Station closures

So if all those other costs make up at least 60 to 70% of the operating costs and labor only makes up 30 to 40% how come we gave up nine times more than them? $1.8 billion from us and only $200 million from them. Like I said, they werent affected like we were.
Wrong again.Not if we are talking about lifetime earnings.

You leave out the fact that we have been paying for things like LTD, Pre-funding, and medical benifits for at least 15 years.
Lets not forget the fact that we lose the first year towards our pension.

Then you have to add in that we had the lowest starting rate for years and the longest progressions to top rate. When UAL was hiring at $14 and change with 5 years to top AA was hiring at $11.58 with 12 years to the top.You also leave out the fact that some started as Junior mechanics even though they had two liscences at an even lower rate-$9/hr.
Over time these costs add up to huge numbers. Over a twenty year career at least $60 to $70 k. Then add in the fact that the NWA guys were earning $20k more than us for three years and it comes up to another $60k. So when those guys walked out the door they probably had, over a twenty year period, earned about $120 to $130K more than we did.

I remember when AA came out with the B-scales in the early 1980s. I was at EAL at the time. The difference is that the incumbent employees at AA on payroll took no cuts in terms of rate of pay, while all incumbent employees at EA,PA, and TWA took paycut after paycut. With the B-scale and the large cheap order for MD-80s, AA greatly expanded it's system creating more jobs with more Crew Cheifs (with crew chief pay) and better days off (Sat,Sun) for it's incumbent employees. This also allowed AA to bring it's average labor costs down (with the poor B-scalers literally doing all the pulling). The 2003 concessions was the first time AA employees took a cut in the rate of pay. As far as paying some of the cost of benefits, AA was just ahead of the times. At EAL we paid absolutely nothing. You went to the doctor or hospital then submitted your bill to administraion and EAL paid it. Almost all companies today require some sort of contribution on the employees part. The long time AA employee hired before the early 1980s clearly did much better over time than the AA employees hired after the early 1980s. I guess it just depends on what group of people and time frame you look at. You also state that the average NW AMT was about $120k to $130k ahead of the AA AMT when he walked out at NW. If that is the case then the AA will catch up in two years and will be significantly ahead 5 to 10 years down the road.

You also state that the average NW AMT was about $120k to $130k ahead of the AA AMT when he walked out at NW. If that is the case then the AA will catch up in two years and will be significantly ahead 5 to 10 years down the road.

It means that they would have to have zero income for two years in order for us to catch up. As far as us being way ahead 5 to 10 years from now thats also unlikely as most have moved on. Now should we compare how we are doing against SWA? Over the next 5 to 10 years they will be around $120,000 to $240,000 ahead of us. If you add in the last 5 years, at least anoth $60,000, it comes out to nearly $300,000.

It means that they would have to have zero income for two years in order for us to catch up. As far as us being way ahead 5 to 10 years from now thats also unlikely as most have moved on. Now should we compare how we are doing against SWA? Over the next 5 to 10 years they will be around $120,000 to $240,000 ahead of us. If you add in the last 5 years, at least anoth $60,000, it comes out to nearly $300,000.
What if SW decides to replace their AMTs like NW did to theirs? After all, they have only about 1500 as to where NWA had about 4400 just before the strike.

That's right, and once in bankruptcy, AA management would have went for the jugular just as the other legacy managements did and AA employees would have been at parity with the other legacy employees. And all three heavy maintanence bases would have been gone.
Parity, we were the first to give, rather capitulate. M&R's labor contract has always been the standard that other airlines wanted to lower their costs to. So parity, we gave first and forced the others hands to catch up to our lower costs. The only exception was USAir whose first cut was no where close to ours.

<_< Hey people!!! Wake up here!---- Did you all read what our new CFO just put out??? Your arguing about what happened in the past, when you should be seeing what's coming at us "NOW!" And believe me when I say it's not over yet!!! :angry: