Southwest drops all flights from new England to US Airways' Philadelphia Hub

Southwest drops all flights from New England to US Airways' Philadelphia Hub

Click here to read the story.

Ive always said their day was a comin...... They are beginning to feel the sting of high labor cost and other airlines like US who are fighting back finally! Gotta LUV it!

Reactions: 3 people
Ive always said their day was a comin...... They are beginning to feel the sting of high labor cost and other airlines like US who are fighting back finally! Gotta LUV it!
US is fighting back??? US dropped alot of flights to Boston from other various airports like Upstate NY. I can't understand why LUV is being merciful to US that it had over a barrel!

My guess is that WN is going full throddle after Delta. Maybe Delta will go after US, instead B)

Fighting back??? :p Now that is a good one, perhaps its just makes goods business sense for SW to get out of PHL.....

Reactions: 1 person
Fighting back??? :p Now that is a good one, perhaps its just makes goods business sense for SW to get out of PHL.....

Meaning they could not compete..... If there were tons of profits to be made US wouldve stayed and LUV wouldnt be running!

No SWA is going to start doing what everyone else is doing entrenching fortress hubs and and not fight over the left overs.
It is all about each route being profitable and no longer about market share.

Reactions: 2 people
No SWA is going to start doing what everyone else is doing
It's hard to believe that we agree on something...

WN isn't pulling out of any markets as far as I can tell, and will continue to serve them with flights to/from BWI, MDW, etc. Putting the planes where they believe they can make more money. In an ideal world, WN would probably not be dropping any of the PHL service, but with fuel prices where they are, very limited growth, lots of new airplanes coming that need to be paid for, etc, they're doing the same as everyone else - putting the planes in markets where they'll make more money.

Jim

PVD is in Warwick, RI not Providence, RI In fact you must go though Cranston, RI to get from Warwick to Provideence

Just like in PA you have to go through Intercourse to get to Paradise! :lol: Some stop at Blue Ball which is between Intercourse and Paradise.

Anyway, It's like Boeing Boy and UPNAWAY stated. WN, just like anyone else has to maximize Revenue/Profit. I' not so sure how much this helps US bottom line wise, however from an emotional point of view this is one for the win column.

Reactions: 2 people
US is fighting back??? US dropped alot of flights to Boston from other various airports like Upstate NY. I can't understand why LUV is being merciful to US that it had over a barrel!

My guess is that WN is going full throddle after Delta. Maybe Delta will go after US, instead B)

I hope they don't decide to move them to PHX.

I can't understand why LUV is being merciful to US that it had over a barrel!

Clearly, WN didn't have US "over a barrel" given the WN cutbacks in both PHL and PIT. As others have stated, all airlines are now focused on running profitable operations, not simply grabbing market share whether it makes money or not. This is good for the industry. It's just unusual to have airline managements across the board actually making (or trying to make) solid business decisions.

WN doesnt have "hubs" per say.
Or, to flip that thought upsidedown: Every LUV station is a hub. But some are bigger than others. Take for example, BWI or MDW. If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck.....
Cheers.

Latest posts