Stage one

Freedom, I admire your passion for wanting to fix things but compared to so many other things the customer see's and experiences the magazine is really not that bad and it is probably (because of all the ads) the largest of any domestic carrier. Actually, IMO its probably less boring to read than those of the other large US carriers. And while B6 has TV's they don't even have an inflight magazine, although given the choice, I would prefer the TV's. Pace Communications has published the US Magazine since the Piedmont merger in 1989 and published Piedmont's magazine, Pace prior to that. I could be mistaken but I believe Pace was actually founded/started for the purpose of publishing a magazine for Piedmont, and both where based in the Winston Salem. Greensboro N.C. area. And the magazine and Pace have recieved various awards over the years.

Regards

LGA777

Good point:
  • Lets try and match passengers with bags, first
  • Let's try and get a plane on time, first
  • Let's try and get more planes so our Mech. have more time with them to fix the old ones properly, First
  • Let's put some customer service back on the airplane, first
  • Let's fix the RES system, first
  • Let's put a reasonable seat pitch back on the widebodies, first

sky high states: article by James Wysong relates to this tread, read on---> http://www.tripso.com/2007/07/goodold.php?page=all

only stating opinions

How about this... Wanna get better gas mileage? Dump the magazine. How much does each weigh times every seat on the plane? Oh yeah, how about the floor of the 737/757 closets loaded with them or the first overhead bins? Nobody really "gets into" the magazine. How about a small flyer with all the info that's in the back such as the airports, beverages and all the movie stuff. Who really cares about the damn thing. Get rid of it. I say get rid of the seatback pocket PERIOD. Nothing to clean and nowhere to throw your snotrags and bananna peels. Put the emergency info on the seatback like the E-190 exit rows.
As always, great ideas from the Rebel in the North!

They should have articles or ads that fit our clientele. Maybe an ad for wife beater t's, next to the "how to build your own moonshine still" articles. Keep em preoccupied.

Yeah, I love those "ask dividend miles" questions in the new magazine - the replacement for "your turn."

Example:

Dear Dividend Miles, how do I redeem my miles with USAirways? Can I travel overseas with my miles:

Answer: Thank you for taking the time to write us concerning our world-class Dividend Miles program. We've partnered with over 15 airlines worldwide to get you where you need to go. Yes, you can use your miles, just log on to www.usair.com for details.

They have dumbed-down the content of the "letter-writing" colummn to appeal to their target market. Plus, they don't need to employ someone with a brain to write that sort of copy. Brains cost money, and that's contrary to Doug's "Cost Neutral" mandate. (Oops...sorry if the "Dear Dividend Miles" columnist is reading this post. It wasn't personal.)

How about ads for AA....for all those vegas drunks and our VERY own. :rolleyes: get rid of the magazine. It's trash. Pace certainly DID get awards in the past. They sure won't be getting any for this piece of $h!t magazine.

If your up for an interesting read you should check the us airways inflight magazine web cite us media kit 2007 , look under the advertise with us section and check out the 2007 media kit PDF file , it’s a load of BS if I ever saw one …. And get this , their OWN material says us airways is the number one inflight in add pages for 2006 . Maybe that’s the so called award they were boasting about in the june 2007 issue .
According to their demographics the median business class flyer on us airways makes 62,000 dollars a year and owns a 360,000 dollar house ,74% of business class fliers own homes , of that 10% own a house worth more than 750,000 . You know , go back 4 or 5 years ago and I bet that was probably the case , but perhaps they haven’t heard about our first class upgrade now for only 50 dollars each way! Not to mention the fact that while F/C may always seem full , that’s because it’s got us airways employees and dividen members who’ve been upgraded sitting in the seats .It just seems to me after reading their demogrpahics section that they caculated a median income assuming that each flight had 8-12 fully occuiped seats with full fare first class flyers .
Pace communications is selling add space in the magazine as if it’s actually widely read , while it may be “looked at “ there are in fact so many adds that there is simply no one add that can stand out long enough in the sea of adds to grab the viewers attention , their own sales pitch dams them . Even the usual gimmicks of slapping add space on items such as barf bags is blown out of all realistic proportion by pace , for instance they claim that the quarterly reach/impressions of the air sickness bags is close to 700,00 views . You know I can’t remember the last time I was sitting in first when I saw a business executive pick up a barf bag (i did see a two year old in coach do it once ), let alone read it . Furthermore , has anyone noticed the placement of these bags , you can see the us airways magazine , you can see sky mall and the safety manual but the air sickness bags are down in the bottom of the seat back , you don’t see the item unless your pulling it out and I’m quite sure this isn’t done 700,000 times in a quarter . By buying space on this item a company is effectively saying “look at us , we don’t know what we’re doing or even how to advertise , so the best idea we could come up with is to buy space on this vomit bag that no one will ever read “ (quarterly cost of the air sickness add 75,00 )
It leaves me in stitches that the marketing staff of the us airways magazine would even feature their business class segment as a viable population to market too , this IS after all the airline whose first class service is SO bad that the frequent fliers of this airline have banded together to form an organization to protest the lack of service/terrible conditions , see FFOCUS .
This publisher has built themselves a house of cards to live in , and that house has been built on an earthquake fault in a hire fire area lol .

If your up for an interesting read you should check the us airways inflight magazine web cite us media kit 2007 , look under the advertise with us section and check out the 2007 media kit PDF file , it’s a load of BS if I ever saw one …. And get this , their OWN material says us airways is the number one inflight in add pages for 2006 . Maybe that’s the so called award they were boasting about in the june 2007 issue .
According to their demographics the median business class flyer on us airways makes 62,000 dollars a year and owns a 360,000 dollar house ,74% of business class fliers own homes , of that 10% own a house worth more than 750,000 . You know , go back 4 or 5 years ago and I bet that was probably the case , but perhaps they haven’t heard about our first class upgrade now for only 50 dollars each way! Not to mention the fact that while F/C may always seem full , that’s because it’s got us airways employees and dividen members who’ve been upgraded sitting in the seats .It just seems to me after reading their demogrpahics section that they caculated a median income assuming that each flight had 8-12 fully occuiped seats with full fare first class flyers .
Pace communications is selling add space in the magazine as if it’s actually widely read , while it may be “looked at “ there are in fact so many adds that there is simply no one add that can stand out long enough in the sea of adds to grab the viewers attention , their own sales pitch dams them . Even the usual gimmicks of slapping add space on items such as barf bags is blown out of all realistic proportion by pace , for instance they claim that the quarterly reach/impressions of the air sickness bags is close to 700,00 views . You know I can’t remember the last time I was sitting in first when I saw a business executive pick up a barf bag (i did see a two year old in coach do it once ), let alone read it . Furthermore , has anyone noticed the placement of these bags , you can see the us airways magazine , you can see sky mall and the safety manual but the air sickness bags are down in the bottom of the seat back , you don’t see the item unless your pulling it out and I’m quite sure this isn’t done 700,000 times in a quarter . By buying space on this item a company is effectively saying “look at us , we don’t know what we’re doing or even how to advertise , so the best idea we could come up with is to buy space on this vomit bag that no one will ever read “ (quarterly cost of the air sickness add 75,00 )
It leaves me in stitches that the marketing staff of the us airways magazine would even feature their business class segment as a viable population to market too , this IS after all the airline whose first class service is SO bad that the frequent fliers of this airline have banded together to form an organization to protest the lack of service/terrible conditions , see FFOCUS .
This publisher has built themselves a house of cards to live in , and that house has been built on an earthquake fault in a hire fire area lol .
If I am not correct, Pace is making a profit on whatever they advertise in the magazine. The company doesn't pay one cent for the publication. You should volunteer to be on the negotiations commitee. Just think a difference you might be able to make? :up:

Seriously, I have said this before, "get rid of that magazine and all non essential crap in that seat pocket". We have high fuel prices and the weight should be considered. Hey they are having you move passengers and getting seat counts in zones the weight must make a pretty big difference down to a few pounds. That magazine is good for getting rid of a piece of gum or entertaining a child. The weight of all those magazines combined in addition to the ones stockpiled in the closets(those we have left) and overheads probably weight hundreds of pounds. Hell take the skymall catalog and the usairways magazine off and you'll probably be able to fly that dash-8 to the west coast. :lol: As for that stuid skymall sure it has cool stuff in it thats easy to spend your money on. The dollar store is also filled with stuff you mostly don't need but buy on impulse. We all need floating ipod holders and speaker rocks for yards. :rolleyes: I can count on ONE hand how many folks ask for an application in flight.

I bet this is the reply you will receive:

Thanks for writing. We would like to invite you to tour our newest Las Vegas development, with one bedroom condos starting at only $150,000! Act quickly before they're sold!

Latest posts