SOUTHWEST Adding BIG at PIT! Who didn't know that

Actually , after all the bitterness over the dismantling is over, everyone should realize its all about the money. Allegheny County and the old USAir Group built together this gigantic shopping mall/airport hub that people could come through, shop, and connect like a train station Hub. There could be a blizzard and PIT would always be open! Dont forget additional revenue was created as you did not need a ticket prior to 9-11 to go through security. Chapter's 11 1& 2 came and Allegheny County played their cards and gave Airways good deals on the Hangar Facility and obviously now the property for the new OCC. They did not give beneficial deals on the remaining gates space that Airways wanted. Looking at the fact that Allegheny County was in fiscal trouble just prior to 9-11, they, along with Airways needed to make decisions in their best interest and conceding cheaper gate space was not one of the county options. Looking at the majors no one could make a Hub beneficial to their operation as was the size of Airways. Southwest and their operation without making PIT a major RON station could easily work especailly with their current point to point network.

Why wouldn't the demographics of PIT support that level of flights? With over 2.5M people in the addressable market and median income slightly above the national average, it should not be difficult to support 60-80 WN low priced 737 flights. Adding 60 flights in a year would be quite aggressive, but with US abandoning the market it would not surprise me to find WN occupying the market before another LCC can make a serious attempt there. If WN can support 90+ flights at SAN, 60-80 at PIT is certainly workable (even more if there is sufficient concentration for connecting traffic).

and i have to think this (read: your post) is another instance of naivete in support of an egregiously incompetent "management" team.
both demographics and potential exist, to be sure. but, like the "management" team you endorse, you fail to do the homework. it's just easier that way, ey? that's right, america west kicked southwest's butt in phx. laughable.
move along to the next fantasy...

How did my post have anything to do with supporting management? You are delusional. Was there one point in my post where I endorsed or supported anything that management has done? If you think by saying that PIT does not have the demogrpahics for WN to move in with 60+ flights that that somehow means I am "naively" supporting management, then that just shows how closed minded you are to anything other than management bashing, and I guess by your standards I would be supporting them. But I am not, and all I am saying is that if demand ever existed to where US dropping 9 mainline flights constituted a need for 60+ new flights...IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE ALREADY!!!! I realize that there were pulldowns in smaller community flying....but WN doesn't fly to the majority (actually, nearly all) of these cities so that can't have much of an impact. So they are dropping DEN, ORD, BNA, and ORF. These are the only destinations being dropped that WN serves. So are they going to add 60+ flights in these markets that US is abandoning? The current pulldown in no way can justify 60+ flights....regardless of how much US pulls down because if there were ever than much demand WN would have pounced on it long ago. The net reduction is 40 flights...many of which are on B1900Ds and Dash 8s and Saab 340s and E145s. That does not corrspond to a new unmet demand of 60 737s.

Well its too bad that we are conversing over an internet message board and can't make some sort of bet and shake on it. Regardless of what you think about the PIT market, Southwest does not expand anywhere near 60 flights for an airport in 1 year. Maybe if PIT was growing at the rate of LAS or PHX or somewhere similar, starting the flights now could be justified to accomodate the future growth.....BUT THAT GROWTH IS NOT THERE!! Do I expect WN to expand PIT, YES! But I expect somewhere in the range of 5-8 flights in the next year (LAX, maybe DEN, maybe HOU, maybe some BDL, PVD, maybe RDU...maybe a little more Florida). But if you think 60 new flights for PIT is ever a possibility, you need to pass me some of the WN koolaid that you are drinking.

I'm waiting for the Pittsburgh to Eire and Altoona flights by Southwest...maybe Latrobe?

Southwest makes money flying to big cities, many of which US will still fly to from PIT.

I hear WN will have 300-400 flights by 2010. It's just so crazy. :eek:
We know, your just another PIT hater/basher----get a life

"Right now Southwest has 23 flights daily out of Pittsburgh. Sources tell KDKA’s Marty Griffin the airline could eventually more than double that number to as many as 65 flights a day, picking up some of the slack from dramatic cuts by US Airways."

I think what it says is they can’t compete in the marketplace with these low-cost carriers because the other ones are thriving out of our airport.â€￾

“Why aren’t they? You have to ask them why their model doesn’t work,â€￾ Onorato added.

http://www.kdkaradio.com/Southwest-sees-cl...tsburgh/1057652

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_278212704.html

We know, your just another PIT hater/basher----get a life

"Right now Southwest has 23 flights daily out of Pittsburgh. Sources tell KDKA’s Marty Griffin the airline could eventually more than double that number to as many as 65 flights a day, picking up some of the slack from dramatic cuts by US Airways."

I think what it says is they can’t compete in the marketplace with these low-cost carriers because the other ones are thriving out of our airport.â€￾

“Why aren’t they? You have to ask them why their model doesn’t work,â€￾ Onorato added.

http://www.kdkaradio.com/Southwest-sees-cl...tsburgh/1057652
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_278212704.html

Hater/basher, or realistic? Step back from all the emotions that runneth over; catch yourself....

Those WN FAs are going to have to come up with some short songs for the PIT-ITH-ELM turn.

With the crazy way WN does some of their routings, couldn't some of the old US routes just be extended a bit... say PIT-ITH-ELM-BGM-AVP-PIT? (or some permutation of that?)

Just curious but didn't SWA announce a reduction in flying out of PHL just recently? I remember reading that they were dropping ALL long haul flights from PHL to the West Coast because they were not profitable. I remember working a LAX-PHL flight some time ago and right next door SWA had a LAX-PHL flight leaving 15 minutes later.....I asked the US Agent if that flight operated everyday too.....he said it did, but they only board about 40 or so people on it. Meanwhile everyday the US flights were at capacity or oversold! I can honestly see SWA adding some short haul flights out of PIT, but don't expect too much, they are setting themselves up for some serious overlap in the NE kind of like USAir did in the 80's.... pretty much competing with themselves.

Just curious but didn't SWA announce a reduction in flying out of PHL just recently? I remember reading that they were dropping ALL long haul flights from PHL to the West Coast because they were not profitable.

WN changed their business model slightly and discontinued several long haul routes, not just from PHL. PHL-OAK/LAX, BWI-OAK/LAX, and one from MDW. During WN's last adjustment to the schedule PHL only saw a net loss of around 3 flts.

I think SWA is becoming more practical on growth these days.....that's the only reason why I'm a little skeptical with them adding 60 more flights into the PIT market.

Back