Still Short F/a's

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Those on furlough pack your bags...There is no way AA can continue to operate under the current manning situation. We are still wayyy short at LGA F/A's and it seems to be the case system wide....I say it's a matter of days before u see another recall. Hopefully, sooner than later...

What Unity?

Well, you're defiantly not the only base short. Just north of you in BOS we're short too. When I spoke to John Nikides (LAX Base Chair) last week he said LAX was super short. I'm willing to bet after the 777 award and for the holidays we will see another recall.

Here at IOR, option II has been open fairly frequently. Lot more than the past. Most days, they are shipping trips out to other bases. Just saw that 216 f/a's left in July from the AA side and 1 left from the TW side. So that already eats up the last recalls. Hopefully a recall is not too far away.

My guess is if it happens, it will be after the 777 pay out. I think we are waiting to see how many bail after they the pay out. Not sure if they will train before the holidays or not. I would guess not.

IORFA said:
Here at IOR, option II has been open fairly frequently. Lot more than the past. Most days, they are shipping trips out to other bases. Just saw that 216 f/a's left in July from the AA side and 1 left from the TW side. So that already eats up the last recalls. Hopefully a recall is not too far away.
[post="167590"][/post]​

So, they now have a total of 30 fewer flight attendants on 01AUG than they had on 01JUL after the recall (216 attrition - 186 returnees). Problem is that AMR are masters at running an airline understaffed. Just ask the poor FAs at AE. A friend of mine from there says that "technically" they have been understaffed for 10 years that she knows of with junior manning (their term for reassignment) being a way of life all the time every month.

I heard that at SLT they already had managers out flying trips on the 10th of the month, and that some reserves already had 40 hours by the 10th.

So, let's recap...
Recalls since the first of the year--186.
Attrition since the first of the year--564
Difference--378 fewer flight attendants than they began the year with.

You'd think somebody in management would notice the trend. :p

SFO-
OPT II-open
I have not flown one seq without undrestaffing for the month on AUG!!!-
Service Managers are out in force covering trips-mine yesteday on a 3 day..
I dont see how this can go on much longer..
its only the 11th of AUG??!!
stand by furloughed f/as-Im sure we will see you soon!!

IORFA said:
Just saw that 216 f/a's left in July from the AA side and 1 left from the TW side. So that already eats up the last recalls. Hopefully a recall is not too far away.
[post="167590"][/post]​

The above number (217) includes 137 who did not return from OVL's. 55 recallees didn't return, but they don't show up in the attrition numbers since they were not in active status.

I'm told that of the 1353 OVL's that ended, 959 bid and were awarded lines for July. About 100 reverted to some other type of leave, ie, medical, military or maternity. That still leaves 157 unaccounted for. I'd love a little help in playing with these numbers.

Everything I've seen and heard indicates it's highly likely there will be another recall before the holidays, probably about the same number as last year (390). I'd be surprised and happy to see it reach the TWA ranks, but unless a really big slew of people go after the 777 award payout I just don't see it.

MK

kirkpatrick said:
The above number (217) includes 137 who did not return from OVL's. 55 recallees didn't return, but they don't show up in the attrition numbers since they were not in active status.

I'm told that of the 1353 OVL's that ended, 959 bid and were awarded lines for July. About 100 reverted to some other type of leave, ie, medical, military or maternity. That still leaves 157 unaccounted for. I'd love a little help in playing with these numbers.

Everything I've seen and heard indicates it's highly likely there will be another recall before the holidays, probably about the same number (390). I'd be surprised and happy to see it reach the TWA ranks, but unless a really big slew of people go after the 777 award payout I just don't see it.

MK
[post="167616"][/post]​
There was some small number of the OVLs--either 35 or 39--who neither returned to work nor contacted the company as to their plans. As I understand it, the company has instituted 31R proceedings on those people. That plus the 137 included in the attrition should account for the missing 157 because the 100 to other type leaves seems a little high.

I'll be very surprised if more folks aren't recalled ASAP...it's getting ridiculous out there. I can only comment on IDF but most everything I am on lately has been minimum crew like the oversold SJU flights I have done the last few weeks. A girlfriend of mine told me that she worked an SCL flight with six crewmembers on it last week. Another had a supervisor on board who was forced to fly because there was no one else available. She said she was basically useless...got the galley position..didn't want to give up the galley position..didn't know what she was doing in the galley but decided it was a good time "to learn"...and just totally caused more work for everyone else b/c it all went to hell in a handbasket, so to speak (her phrase, not mine)!! One good thing came out of it hopefully..this supervisor was so stressed out and felt so overworked that she promised to push for more recalls in her report that she was going to file...not sure if that will do anything but hey, every little bit of input helps. I hope to hear more recalls coming down the pike soon so hang on just a bit more folks..you too Jim..I read where you're basically the next on the list!!

Tim

Corinth2103 said:
I hope to hear more recalls coming down the pike soon so hang on just a bit more folks..you too Jim..I read where you're basically the next on the list!!

Tim
[post="167643"][/post]​
Thanks, Tim. Yes, I'm #135 on the list as it stands right now; so, I should be in the next recall. It costs the company about the same to do refresher training for 300 as it does for 100; so, a bigger recall is more cost effective for them.

Now, for my SWAG (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess)...
It is already too late to recall for 01SEP (minimum 21 day notice for recall). Beginning 01SEP the schedule will be pulled down until the beginning of the holiday flying. I think the company will at least try to limp through until 01DEC and recall 400-500 flight attendants at that time. There is also the issue that by early November they will have a clearer picture of how many of the 777 awardees are actually going to leave--which by the way IMHO, is not as many as some seem to think.

Jim..I think your guess is right on...I can't imagine how the holidays will be when manning was pretty awful during the last few months...it's a scary picture I'm conjuring up for Nov/Dec/Jan if no one is brought back by then!!!
I also agree with you on the 777 awardees not retiring afterward. When I fly with some of these senior mamas,(and I say that with the utmost respect) I make every effort to pick their brain and to ask if they know of any of their friends that will be leaving after the check is delivered. Most tell me that they don't know that many that are leaving and that actually, some are thinking of staying for at least another year or so. Some of them actually come right out and say that they want to leave and know that it will help to bring more folks back, but that they just aren't sure if it's the right decision for them monetarily at this time.

Tim

kirkpatrick said:

Everything I've seen and heard indicates it's highly likely there will be another recall before the holidays, probably about the same number (390). I'd be surprised and happy to see it reach the TWA ranks, but unless a really big slew of people go after the 777 award payout I just don't see it.

MK
[post="167616"][/post]​
Mark, how many more need to be recalled before we see the first TWAAers come on the line?

Why retire when staying is so much easier? Once you reach dinosaur seniority (and I mean that respectfully too) it does not make sense to retire. You can work your 3-4 trips a month and still have 18-22 days off, receive full pay, drop occasionally if you desire, still accumulate vacation and sick.
Alot of these Mama's are single also, it would be very hard to adjust to our retirement pay. I love working with most of them but I wish I had the chance to get some of those cushy trips too,...someday.

FA Mikey said:
Mark, how many more need to be recalled before we see the first TWAAers come on the line?
[post="167658"][/post]​

Mike, going by the June, 2004 Seniority list, there are 709 of us left on the list ahead of the most senior former TWA flight attendant if I am figuring correctly. I am #135 on the recall list. My June seniority number is 19736. The most senior former TWA flight attendant has a seniority number of 20310.

20310 - 19736 = 574 + 135 = 709. This may be off by one. I'm not sure if I'm counting myself twice in the arithmetic; so, it might be 708. (I was an English Lit major. :p )

jimntx said:
There is also the issue that by early November they will have a clearer picture of how many of the 777 awardees are actually going to leave--which by the way IMHO, is not as many as some seem to think.
[post="167648"][/post]​
Jim, as usual I think you're right on the money. As far as how many will leave after the 777 payout, I think it will be a couple of hundred, but it may not be all at once. Some may hang around a few months before going.

But I'm willing to stick my neck out here and say I do think there will be a recall before the holidays. It may not get into TWA people, but it will assure that by next spring or early summer some of us will be back.

MK

Latest posts

Back