Stock trading halted?

Tribune Co. Explains Revival of Outdated United Bankruptcy Story

Excerpt:
The Web is a chaotic jumble of billions of connected pages. Without some clues and context -- dates, for instance -- we can't make sense of all that information. And neither, apparently, can the Google News crawler.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Google now agree on how a six-year-old story about United Airlines declaring bankruptcy surfaced, and how that story was made easily available to a reporter working for an investors reading service.

The article in question (a Chicago Tribune article that also ran on the Tribune Co.'s Sun-Sentinel site) did not have any date of publication associated with it, as visible on this Google image.
Google News determined that it was a new article -- new since it had visited the site 20 minutes earlier -- and placed the date of Sept. 6 on the story in its index, according to a screen image provided by Gary Weitman, Tribune Co.'s senior vice president for corporate relations.

One article without any supporting data and the market on UAUA went nuts. :down:

B) xUT

I guess this is the natural progression beyond the typos and grammatical errors that have gone through the roof in recent years. Now the basic validity of the story is even in question! I guess there just aren't many editors actually EDITING at the news agencies anymore? :rant:

the Sun SLANTinel never had an anthrax scare, but they are the most liberal newspaper in the TribCo's holdings.

Regarding this news story, if people go haywire over bad information, imagine what its going to be like in this year's presidential elections as everyone tries to "jerry"-ize the news.

The Truth About the Truth of News

Back in March 2007 I received an email from a friend telling me about the plight of Eric Volz. If you remember, he was sitting in a Nicaraguan jail accused of murdering his girlfriend. Although this bit of news happened to be true, I was initially unconvinced and it took me a fair amount of time to figure it out. I chronicled this episode on my blog in an article entitled, "Searching For News." The thesis was simple, we live in the information age and unbranded information, even if received from a trusted source, may not be true.

Disinformation is as rampant as 'truth'!
On the printed and ether... :down:

B) xUT

Alice, if you read closely that is an article IN the Sun-Sentinel, but I assure you the paper was never hit. The Sun Sentinel has 2 offices.. one in Deerfield Beach and another downtown Ft. Lauderdale.

BOCA RATON, Fla. _ Crews began pumping chlorine dioxide gas into the former headquarters of American Media Inc. Sunday to decontaminate the site of the country's first anthrax attack nearly three years ago.

The old home of such supermarket tabloids as The National Enquirer, Star and Globe is the last building in the country still contaminated with anthrax. The poison, which was sent in a letter to the Sun tabloid, killed photo editor Bob Stevens on Oct. 5, 2001 and infected a mailroom worker.

With so many "suns" out there its easy to confuse them...

regardless, any news on what UAL is doing about the story?

Latest posts