US Airways drops planned Philly-Beijing route

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
After almost a year of delays, US Airways has dropped plans to begin service between Beijing and Philadelphia, pinning their decision on setbacks due to the recession. The Tempe, Ariz., carrier said it will return its Beijing-Philadelphia flight authority to the Department of Transportation

full story here

Leave it to an AA lurker to be the first to post negative info about another Airline on their boards. You truly amaze me Mikey..Nothing bad going on over at AA today?? I guess that someone from US should have posted about the MCI Mtc. base closure over on your boards. You remind me of a guy from DL who loved to post any/all bad press on other Airlines boards a while back. I hope we do merge someday just to pizz U off.... :up:

To be honest I never fully understood one stand-alone flight to PEK. US Airways has no Asian presence and to start one sole flight of that distance by itself didn't seem smart to me, but then I don't play Airline Tycoon. The TLV service made more sense to me because US Airways has European service and has at least some additional resources in the general area.

As for Mikey being first, more power to him. It is news, not gloating.

To be honest I never fully understood one stand-alone flight to PEK.

The same can be said for NRT. It'll be interesting to see whether US eventually let's that authority go (assuming the deal with DL is approved) since there's still no airplane announced that will serve it satisfactorily from PHL (until the A350 come along).

Jim

Leave it to an AA lurker to be the first to post negative info about another Airline on their boards. You truly amaze me Mikey..
Its news, nothing more. I wasnt aware of the restrictions on posting on each board.

To be honest I never fully understood one stand-alone flight to PEK. US Airways has no Asian presence and to start one sole flight of that distance by itself didn't seem smart to me, but then I don't play Airline Tycoon.
Lack of an aircraft to service the route aside. You have to start some where. AA operated a single flight to NRT for years before it got the chance to expand. Its first jump in to South America was a single flight as well. (DFW to GIG and lasted a whopping 4 months)

To be honest I never fully understood one stand-alone flight to PEK. US Airways has no Asian presence and to start one sole flight of that distance by itself didn't seem smart to me, but then I don't play Airline Tycoon. The TLV service made more sense to me because US Airways has European service and has at least some additional resources in the general area.

But didn't we start with just one European route, London?

If there's any evidence that tells me that there's no pending merger deal involving US, it's the announcement that US will shortly return the PHL-PEK frequencies to the DoT.

If US were seriously discussing merger with UA or CO or AA, I would have thought that Parker would hold off on making this announcement, since the frequencies would follow along in a merger; wouldn't each of those airlines like to have another China flight without having to compete for it? Of course, next year more frequencies become available and they aren't the license to print money that China used to be.

The same can be said for NRT. It'll be interesting to see whether US eventually let's that authority go (assuming the deal with DL is approved) since there's still no airplane announced that will serve it satisfactorily from PHL (until the A350 come along).

Jim

I'm certainly glad you two weren't advising Bill Howard not to start Charlotte-London service because little old Piedmont had no presence at all in Europe.

Let's not go to XXX because we don't already go to XXX makes great sense.

But TLV is a good idea because we already have presence in the area? So, where else on the Asian continent does LCC have presence?

Hey, let's cancel Rio, since we don't already serve South America.

The way captains of industry run companies there isn't enough water available for me to take a shower and get clean every night.

I'm certainly glad you two weren't advising Bill Howard not to start Charlotte-London service because little old Piedmont had no presence at all in Europe.

Ah...but PI got the airplanes to fly the LGW route. Where are the planes to fly either PEK or NRT? Besides, I didn't say I agreed with the "one flight isn't worth it" but only mentioned that the same could be said about NRT. Do you disagree that either PEK or NRT would be a lone flight to Asia for US?

Jim

Ah...but PI got the airplanes to fly the LGW route. Where are the planes to fly either PEK or NRT? Besides, I didn't say I agreed with the "one flight isn't worth it" but only mentioned that the same could be said about NRT. Do you disagree that either PEK or NRT would be a lone flight to Asia for US?

Jim

I was thinking the plan was to fly NRT from PHX with the A-330-200, which I believe has the legs (barely) to fly the route !

LGA777

Point taken (although I'm not sure they have any plan for further in the future than next week). My assumption is that the "plan" is for PHX-Asia since they're not going to have planes capable of PHL-Asia.

Jim

Not to be a smart ankle, but TLV is Asia. I know we always refer to it as being in the Middle East, but that was a British term in reference to their empire. TLV and Arabia are in (south)west Asia. Having spent extensive time there, it one of those things Americans are ridiculed by the local inhabitants as being ignorant thereof. Interesting infobits: Egypt is acutally in both Asia and Africa. More commonly known, Turkey and Russia are in both Europe and Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

Latest posts

Back