would fly from places like ABE or AVP (I'm sure other smaller NY cities would fit into this same category) to PIT for business. conferences, conventions AND connections on SWA, rather than take the 6-7 hour one way drive. Pricing will drive people out of their cars and into planes. US pricing for the SAAB before they dropped service completely was over $700 roundtrip. Make it under $200 and it will drive people out of their cars. Now you fly at $618 with connection in PHL-- add checkin and security and it is 4 1/2 hours if everything is on time-- might as well drive since with the drive from PIT into the city and driving or flying takes just about the same amount of time. And that doesn't count drawing from northern PHL suburbs or north Jersey--Oh, I forgeot US gave up the PHL-PIT market.

I'll bet that they meant Southwest will add service and have 60-65 flights per day...
That's about the same as RDU.
You 'burgers should be happy, you got exactly what you wanted- "USAir should go away"...
They did, now quit yer bitchin' and Rust In Peace.

Why wouldn't the demographics of PIT support that level of flights? With over 2.5M people in the addressable market and median income slightly above the national average, it should not be difficult to support 60-80 WN low priced 737 flights. Adding 60 flights in a year would be quite aggressive, but with US abandoning the market it would not surprise me to find WN occupying the market before another LCC can make a serious attempt there. If WN can support 90+ flights at SAN, 60-80 at PIT is certainly workable (even more if there is sufficient concentration for connecting traffic).

and i have to think this (read: your post) is another instance of naivete in support of an egregiously incompetent "management" team.
both demographics and potential exist, to be sure. but, like the "management" team you endorse, you fail to do the homework. it's just easier that way, ey? that's right, america west kicked southwest's butt in phx. laughable.
move along to the next fantasy...

Actually , after all the bitterness over the dismantling is over, everyone should realize its all about the money. Allegheny County and the old USAir Group built together this gigantic shopping mall/airport hub that people could come through, shop, and connect like a train station Hub. There could be a blizzard and PIT would always be open! Dont forget additional revenue was created as you did not need a ticket prior to 9-11 to go through security. Chapter's 11 1& 2 came and Allegheny County played their cards and gave Airways good deals on the Hangar Facility and obviously now the property for the new OCC. They did not give beneficial deals on the remaining gates space that Airways wanted. Looking at the fact that Allegheny County was in fiscal trouble just prior to 9-11, they, along with Airways needed to make decisions in their best interest and conceding cheaper gate space was not one of the county options. Looking at the majors no one could make a Hub beneficial to their operation as was the size of Airways. Southwest and their operation without making PIT a major RON station could easily work especailly with their current point to point network.

Back