That Wacky Schedule Program (or)

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
I dont know which it is, but for our February bid if you are scheduled to arrive on our 918pm arrival and come in late or the 1004pm arrival and come in early, be prepared to sit and wait. For some reason they arent scheduling ANY AGENT on duty at the gate between 930pm and 10pm. Our manager was asked why the gap and his comment was "there are no flights scheduled to arrive then" and " if its late someone can stay or the late night agent can start early". Great way to run the station. Plan on having to give out overtime (mandatory anyone?) to a full timer getting off at 930 if the plane is 10 mins late OR expect someone to maybe come in early just in case the plane arrives early, but if it doesnt and you come in at 930 you can sit unpaid until 10pm. All it would have taken was a little change by 1/2 hour to get it all covered, but thats not the way we do things around here for some reason. Instead we'll have Piney and Art and JS all sitting on the plane fuming to get off and who will make a smart comment :p ;) to the agent meeting the flight (finally) who just happens to not start until 10pm about interrupting their tv time or something. Just remember sometimes things at US arent always what they appear to be. :ph34r:

tadjr said:
I dont know which it is, but for our February bid if you are scheduled to arrive on our 918pm arrival and come in late or the 1004pm arrival and come in early, be prepared to sit and wait. For some reason they arent scheduling ANY AGENT on duty at the gate between 930pm and 10pm. Our manager was asked why the gap and his comment was "there are no flights scheduled to arrive then" and " if its late someone can stay or the late night agent can start early". Great way to run the station. Plan on having to give out overtime (mandatory anyone?) to a full timer getting off at 930 if the plane is 10 mins late OR expect someone to maybe come in early just in case the plane arrives early, but if it doesnt and you come in at 930 you can sit unpaid until 10pm. All it would have taken was a little change by 1/2 hour to get it all covered, but thats not the way we do things around here for some reason. Instead we'll have Piney and Art and JS all sitting on the plane fuming to get off and who will make a smart comment :p ;) to the agent meeting the flight (finally) who just happens to not start until 10pm about interrupting their tv time or something. Just remember sometimes things at US arent always what they appear to be. :ph34r:
[post="240031"][/post]​

Taj,

You need to notify CCY...bypass the station managers. I have a feeling they get bonuses for keeping their department costs down. That kind of bonus does not make in a 10K report, nor BK court.

The CSSs are all scheduled off at 930pm as well. No supervisor at night past that time.
If no one wants to stay or come in early, they will mandatory someone, if there is someone there to mandatory even though the contract states they arent supposed to use mandatory for this purpose (schedule problems).
If no one wants to stay or come in early, the plane will sit until someone clocks in at 10pm.
The manager doesnt seem too concerned about it since there arent any flights scheduled in at that time. What is it with US and "we live in a perfect world with no irregularities so we cant schedule for them?" We run a freaking airline people with many issues that affect the operation and being on time or late. I love the way too that the "company" cant schedule for a problem, yet he expects us to schedule ourselves to stay late or come in early on a regular basis if there is an irregularity, just in case. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens and be sure to have the phone number and contact for those first crews that have to wait 15-20 minutes to call and "chat" with the manager since he doesnt even listen to his own people telling them theres a problem. I'd love to hear that conversation.
Crew- Why didnt you meet our plane, too busy watching tv?
Agent- Sorry sir my boss said you wouldnt come in until I start at 10pm.
Crew- We've been flying all day and want to go to the hotel and you make us wait for 20 minutes to park us?
Agent- Sorry sir, here's the managers cell phone number, give him a call and tell him how you feel since he said it wouldnt happen.

Maybe the Manager can come in to meet the flights!!!
Let 'Em sit a few nights, and things will get fixed ASAP...

Tad -- That sort of thing is the norm in PHL, and has been for a long time. You always hear crews complaining there is no jetway driver, or no one to park them. Perhaps 60% (not all, mind you) of the problem is scheduling. Every morning when I start at 715a, there is an airplane waiting on the line to be parked and met. The crew for that gate starts at 715a, and the flight is scheduled in at 720a. In a perfect world, its a match. However, at that hour, the flight is early every day, and then has to wait. It also is very common around 12n. Part timers have gone, full timers working midday flights and the gate crews start at 12n. The flight gets in early at 1145a and they wait, engines running, ... and wait, ... and fume.
The company manpower 'expert', before he moved to CCY, when he was working in PHL, took me in his office to explain when I questioned these exact circumstances. He showed me the SS116 on the wall and told me that the flight was scheduled in at 1205p, and a 12n start could meet it. He said we could get someone else to meet it if it came in early. I questioned who that someone else might be, as every available agent was working another flight. There was no answer, and the problem remains to this day.
So I guess you could say it is business as usual -- anticipating a perfect world and staffing for the paper schedule. After all, it works on paper.

Seatacus said:
That is because it has to do with customer service. If it was concerning kiosk numbers or fleet launch times? That's is when you get their attention. :(
[post="240270"][/post]​
Agreed. Nothing like a few launch delays to open mgmt. eyes. As an aside, this thread could have been written by one of us at NW. Frightenly (sp?) similar. :shock: :shock:

PITbull said:
Taj,

You need to notify CCY...bypass the station managers. I have a feeling they get bonuses for keeping their department costs down. That kind of bonus does not make in a 10K report, nor BK court.
[post="240049"][/post]​

Unless you bypass Crelin and Paladini you are wasting your time.

Finish or Ignore said:
Unless you bypass Crelin and Paladini you are wasting your time.
[post="240317"][/post]​

To the earlier poster, its TPA.

As far as I am concerned (and the agents I've spoken to as well) we are finished trying to get it corrected in advance since he knows what he's doing. I guess he'll figure it out eventually. Maybe someone lurking here in CCY can get it corrected before we get a newspaper reporter who I'm sure would love another US screwup/held captive story to report on. In the meantime, the sentiment of management is its ok so the agents arent going to worry about it any more either.

PHL Flash said:
The company manpower 'expert', before he moved to CCY, when he was working in PHL
[post="240203"][/post]​

"Boy Wonder" likes to cut things close.

In PHL if you are on the Red-eye from Las you will sit.
That flight comes in up to 45 mins early (4:40am) all the time.
No one even clocks in until 5:00...by the time the ramp even touches the flight it's 5:15.
It's been that way for years. CCY doesn't want to pay anyone to be there because if it comes in on time or late those people would be getting paid to do nothing.

Excuse me for saying so, but the idea of no one caring, i.e. not staying, is a joke! The employees of U have voted in three drastic cuts, just in the last couple of years. If anybody is willing to take a beating for the greater good, it's U employees. Not only will people be willing to stay, but you'll have them lined up to do so at no pay!

Face it... This is the battle that never was, U has the largest group of sheep ever collected! Mark my words!