Trip report - pretty amusing.

phlus2

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
Flew from PHL to BDL yesterday afternoon and it was pretty funny to watch the operations of this airline. Have not flown on US in many months - but it is about the only way to get from PHL to BDL without going to Chicago first. Anyway - this was Republic - not mainline - so that could be some of the problem.

At the gate at 3:00PM - two agents there madly working on their computer terminals. Who knows what they were doing - but they were certainly busy practicing their typing skills!

Two guys walk up and want to move from a later flight to this flight. Agent tells them that they first have to go all the way down to the end of terminal C to the Special Services desk and pay $25.00 - then come back. That sure is customer friendly! So off they go.

It is now 3:15 - boarding time - but nothing happens - no boarding - no announcements. Time keeps ticking - 3:20 - 3:25 - 3:30 - nothing happens. So a passenger asks the agent what is going on - whose response is that there is a flight attendant missing. Pretty funny - how do you lose a flight attendant? Did they just notice that someone was missing? Shouldn't they know where they are coming from - IE from a connecting flight?

Now - the pilot comes off the plane - tells the agent they are going to go to the crew room to see if they can round up a FA to work the flight. Is that in the Union Contract - Pilots are also crew scheduling? Pretty funny!

So a few mintues later the pilot comes down the hall with a flight attendant behind him.

In the meantime the two guys come back from Special Services - and tell the agent they need a boarding pass because Special Services doesn't do that - they only collect the $25.00 stand by fee. Go figure - sounds like a union at work to me! So the agents print them boarding passes.

We start to board the plane. I was at the top of the ramp - one agent starts making boarding announcements - other agent takes my boarding pass and I start down the ramp. The agent making announcements yells at me that "we arent' boarding yet" - where upon I respond that the other agent took my boarding pass and told me to board. So now the agents get into a tiff with each other!

Finally board and get off the gate. And - thanks to schedule padding still arrive at BDL on time.

And I guess from the stories on this board this was a positivie US experience! It was pretty funny to watch - I will say that!

In the meantime the two guys come back from Special Services - and tell the agent they need a boarding pass because Special Services doesn't do that - they only collect the $25.00 stand by fee. Go figure - sounds like a union at work to me! So the agents print them boarding passes.

It does SOUND like a union tactic, but I doubt that it is. (If the agents for Republic are even unionized I would be surprised.) As an airline "insider," this particular inconvenience probably stems from the fact that the Special Services counter is not given the tools it needs to do that particular job, i.e. print your boarding pass. This is how management treats its employees as well as its customers. No matter how well intentioned the employees are, without the tools to do the job the customer will always suffer.

Actually, looking back at pre-merger USAir - not all agents are signed into an "ATAC" -- or Agent Sales Report that tracks our financial transactions. In order to "sign in" to this area, we have to be at a location (computer) in which the ticket printer has actual ticket stock (and or boarding pass paper). So in CLT, many gate agents don't sign into their ATAC because it requires more paperwork when they close as well as keeping their audit coupons & money on them.

Now, Shares also doesn't allow someone to print a boarding pass for a flight that shows active at a gate, unlike Sabre. with Sabre we could easily print a pass, including boarding passes originating in other cities.

So whats happened with the special services/counter can be a little more complex than the gate agent just taking $25 from the pax and checking them in.

But, on the other hand, I've paid for an NRSA upgrade at the gate in PHX because the agent working the flight was also signed into a sales report and had ticket stock at his printer.

*shrugs*

this particular inconvenience probably stems from the fact that the Special Services counter is not given the tools it needs to do that particular job, i.e. print your boarding pass.

DING DING DING

We have a winner.

There are 2 different document stocks. The white boarding pass stock used to print a boarding pass and the blue ARC stock used for revenue documents such as tickets and receipts. The problem here is during the shares cutover it never occurred to the sandcastle to install dual printers at the gates so each printer is designated either a gate printer (boarding pass) or ticket printer (ARC stock). Obviously in PHL the way they setup the concourses was to have only ticket printers at Special services and only gate printers at the gates. DUMB!!!! When I setup up the station I suffer...err, worked in I setup Special Services with 2 printers, 1 gate and 1 ticket. I then programmed the gate sets to send receipts to the ticket printers at Special Services. At least my way a customer could pay the $25 fee by credit card at any gate and also could get a boarding pass at Special Services. Apparently whoever did PHL's setup just stumbled along following the script sent out without thinking it through.

BTW if there are any sup's reading that would like to change the way your station is setup anyone signed in using the SU sign can reprogram the printer assignments to setup the way I did.

It doesn't matter which stock you use to print a receipt/itinerary..since 99% of transactions are electronic anyway..IT DOES matter however if an actual hard copy ticket has to be issued. There's no big deal to opening an ACO and collecting funds at the gate...as long as it's with a credit card. Just DO IT and take care of the customer!

It doesn't matter which stock you use to print a receipt/itinerary..since 99% of transactions are electronic anyway..IT DOES matter however if an actual hard copy ticket has to be issued. There's no big deal to opening an ACO and collecting funds at the gate...as long as it's with a credit card. Just DO IT and take care of the customer!

DING DING DING we have another reason.

From personal experience there are agents that just don't want to take the time to "take care of the customer" and ship us off to the Special Services desk. This happens in PHL much too often. While the agents in the Clubs always take the credit card and reissue a ticket. So it makes you wonder why it can be done in the Club and "sometimes" at the gate and "sometimes" it can't.

Simple. They don't want to or they don't know how to.

DING DING DING we have another reason.

From personal experience there are agents that just don't want to take the time to "take care of the customer" and ship us off to the Special Services desk. This happens in PHL much too often. While the agents in the Clubs always take the credit card and reissue a ticket. So it makes you wonder why it can be done in the Club and "sometimes" at the gate and "sometimes" it can't.

Simple. They don't want to or they don't know how to.
If you've read this board you'd know that there are problems with managment getting agents the tools to do their jobs or in many cases training has been abysmal at best. So many new agents at very low wages that the type of indivual you would like to have is currently working elsewhere and the quality of new hires is poor. If you havent read this board than reread the last two sentences. Please dont "guess" that we (agents) dont WANT to take care of our customers, thats insulting. If you find someone who you feel does not want to take care of you than either speak with a supervisor-at that time-or get a name and badge number and location and send an email to customer relations.

If you've read this board you'd know that there are problems with managment getting agents the tools to do their jobs or in many cases training has been abysmal at best. So many new agents at very low wages that the type of indivual you would like to have is currently working elsewhere and the quality of new hires is poor. If you havent read this board than reread the last two sentences. Please dont "guess" that we (agents) dont WANT to take care of our customers, thats insulting. If you find someone who you feel does not want to take care of you than either speak with a supervisor-at that time-or get a name and badge number and location and send an email to customer relations.

Oh please what make believe land do you live in?

Get a badge number - you have got to be kidding - in PHL? You think any employee of this joke would give you their badge number in Philly - you are smoking sometihng.

And why email customer relations - they either are not going to respond - or will respond with some stupid form email message - afterall - it has all been outsourced to a bunch of housewives in the desert who have nothing better to do with their time and could care less if you are a satisfied customer or not - they get paid by the email message so that is all they care about.

You make it out like this is a real company that actually cares about the customer - wake up!

Per company rules, they just have to provide their names, not their employee numbers.

Sweety Dahling.........I used to live on US for 11 years and this message board (compare my member # to yours and when I joined). I know all too well about the abilities of the US front line personnel.

But you're not in PHL where most of my transactions used to take place when dealing with this issue being discussed. Hence why one of the benefits of having a Club membership is so you don't have to deal with an inexperienced gate agent or a gate agent that doesn't care.

So don't tell me I don't know when in fact I do know. I've been around a long time to witness the changes over the past 11 years that I spent living on US.

Oh please what make believe land do you live in?

Get a badge number - you have got to be kidding - in PHL? You think any employee of this joke would give you their badge number in Philly - you are smoking sometihng.

And why email customer relations - they either are not going to respond - or will respond with some stupid form email message - afterall - it has all been outsourced to a bunch of housewives in the desert who have nothing better to do with their time and could care less if you are a satisfied customer or not - they get paid by the email message so that is all they care about.

You make it out like this is a real company that actually cares about the customer - wake up!
If you really feel that way then dont trvl US or if you feel that way and still trvl, you know what you are getting so why the gripe? Housewives in the desert? I guesss you're SO sophisticated but you're still giving US money? Who's the smart one here?

If you find someone who you feel does not want to take care of you than either speak with a supervisor-at that time-or get a name and badge number and location and send an email to customer relations.

My experience in PHL is that the agents walk around, as most employees do, with their badge facing their clothing. I've asked agents for their badge number and have been flatly refused that information. "I do not, I repeat, I do not have to give that information....okaaaay". And then try getting a supervisor or manager...they make you wait so long and you have a flight to catch so you can't wait around forever and then when you do speak to someone, they say, oh, sorry. you think they are going to go over to the agent and say something...yeah, if they want to get jumped in the parking lot.