Southwest's customer service agents come to a tentative agreement.

Co. tried changing our sick pay policies before as well. Contract already covers sick policy.
No retro, no contract IMO. Don't let the co. get away with no retro. We held out for over 6 years but ended up with full retro plus. They also short changed us on the raises and salaries at first. I am really sick and tired of this new regime trying to get away with pennies on the dollars since Herb has left. They are always just looking out for their bonuses on how much $$$ they save the co. at contract times.
Our new VP of labor is still holding out for an extension next time around for us, he doesn't want to touch another 7 years to get to a contract.
There are still guys that are holding this new management responsible for the way they handled it last time and won't forget. The co. has lost a lot of dedicated hard working employees on how leaders handled and treated the mechanics group big time.
Hopefully the co. won't go down that "moral killing" road again with your groups in talks now.
Buckle up for a possible long ride, not the same co. any longer. Good luck and stay positive, thx for the info...
Thanks swamt. We're hoping the Company and the NMB will work together
to get us a better T/A to vote on this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: swamt
Thanks swamt. We're hoping the Company and the NMB will work together
to get us a better T/A to vote on this time around.

That's good, a little progress. Would be interesting to hear what the membership survey revealed was the hold up item(s). We'll see how the co responds to mediator when he gets back to them. I know your nego cmte wants to get to a new contract ASAP. And Hopefully BJ is spreading his words thru the nego cmte on the co side of the table to come to a conclusion quickly rather than dragging this all out once again. Good luck Sharon, thx for the update, and pls keep us posted on any more progress...

Reactions: SharoninSAT
That's good, a little progress. Would be interesting to hear what the membership survey revealed was the hold up item(s). We'll see how the co responds to mediator when he gets back to them. I know your nego cmte wants to get to a new contract ASAP. And Hopefully BJ is spreading his words thru the nego cmte on the co side of the table to come to a conclusion quickly rather than dragging this all out once again. Good luck Sharon, thx for the update, and pls keep us posted on any more progress...
Thanks swamt. So far, so good. Haven't heard anything yet and we're still waiting. :)

Last edited:
Thanks swamt. So far, so good. Haven't heard anything yet and we're still waiting. :)
Sweet. Back to the table is good. Glad to see your union doing surveys of the membership and not dictate what the members SHOULD be voicing about like some other unions I know.
Also glad to see they are not releasing those items that the membership voiced their concerns on as it is no one business but the membership's, the co. and all involved with the nego process. Sounds like just a few items around economics and QOL issues. That was the same with us way back when. Thanks for the update. Hopefully some progress to a possible vote by Spring, cross your fingers...

Sweet. Back to the table is good. Glad to see your union doing surveys of the membership and not dictate what the members SHOULD be voicing about like some other unions I know.
Also glad to see they are not releasing those items that the membership voiced their concerns on as it is no one business but the membership's, the co. and all involved with the nego process. Sounds like just a few items around economics and QOL issues. That was the same with us way back when. Thanks for the update. Hopefully some progress to a possible vote by Spring, cross your fingers...
Moving right along swamt,,, A little more information. :)

Sounds productive indeed. Hope it's all done before summer for ya all...

Still waiting to hear something specific about retro or signing bonus.
I just hope you all don't have to go thru what we did to get the deserved retro. First co. offer for retro was "0". Our co nego's for our contract were trying to squeeze the members to just accept the first T/A offers after stretching it out for so long, but it did not work and will never work again for the co.
The membership has the power to get what is deserved as long as they all stay united.
Pretty sure your nego team will get it done for the membership, they already know how we were dealt with and are prepared for it. All the unions on property are well informed with all nego's tactics now that they all communicate very well with each other. Good Luck...

Still waiting to hear something specific about retro or signing bonus.
Good morning Sharon. This came across my news feed this morning dated 3-28. Does this mean a vote is coming? And any mention of the retro and/or signing bonus?? Hope everything was worked out of why it was overwhelmingly voted down the first time. Good luck to you and all the members on hopefully getting a new contract...

Good morning Sharon. This came across my news feed this morning dated 3-28. Does this mean a vote is coming? And any mention of the retro and/or signing bonus?? Hope everything was worked out of why it was overwhelmingly voted down the first time. Good luck to you and all the members on hopefully getting a new contract...

Hi swamt. Thanks. I'm surprised it didn't take longer to reach a T/A to vote on. As for retro pay, this is what was offered:

Efficiency Bonus
Provided this agreement is ratified, the Company will pay a one-time efficiency bonus to all eligible Employees covered by this agreement. Employees on the IAM 142 seniority list as of the Date of Ratification (DOR) of this agreement, and employed by Southwest Airlines on the date of payment, will be eligible for the bonus. The bonus will be paid within 45 days of DOR.
The bonus will apply as follows:
Each eligible Employee will receive a bonus equal to $200 per year of service, with a minimum bonus of $1,000 and a maximum bonus of $3,000.

IMO Retro/Signing Bonus should apply for every year that we've worked for SW, no maximum. There were some improvements
made this 2nd time around and I'm still going over the red line edition. We haven't gotten notification on the roadshows yet and we all have questions. Well swamt we'll see how this one plays out. Thanks again for your well wishes.

Tentative Agreement Reached at Southwest Airlines
March 28, 2022

Sisters and Brothers:
We are proud to announce that we have reached a new Tentative Agreement with Southwest Airlines for Customer Service, CS&S and SOS groups. We would like to thank you for your patience and your feedback during the survey.
We would also like to thank Airline Coordinator Thomas J. Regan, Grand Lodge Representative Jeff Tobius and Mediator Gerry McGuckin from the National Mediation Board for their guidance through this process.
In the coming days, the full red line version of the Tentative Agreement will be posted. We will also post a schedule of informational meetings that will be held for contract explanation as soon as we confirm all locations and the date for the ratification vote.

Click here to read Contract highlights.

Your negotiating committee unanimously recommends a YES vote.
Sincerely and fraternally,
John M. Coveny, Jr.
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING GENERAL CHAIR

Last edited:
Hi swamt. Thanks. I'm surprised it didn't take longer to reach a T/A to vote on. As for retro pay, this is what was offered:

Efficiency Bonus
Provided this agreement is ratified, the Company will pay a one-time efficiency bonus to all eligible Employees covered by this agreement. Employees on the IAM 142 seniority list as of the Date of Ratification (DOR) of this agreement, and employed by Southwest Airlines on the date of payment, will be eligible for the bonus. The bonus will be paid within 45 days of DOR.
The bonus will apply as follows:
Each eligible Employee will receive a bonus equal to $200 per year of service, with a minimum bonus of $1,000 and a maximum bonus of $3,000.

IMO Retro/Signing Bonus should apply for every year that we've worked for SW, no maximum. There were some improvements
made this 2nd time around and I'm still going over the red line edition. We haven't gotten notification on the roadshows yet and we all have questions. Well swamt we'll see how this one plays out. Thanks again for your well wishes.

Tentative Agreement Reached at Southwest Airlines
March 28, 2022

Sisters and Brothers:
We are proud to announce that we have reached a new Tentative Agreement with Southwest Airlines for Customer Service, CS&S and SOS groups. We would like to thank you for your patience and your feedback during the survey.
We would also like to thank Airline Coordinator Thomas J. Regan, Grand Lodge Representative Jeff Tobius and Mediator Gerry McGuckin from the National Mediation Board for their guidance through this process.
In the coming days, the full red line version of the Tentative Agreement will be posted. We will also post a schedule of informational meetings that will be held for contract explanation as soon as we confirm all locations and the date for the ratification vote.

Click here to read Contract highlights.

Your negotiating committee unanimously recommends a YES vote.
Sincerely and fraternally,
John M. Coveny, Jr.
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING GENERAL CHAIR
Thanks girl, take your time getting thru all the language to decide. Stay united and get it done if all agree. The up front "efficiency bonus" sounds way short in my opinion but I do believe the first % raise is reflective of that, so trying figure all that out. A max cap of 3K for the bonus is falling very short for the long timers IMO. Someone with, say 20 years should get 4K @ 200 per year, so why the cap? I am also puzzled on the nego cmte recommending a strong yes vote. So we shall see. Good luck to you and all...

Thanks girl, take your time getting thru all the language to decide. Stay united and get it done if all agree. The up front "efficiency bonus" sounds way short in my opinion but I do believe the first % raise is reflective of that, so trying figure all that out. A max cap of 3K for the bonus is falling very short for the long timers IMO. Someone with, say 20 years should get 4K @ 200 per year, so why the cap? I am also puzzled on the nego cmte recommending a strong yes vote. So we shall see. Good luck to you and all...
Thanks swamt. The Union posted the bulletin for the informational meetings schedule for the TA. I agree with you
that the "bonus" is way too short for those of us who are topped out. We've been told that the Retro pay
is off the table, and the union is buying it. We've got a lot of new hires which worries us as far as the vote.
Long timers will be a NO. Voting will be on May 5. We'll see how the road shows go.

Thanks swamt. The Union posted the bulletin for the informational meetings schedule for the TA. I agree with you
that the "bonus" is way too short for those of us who are topped out. We've been told that the Retro pay
is off the table, and the union is buying it. We've got a lot of new hires which worries us as far as the vote.
Long timers will be a NO. Voting will be on May 5. We'll see how the road shows go.
Oh man, educate the new hires as we had to do the same (with all the new A/T folks coming in with new hires) I still would be a very hard NO vote when ya said retro is off the table, WHY? that's a no starter IMO. Why this union is agreeing to NO retro is beyond me, never forgo retro as they will continue to it every time and drag out nego's as a tool in their favor. If the membership would force the retro thru, they would be likely to get a deal done sooner next time. Good luck to you all and pls update how the rest feel about the retro after the RS's.

Oh man, educate the new hires as we had to do the same (with all the new A/T folks coming in with new hires) I still would be a very hard NO vote when ya said retro is off the table, WHY? that's a no starter IMO. Why this union is agreeing to NO retro is beyond me, never forgo retro as they will continue to it every time and drag out nego's as a tool in their favor. If the membership would force the retro thru, they would be likely to get a deal done sooner next time. Good luck to you all and pls update how the rest feel about the retro after the RS's.
Thanks swamt. Our voting will be done electronically on May 5. Our road show here in SAT was on Apr.13 and
all of our senior employees at all stations and centers will be voting a big NO due mainly to no retro bonus
and what was offered was just not right. We've all been informing and educating the new hires, what is at stake. IMO our
union reps (IAM) don't want to put up a fight for so few long timers. The company and the union would rather
get more of the smaller nego's done to make it look good. Quantity rather than quality. The union allowed the company
to take the retro off the table and then they are soliciting yes votes from the membership. Feathers in all their caps.

Last edited:
Thanks swamt. Our voting will be done electronically on May 5. Our road show here in SAT was on Apr.13 and
all of our senior employees at all stations and centers will be voting a big NO due mainly to no retro bonus
and what was offered was just not right. We've all been informing and educating the new hires, what is at stake. IMO our
union reps (IAM) don't want to put up a fight for so few long timers. The company and the union would rather
get more of the smaller nego'a done to make it look good. Quantity rather than quality. The union allowed the company
to take the retro off the table and then they are soliciting yes votes from the membership. Feathers in all their caps.
Well that sucks. Hopefully enough "new hires" will do the right thing. We shall see after 5-5. Good luck to you all, and thanks for the update...