Ted- The Speculation

When I hear "Ted" I think, Special Ed, which is where the United guy who came up with this got his schooling.

Maybe they can get a deal on all them Metro Jets sitting down in Marana.

HPearlyretiree said:
When I hear "Ted" I think, Special Ed, which is where the United guy who came up with this got his schooling.

Maybe they can get a deal on all them Metro Jets sitting down in Marana.
One thing that's still unclear to me: Will "Ted" actually be the title emblazoned (billboard-style, most likely) on the fuselage of the unfortunate 737s utilized by the new LCC, or will "Ted" merely be a marketing concept, i.e., "Hi, I'm hip young cutting-edge metrosexual Ted from [insert actual LCC name here] by United, and I'm here to tell you about an entirely new, hip, cutting-edge discount airline". Accompanied by annoying hand-held camera shots...
Anyone have the answer?

Aside to HP Early: Speaking of Marana, have you heard about the dispute between Evergreen and Pinal County over their operation of the Air Park. Lead story in today's AZ Daily Star business section, and interesting reading...

Well if "TED" is to be emblazoned on the sides of the aircraft it might make sense. All they need to do is get some big square grey decals and cover up the "UNI"
Then, when Ted's dead they can just peel em off again.

They say they're going after the "young hip skier type" Are they even aware that none of the "young hip skier types" have jobs? I guess not.

I really love how they claim that this Ted marketing thing is SO exciting because it's like a mystery that people get to solve themselves. Sorry guys but you spilled the beans on the first day, what mystery? (other than why on earth are you doing this)

Finally, TED just kind of leaves you hanging and thinking - Ted what?

Kazinski?
Bundy?

Finally, TED just kind of leaves you hanging and thinking - Ted what?

Kazinski?
Bundy?

Ted Kennedy? Hey, "informed sources" say he's the cash cow. Democratic National Convention! hmmmmm

Fly

informed sources: description used by people who have wild imaginations but try to sound intelligent to encourage people to believe their nonsence.

From Boyd's 'Aviation Planning':

"From The Better-Get-A-New-Ad-Agency-Department, Phase II: United is covering the Denver market with teaser ads about "Ted" - its new low-fare airline-within-an-airline. Apparently, "Ted" is derived from the last three letters of "United." Others opine that the letters "T-E-D" stand for "They're Extremely Desperate."

The Ted website is a perfect example of what happens when an ad agency is let out of its cage unsupervised. A quirky, jumbled, and confused mosaic of pictures and things like: A video store. Three guys apparently one beer over the line at a Broncos game, wearing nothing but barrels and cowboy hats. References to "denim." A salute to macaroni & cheese. A clerk at a cigarette counter, replete with an advertisement for Camels in the background. (Nice image for the kids, eh?) The whole thing looks like it's aimed at cornering the lucrative trailer park market.

More Questions About TED: Regardless of advertising, key questions remain blissfully unanswered about Ted. (Or Starfish, Blowfish, or whatever this thing is going to be called.) Question one: how can Ted get lower costs when every major factor in the expense mix is reportedly the same as mainline? Fast turns? Not likely if the traffic depends on more than just Denver O&D. More seats? That doesn't make flying the plane any cheaper, in fact, it could deter premium passengers entirely. Question two: what's the effect of inter-mingling different products to the same customers, at the same connecting hub? For example, the Premier Executive passenger from Seattle connecting at Denver on his way to Phoenix. SEA-DEN, he gets mainline, upgraded to first class. Then his connecting flight to PHX plunges him into the murky denim-Marlboro-beer-and-potato-chip world of "Ted." It doesn't seem to make sense, and it's all painfully similar to the United Shuttle fiasco. Some folks in the media are asking the same questions of United and getting no answers, either. (We covered this a couple of weeks ago. Click Here.)

American's CEO last week again made the observation that an LCC sub-fleet of 25 or 50 airplanes cannot do much to change the fortunes of a carrier operating over 700 aircraft. But then again, he could be wrong. After all, United is paying its outside advisors plenty - according to the Denver Post, one advisor is billing his time at over $1,100 per hour - so maybe there's something we're all missing. And maybe it's just United's senior management missing good sense. One has to wonder how much money and energy is being diverted from turning around United's mainline operations just to start a funky 40-airplane non-low-cost LCC.

But the whole idea behind the Ted advertising is to "create a buzz." That may be prophetic. "Buzz" was the name of KLM's LCC.

It failed miserably."

Good luck to the people of UniTED. I hope your new venture will be a success. I'm a bit wary of the in your face forced hipness of the advertising but hopefully it will work for you. No doubt the days of Rosenthal china and silver trays is long gone.

Read from another board:

Seems like the "Meet Ted" references have been popping up around Denver and on baner ads www.rockymountainnews.com

meet TED

And analysis from Andersjt on Airliners:

My guesses on the "clues" - not in any particular order:

Here's to Denim - reference to new crew uniforms

Mogul Runs and Knee Deep Powder - your choice for leisure travel to ski destinations

Sushi, Glazed Donuts (Krispy Kreme), and Mac and Cheese - new in-flight menu offerings?

Lyrics to your own "Songs" - not sure what this is, but it has to mean something is offered that you cannot get with Song.

Here's to Friends (Friendly Skies/Friendships) that answer the phone at 3:00 AM - 24 hour call centers in addition to web site booking.

Vegas with 2 best friends - companion fares built into fare structures

Movies with orangutans - San Diego??

Get into the car and drive until you're lost - most "fly/drive" fare/package offerings.

Know you're neighbors names - whereas Song is hard to tie into Delta, they want us to know that "TED" is a part of United.

Fresh Flowers on Sale - reference to last minute sale fares, rather than having advance purchase requirements.

Next time you shovel the sidewalk, do the entire block - enough of winter, its time to get away to a warm weather destination.

I think I missed a couple, but if you want to read in the clues, TED may be what is coming from UniTED.

TransWorldONE said:
Good luck to the people of UniTED. I hope your new venture will be a success. I'm a bit wary of the in your face forced hipness of the advertising but hopefully it will work for you. No doubt the days of Rosenthal china and silver trays is long gone.
Thanks for the words of support.

As a former TWA employee, I'd also like to extend my sympathy to all of my former co-workers. I still get a warm fuzzy whenever I see the TWA logo.

Thanks again, and best regards...

MGA, I read the article, interesting.... Trevor Van Horn was one of the old founders of AWA back in 83, he was gone by the time I was there. Evergreen is not the same airport as Marana?

I went to the one off the I10 back in the early 80's to watch some friends skydive, very little security, lots of 707's and DC-8's everywhere from all over the world parked.

As for "Ted", this thing is so freaking stupid, I'm sure the boys at Frontier are having a field day with "Special Ted" :D

767jetz said:
Thanks for the words of support.

As a former TWA employee, I'd also like to extend my sympathy to all of my former co-workers. I still get a warm fuzzy whenever I see the TWA logo.

Thanks again, and best regards...
Thanks so much for your kind words 76. You sound like a class act. United is lucky to have you on board. Take care!

Ditto to that, TWA always treated me great as a non-rev, and I rue the day they went away.

I have my TWA Connie Super G sitting on my desk right now...

HPearlyretiree said:
Ditto to that, TWA always treated me great as a non-rev, and I rue the day they went away.

I have my TWA Connie Super G sitting on my desk right now...
Great to hear you were treated well on our flights...I always tried to treat non revs like royalty...I think that was pretty much across the board. Thanks for letting me post on your board...I'm kind of airlineless right now...lol

HPearlyretiree said:
MGA, I read the article, interesting.... Evergreen is not the same airport as Marana?

I went to the one off the I10 back in the early 80's to watch some friends skydive, very little security, lots of 707's and DC-8's everywhere from all over the world parked.
Yep, that's the one. Same airport.
Originally the Marana Army Air Field back in WWII, official name Pinal Air Park (it's just north of the Pima/Pinal county line), commonly known simply as "Marana".
Evergreen runs the airfield (and airliner storage), except for the Army Nat'l Guard (helicopter) part at the north end.
As the story says, Evergreen ain't too happy about Pinal County wanting to open it up to general aviation (and those pesky spotters!) in order to get FAA funds for infrastructure maintenance and upgrades.

Sorry 'bout the off topic...

Latest posts

Back