SWA now getting involved with slot (s) possibilities

Robbed and swamt,

You keep repeating the same thing about what has been published in umpteen articles and about what Baer and AA/US execs said regarding the fact that DL and UA aren’t invited to bid – or won’t get the assets if they do.
What you don’t seem to grasp is that DL is not happy with that answer. We live in a country based on the rule of law. Just as is being played out with ObamaCare, a government official, even the President, can’t choose to make a decision which is against the law. Even the Democrats are realizing that the President’s decision to force insurance companies to rebuy insurance which was cancelled under ObamaCare is illegal and they aren’t supporting the President on his requirements.

I’m not going to get into politics but the parallel should be clear. There is no legal basis for excluding any carrier in the United States from being able to participate in an asset divestiture based on economic factors. Slot controls exist for operational, not economic purposes, and there is no law which says that any one carrier can be excluded from operating at any airport. IN fact there are clear laws about requiring access to new entrants at airports. It is also unprecedented and completely unsupportable to force a carrier out of an airport and then tell them they cannot gain access to it.

Whether you and swamt can see the legal questions that DL is raising between the lines of the single press release they issued on the topic or not, they are raising those questions and they are not going to sit by quietly on the sidelines while the nation is reregulated according to the desires of AA/US and WN. It is bad enough that a DOJ official is stupid enough to make a statement that cannot be supported by law but AA/US’ execs parroting “DL and UA can bid if they want but they won’t get any assets” smacks of the very same mentality that the DOJ uncovered in the emails in which AA/US execs told competitors (DL) to get rid of the triple miles promotion and that AA/US would have to eliminate the Advantage Fares because of the merger.

You can repeat that you personally, swamt, aren’t saying that DL won’t get slots but that what the DOJ official said, but that doesn’t change that in an open bidding process, how can any party make a statement like that before the process begins. Your decision to echo a limitation in selection is no more open and just than it is for the DOJ to make that statement without even knowing who might bid.

Interesting that just a few months ago we had a chorus of people on this site touting the Justice Dept’s screwed up policies with gun running and that the DOJ had no right to extract concessions from AA/US in LGA, yet now they are all lining up against DL when DL wants to compete by the same rules that the DOJ is supposed to be enforcing but isn’t.

As for evidence to show that true competition between carriers of any carriers produces lower fares and not just a protectionist policy that prefers one carrier, I already pointed out the Dallas-Houston market which WN dominates and where Texas consumers pay a higher price than they would on other airlines including AA. I will also mention for you LGA/JFK-MIA, a market that was dominated by AA for years but which DL entered. Historically, fares from LGA/JFK-FLL were lower while MIA had a premium to the market. Since DL aggressively expanded its NYC-MIA presence, AA has reduced fares in order to fill the seats that it has put into the market in order to keep DL from taking higher and higher shares of the market. LGA/JFK-MIA average fares are now lower than they are to FLL. Competition brought down airfares and it happened between two legacy carriers. B6 dominates the LGA/JFK-FLL market and that market has higher average fares than to MIA, a market that has no meaningful low fare competition.
Same thing is happening in LGA-ORD, a market where AA is the largest carrier by share, has increased its capacity in order to limit DL’s growth in the market, and where AA has the lowest average fare. There is no low fare carrier competing in the LGA-ORD market.

SO much for the theory that legacy carriers don’t aggressively compete against each other or that low fare carriers bring fares down but legacy carriers don’t.

You don’t see that data yet but you will have if DL and potentially UA choose to challenge the DOJ’s settlement agreement.
Their understanding of the economics of the airline industry is wrong and their application of policy is illegal.
Just as I told you that DL would be challenging the DOJ’s decision regarding access to DCA slots before DL issued the press release, I am telling you now what will take place in this case tomorrow if the DOJ continues to push forward with the settlement agreement with an intent to exclude certain carriers.

You aren’t reading what I am saying now because DL is negotiating out of the press with the DOJ right now….the DOJ officials who are trying to make a name for themselves aren’t exactly interested in being shown to be legal buffoons which is exactly what they are facing if the case went to trial.

As for the WA, I understand the process well enough and how the revisions to it over decades took place. And you may well be right about who is being protected. Which is also why I say that fair competition should allow WN to be able to add flights from DFW, something you have suggested they should be able to do. As much as you and I are butting heads on this issue, remember that we agree about a whole lot of others including the fact that other legacy carriers don’t want to and haven’t succeeded at competing against WN. And it also doesn’t change what I have repeatedly said in that WN is a very well run company and will succeed in finding new sources of revenue, including in the N. Texas market.

But it also doesn’t change that the WA – regardless of who it protects – also limits competition at two airports that are part of the US national transportation system and which receive significant federal funding. Limited competition, regardless of where it takes place, is bad for consumers. There is no other example in the USA of restrictions on what carriers can serve specific airports. The WA is patently uncompetitive and anti-consumer.
DL isn’t interested in taking on the legality of the Wright Amendment as long as DL can compete at DAL and can gain access to the bidding process for AA/US assets.

My bets remain that the DOJ official who made those statements which mirrored exactly what AA/US execs said will be superseded by the reality that making those kinds of statements and excluding any carriers from the bidding process, including for DAL gates, is illegal and cannot be legally supported under US law.

As such, I fully expect to look out the window of my Delta jet – perhaps a 717 – as it is boarding from DAL in October 2014 and see you and your WN peers.
Feel free to reply…. I am more than happy to wait until the case plays out perhaps on a flight to DCA.

Id love to be behind the scenes to see how dl is negog w the doj bout that. I also would like to know if dl is actually filing a lawsuit to get the doj to allow them to bid on slots.. as for the wa is dal the only airport that has that

obviously we will know soon enough how this proceeds but, no, DL has not filed a lawsuit to force it to be able to bid on AA/US divested assets. I haven't said they have filed a lawsuit. I have said DL is challenging DOJ's statements that have been widely published saying that they want the assets to go to low fare carriers, based on a definition that they are using.

This is one of those times when I am willing to bet that DL will be given the right to bid on assets that are being divested.... because there is no legal basis for prohibiting them from doing so.

Would you like to be the first to accept my bet that DL will be given the opportunity to bid on assets that are divested as part of the AA/US settlement agreement and that the results will be determined solely by the price offered by the bidder with no "but we don't expect carrier X or Y" to be successful" language?

Remember that I wrote a post on this thread saying that AA would not be acquired in the first 18 months of its BK, someone accepted the offer to challenge me, the thread was reposted this week, and it was confirmed that what I posted took place. AA, today, remains an independent airline.

Regarding the Wright Amendment, I'm open for anyone else to chime in but I am not aware of any other public US airports in which there are restrictions that prohibit one carrier from serving another airport or that requires a divestiture if they add service at that or any other airport.

Perhaps you can help me determine if another situation like this exists.

given how many times the same article and versions of it have been posted here, there shouldn't be any doubt about what is said. but for clarity, here is what the Justice Department press release says, in part:

"The Reagan National and LaGuardia slots will be sold under procedures approved by the department. Under the terms of the settlement, JetBlue at Reagan National and Southwest at LaGuardia will be given the opportunity to acquire the slots they currently lease from American. The remaining 88 slots at Reagan National and 24 slots at LaGuardia plus any JetBlue or Southwest decline to acquire will be grouped into bundles, taking into account specific slot times to ensure commercially viable and competitive patterns of service for the recipients of the divested slots. The parties will divest these slot bundles and all rights and interests in any gates and other ground facilities (e.g., ticket counters, baggage handling facilities, office space and loading bridges) as necessary to support the use of the purchased slots."

Again, the legal question is on what basis the Justice department is allowing preferential bidding for B6 and WN.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/November/13-at-1202.html

I reaffirm that I am willing to bet that the settlement agreement will be revised to remove the preferential bidding position for B6 and WN and to allow any carrier to bid on the assets.

Are you willing to bet that I am wrong?

WorldTraveler said:
Robbed and swamt,

You keep repeating the same thing about what has been published in umpteen articles and about what Baer and AA/US execs said regarding the fact that DL and UA aren’t invited to bid – or won’t get the assets if they do.
What you don’t seem to grasp is that DL is not happy with that answer. We live in a country based on the rule of law. Just as is being played out with ObamaCare, a government official, even the President, can’t choose to make a decision which is against the law. Even the Democrats are realizing that the President’s decision to force insurance companies to rebuy insurance which was cancelled under ObamaCare is illegal and they aren’t supporting the President on his requirements.

I’m not going to get into politics but the parallel should be clear. There is no legal basis for excluding any carrier in the United States from being able to participate in an asset divestiture based on economic factors. Slot controls exist for operational, not economic purposes, and there is no law which says that any one carrier can be excluded from operating at any airport. IN fact there are clear laws about requiring access to new entrants at airports. It is also unprecedented and completely unsupportable to force a carrier out of an airport and then tell them they cannot gain access to it.

Whether you and swamt can see the legal questions that DL is raising between the lines of the single press release they issued on the topic or not, they are raising those questions and they are not going to sit by quietly on the sidelines while the nation is reregulated according to the desires of AA/US and WN. It is bad enough that a DOJ official is stupid enough to make a statement that cannot be supported by law but AA/US’ execs parroting “DL and UA can bid if they want but they won’t get any assets” smacks of the very same mentality that the DOJ uncovered in the emails in which AA/US execs told competitors (DL) to get rid of the triple miles promotion and that AA/US would have to eliminate the Advantage Fares because of the merger.

You can repeat that you personally, swamt, aren’t saying that DL won’t get slots but that what the DOJ official said, but that doesn’t change that in an open bidding process, how can any party make a statement like that before the process begins. Your decision to echo a limitation in selection is no more open and just than it is for the DOJ to make that statement without even knowing who might bid.

Interesting that just a few months ago we had a chorus of people on this site touting the Justice Dept’s screwed up policies with gun running and that the DOJ had no right to extract concessions from AA/US in LGA, yet now they are all lining up against DL when DL wants to compete by the same rules that the DOJ is supposed to be enforcing but isn’t.

As for evidence to show that true competition between carriers of any carriers produces lower fares and not just a protectionist policy that prefers one carrier, I already pointed out the Dallas-Houston market which WN dominates and where Texas consumers pay a higher price than they would on other airlines including AA. I will also mention for you LGA/JFK-MIA, a market that was dominated by AA for years but which DL entered. Historically, fares from LGA/JFK-FLL were lower while MIA had a premium to the market. Since DL aggressively expanded its NYC-MIA presence, AA has reduced fares in order to fill the seats that it has put into the market in order to keep DL from taking higher and higher shares of the market. LGA/JFK-MIA average fares are now lower than they are to FLL. Competition brought down airfares and it happened between two legacy carriers. B6 dominates the LGA/JFK-FLL market and that market has higher average fares than to MIA, a market that has no meaningful low fare competition.
Same thing is happening in LGA-ORD, a market where AA is the largest carrier by share, has increased its capacity in order to limit DL’s growth in the market, and where AA has the lowest average fare. There is no low fare carrier competing in the LGA-ORD market.

SO much for the theory that legacy carriers don’t aggressively compete against each other or that low fare carriers bring fares down but legacy carriers don’t.

You don’t see that data yet but you will have if DL and potentially UA choose to challenge the DOJ’s settlement agreement.
Their understanding of the economics of the airline industry is wrong and their application of policy is illegal.
Just as I told you that DL would be challenging the DOJ’s decision regarding access to DCA slots before DL issued the press release, I am telling you now what will take place in this case tomorrow if the DOJ continues to push forward with the settlement agreement with an intent to exclude certain carriers.

You aren’t reading what I am saying now because DL is negotiating out of the press with the DOJ right now….the DOJ officials who are trying to make a name for themselves aren’t exactly interested in being shown to be legal buffoons which is exactly what they are facing if the case went to trial.

As for the WA, I understand the process well enough and how the revisions to it over decades took place. And you may well be right about who is being protected. Which is also why I say that fair competition should allow WN to be able to add flights from DFW, something you have suggested they should be able to do. As much as you and I are butting heads on this issue, remember that we agree about a whole lot of others including the fact that other legacy carriers don’t want to and haven’t succeeded at competing against WN. And it also doesn’t change what I have repeatedly said in that WN is a very well run company and will succeed in finding new sources of revenue, including in the N. Texas market.

But it also doesn’t change that the WA – regardless of who it protects – also limits competition at two airports that are part of the US national transportation system and which receive significant federal funding. Limited competition, regardless of where it takes place, is bad for consumers. There is no other example in the USA of restrictions on what carriers can serve specific airports. The WA is patently uncompetitive and anti-consumer.
DL isn’t interested in taking on the legality of the Wright Amendment as long as DL can compete at DAL and can gain access to the bidding process for AA/US assets.

My bets remain that the DOJ official who made those statements which mirrored exactly what AA/US execs said will be superseded by the reality that making those kinds of statements and excluding any carriers from the bidding process, including for DAL gates, is illegal and cannot be legally supported under US law.

As such, I fully expect to look out the window of my Delta jet – perhaps a 717 – as it is boarding from DAL in October 2014 and see you and your WN peers.
Feel free to reply…. I am more than happy to wait until the case plays out perhaps on a flight to DCA.
I read the first 3 sentences and quit.  The reason we have to repeat ourselves is because you seem to have to constantly repeat yourself, so just like with a little 3 or 4 year old we have to constantly repeat ourselves.  Then after you slam us for doing so you do the exact same thing in the fist paragraph, so I just qit reading (as a lot of others do to) because you have turned into just another Overspeed out here, except you are cheerleading for DL.

WorldTraveler said:
This is one of those times when I am willing to bet that DL will be given the right to bid on assets that are being divested.... because there is no legal basis for prohibiting them from doing so.

Would you like to be the first to accept my bet that DL will be given the opportunity to bid on assets that are divested as part of the AA/US settlement agreement and that the results will be determined solely by the price offered by the bidder with no "but we don't expect carrier X or Y" to be successful" language?

Again just like a 4 year old.  I have already told you that the DOJ said they cannot stop DL from bidding on the slots.  Why can't you comprehend, grasp, understand, or get it??  You constantly show your ignorance about this situation at hand.  NEVER,  I repeat once again,  NEVER has the DOJ or anyone stated that DL or any other legacy will not be able to bid on slots divested.  They have stated that they will more than likely go to LCC's and not legacies, but they can still bid all they want.   Here's a direct question, did you understand it this time?  Nod your head up and down if you understand, comprehend, get it, or as you ALWAYS like to say "GRASP it"...  Of course your willing to bet, you, as well as everyone else out here already know that ANY airline can bid on the slots. 

yes we know what they said .... I have posted the press release from the DOJ which shows that they are giving preferential bidding status to WN and B6.  I contend that is ilegal and I strongly believe that DL agrees with me.

so are you willing to bet that DL will win the right to bid on the slots and gate assets in all but LGA where DL isn't trying to increase its size without any preferential rights for any other carrier?

and for you and you alone I am willing to bet that DL will be serving DAL with 717s within 2 years after the end of domestic flight length restrictions at Love Field. 

Would you like to accept either bet?

700 is right quit whining, and crying like a little 2 year old. NM I'm done with you. BTW here's a great article just for WT to read, happy reading:

5 Cities That Could See New Low-Cost Carrier Service to DC

by Adam Levine-Weinberg, The Motley Fool Nov 16th 2013 10:03AM
Updated Nov 16th 2013 10:04AM

As part of their merger, AMR and US Airways have agreed to give up 44 slot pairs that they currently use at Washington's Reagan National Airport.

These 44 slot pairs will be grouped into bundles, with each bundle containing slots spread across the day. The slots will then be sold to low-cost carriers approved by the DOJ. This is meant to ensure that there will be more robust competition at Reagan Airport after the merger than there is today.

Southwest Airlines and JetBlue Airways are by far the front-runners to win these slots. Whichever airline wins the slots will have the opportunity to add frequent service on numerous routes. Which cities are most likely to benefit from this new low-cost carrier service?

The big one: Chicago
If Southwest gains more slots at Reagan Airport, it's virtually certain to add flights to Chicago's Midway Airport. Midway is the company's largest base of operations, with 253 peak-day departures to 67 cities. That makes it the closest thing to a hub that Southwest has. Midway Airport is also much closer to downtown Chicago than the larger O'Hare International Airport.

If Southwest gains slots at Reagan Airport, adding flights to Chicago will be a priority (Photo: Southwest)

That convenience could make Midway-Reagan National flights very popular with business travelers. Southwest would be competing with both American Airlines and United Continental on the route. However, that would be unlikely to faze Southwest's leaders: the company has expanded rapidly in Chicago in recent years, despite the presence of American and United hubs across town at O'Hare.

JetBlue might also be interested in a route to Chicago if it gained enough slots at Reagan Airport. The carrier already flies to its Boston and San Juan focus cities from Reagan Airport, as well as several of its traditional Florida destinations. If it decides to pursue more business travelers in the D.C. area -- as it has done in Boston -- direct flights to Chicago will be a must.

Breaking the monopolies
Among the top 10 destination airports for travelers originating at Reagan Airport, all but two have competition today. The two monopoly routes are Reagan Airport-Dallas/Fort Worth, and Reagan Airport-Charlotte. (Technically, Reagan Airport-Miami is also a monopoly, but Southwest, JetBlue, and US Airways all serve the Miami area through Fort Lauderdale, instead.)

Southwest will be eager to fly between Reagan Airport and its home base of Dallas Love Field once the ban on long-haul flights from Love Field is lifted next October. Southwest is already looking to expand its flying at Love Field next fall, and Reagan Airport would be a natural choice for new service. Like Midway Airport, Love Field is closer to the (Dallas) city center, which could make Reagan Airport-Love Field flights popular with business travelers.

US Airways currently dominates the Reagan National-Charlotte route because it has hubs on both ends. While neither Southwest nor JetBlue has a major presence in Charlotte, breaking this monopoly would still be an enticing prospect for either carrier, as the route has plenty of traffic for two airlines.

A city of strength
If Southwest gains slots at Reagan Airport, adding service to Nashville will be high on its priority list, as well. Today, both American and US Airways fly from Reagan Airport to Nashville, making it one of the few nonstop routes where they are the only two competitors.

However, Southwest is actually the dominant carrier in Nashville, with a 54.5% passenger share in the last year. As a result, it would be able to draw on its large customer base in Nashville, as well as numerous connecting opportunities beyond Nashville. This makes a new Reagan Airport-Nashville route virtually certain if Southwest wins a significant share of the slots up for grabs.

New York: A wildcard
New York is the last market that could potentially see new low-cost carrier service from Reagan Airport as a result of the slot divestitures. JetBlue already competes against the US Airways Shuttle on the Reagan Airport-Boston route, and is one of the largest airlines in its hometown of New York. If JetBlue manages to win the slots being sold at LaGuardia Airport in New York, as well as slots at Reagan Airport, it might consider setting up a rival to the highly profitable shuttle services operated by Delta Air Lines and US Airways on that route.

JetBlue could try setting up a Reagan-LaGuardia shuttle if it wins enough slots (Photo: JetBlue Airways)

The shuttle market has shrunk over the years due to competition from Amtrak's Acela express trains, but JetBlue could stimulate demand with airfares far lower than those available today. This service would also fit into the "affordable business travel" niche that JetBlue has been carving for itself recently.

Foolish bottom line
Which cities receive new low-cost carrier service from Reagan Airport will depend, in large part, on how the divested slots are distributed. However, Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville, and New York are all large metro areas, so any low-cost carrier gaining slots at Reagan Airport would consider serving some of those cities.

Southwest is likely to be particularly interested in flying to Chicago, Dallas, and Nashville, due to its sizable operations in all three cities. JetBlue may be interested in serving Chicago and Dallas, too, but it also might want to fly to New York. Luckily for consumers, the 44 slot pairs that will be distributed to low-cost carriers should allow many -- if not all -- of these routes to see more substantive competition going forward.

looks to me that AA/US have sizable operations in all of those proposed cities and would be disproportionately impacted by the addition of low fare carrier service in those markets.

But we're not at the point of counting out new flights just yet. WN hasn't won the right to operate those flights.  We don't even know who WN will be competing with at DAL or that they might not have to give up gates to accommodate new entrant carriers.

Do you or do you not accept my bet that DL and UA will be allowed to bid on assets at DCA and DAL ON AN EQUAL BASIS WITH B6 AND WN?

I will take that response to mean that aren't willing to bet that the DOJ's statement that DL and UA will not be able to bid on the divested assets ON AN EQUAL BASIS as WN and B6 will stand.

Here, once again, is what the DOJ wrote.

"The Reagan National and LaGuardia slots will be sold under procedures approved by the department. Under the terms of the settlement, JetBlue at Reagan National and Southwest at LaGuardia will be given the opportunity to acquire the slots they currently lease from American. The remaining 88 slots at Reagan National and 24 slots at LaGuardia plus any JetBlue or Southwest decline to acquire will be grouped into bundles, taking into account specific slot times to ensure commercially viable and competitive patterns of service for the recipients of the divested slots. The parties will divest these slot bundles and all rights and interests in any gates and other ground facilities (e.g., ticket counters, baggage handling facilities, office space and loading bridges) as necessary to support the use of the purchased slots."

And thus it is very possible that WN will have to compete with not only B6 and other low fare carriers (where is mention of F9, NK etc?) as well as DL and UA. 

I'll be sure and let you know how it all turns out.

WorldTraveler said:

I'm by no means any legal expert/scholar, but what WT is saying doesn't quite make sense.  In my opinion, the gov can, and has in the past, re-allocated limited resources (slots) to carriers they saw fit their criteria.  A recent example I can think of would be the US-DL slot swap at DCA-LGA:  the gov approved the transaction, but some slots werre surrendered.  What is the difference in this case?

You sound pretty certain that DL is negotiating with the DoJ and you're pretty certain they will file a lawsuit.  Do you have inside sources at either DL or DoJ?  If not, then what do you base your statements on (besides your opinion)? 

WorldTraveler said:
Here, once again, is what the DOJ wrote.

Again, I'm not a legal expert, but I don't see any gross miscarriage of justice here.  B6 and WN already lease a number of slots at these airports, why should they not have an opportunity to acquire them?  It seems to me you not only want DL to be the first in line, but also to have an opportunity to behave in an anti-competitive behavior you're ranting about. 
Then if you continue to read the statement, the remaining 88 + 24 slots as well as any B6 and WN decline to acquire will be offerred up for purchase.  So what's exactly is the problem?

I would not be shocked if b6 were to get enough slots at dca n set up a shuttle type as for dl at dal 2 may be 3 flights to atl using 717 or crj

Back