The Good, Bad and The Ugly

Don't shoot the messenger, but today in careerbuilder.com it names flight attendants as one of the best paying laborer jobs in America, earning an average of over 60K a year. I can't believe this is true. Is this story accurate. www.careerbuilder.com

Even when the times were good(pre BK) I was A scale, flying 105+ hours and never came close to that. That is when we still had all the rigs and stuff. When was that article published. I can't imagine any US carriers F/A's "averaging" over 60K a year. Does it state which airlines? Probably not.

Yes, glassware and snack basket are slow in coming, but it will come. It is hard to remain positive when you read these boards just filled with negative, NEGATIVE, nasty, people. Yes, the west did lose the name but the NEW USAirways is run by the west and will become more and more like the west. What US was, will not exist into the future. A lot of long time employees will not like it, but they will deal.

Well, I guess it should be no surprise. 3 responses and the only remotely good thing said was "fishing". Sad. This is the bad and ugly. Now for the good.

Don't shoot the messenger, but today in careerbuilder.com it names flight attendants as one of the best paying laborer jobs in America, earning an average of over 60K a year. I can't believe this is true. Is this story accurate. www.careerbuilder.com

The moron writer didn't do his homework. He must have assumed that f/a's get paid 40 hours a week.

$ 29.85 X 40 X 52 = $ 62,088

What an idiot!

Certainely there is some good in everything, even in this merger between East and West. You'd never know it if all you read was this board. Some have lost sight of the fact there is good in most everything if one looks in the right place.
There certainly is both GOOD and BAD news...here's my news...
BAD news...I am on my second furlough in 5 years from US Air. First furlough after 9/11...for 3 years
GOOD news...called back to MDA...worked for a year and a half...
BAD news...then furloughed this year after planes were sold to Republic.
GOOD news...I made $17,000 a year in 2005
BAD news...was based in a city not my home so spent hours commuting, and
GOOD news...I had an apt in base which cost $500 a month, sharing it with another flight attendant.
BAD news (so you can subtract $6,000 from my salary as the apt was solely to make my trips and be in base as I was a reserve) how does one live on that?..
GOOD GOOD, BEST news... during that time I thought EVERYTHING was good because I had my job back and was flying. I wanted to work. I tended to my duties professionally and safely and served with a smile.
BAD news ...I am furloughed the 2nd time
GOOD news... my furlough letter read that there would be recalls to mainline......possibly 600 to be recalled
More GOOD news in March, I could work in PHX for AWA
BAD news, I would only make $16,000 in PHX, I live in the East and can't afford a 2500 mile move
June arrives, BAD news...only 200 recalls, of which I missed by about 10 ...the numbers are what they are.
GOOD news... I will have summer off and family time.
July arrives, BAD news, no recalls for August.
GOOD news, recalls will happen in December
BAD news, possibly no recalls in December either
BAD news, there are now junior f/a's working and I am not
BAD news, did they forget me and others like me (hundreds of f/a's and pilots) furloughed, furloughed, furloughed
GOOD news, there still is an airline that I am furloughed from
BAD news, it's bad luck being a duck

There certainly is both GOOD and BAD news...here's my news...
BAD news...I am on my second furlough in 5 years from US Air. First furlough after 9/11...for 3 years
GOOD news...called back to MDA...worked for a year and a half...
BAD news...then furloughed this year after planes were sold to Republic.
GOOD news...I made $17,000 a year in 2005
BAD news...was based in a city not my home so spent hours commuting, and
GOOD news...I had an apt in base which cost $500 a month, sharing it with another flight attendant.
BAD news (so you can subtract $6,000 from my salary as the apt was solely to make my trips and be in base as I was a reserve) how does one live on that?..
GOOD GOOD, BEST news... during that time I thought EVERYTHING was good because I had my job back and was flying. I wanted to work. I tended to my duties professionally and safely and served with a smile.
BAD news ...I am furloughed the 2nd time
GOOD news... my furlough letter read that there would be recalls to mainline......possibly 600 to be recalled
More GOOD news in March, I could work in PHX for AWA
BAD news, I would only make $16,000 in PHX, I live in the East and can't afford a 2500 mile move
June arrives, BAD news...only 200 recalls, of which I missed by about 10 ...the numbers are what they are.
GOOD news... I will have summer off and family time.
July arrives, BAD news, no recalls for August.
GOOD news, recalls will happen in December
BAD news, possibly no recalls in December either
BAD news, there are now junior f/a's working and I am not
BAD news, did they forget me and others like me (hundreds of f/a's and pilots) furloughed, furloughed, furloughed
GOOD news, there still is an airline that I am furloughed from
BAD news, it's bad luck being a duck

The west is still hiring so is United, Alaska, Continential, Jetblue, Airtran and Southwest. So quit feeling sorry for yourself, get off your butt and get back in the sky with someone! The US you knew and loved does not exist anymore, just in name!

Well, I guess it should be no surprise. 3 responses and the only remotely good thing said was "fishing". Sad. This is the bad and ugly. Now for the good.

Do not even come close to making that kind of money here. Now we even clean airplanes for free. If flight attendants were paid for every hour on duty then you might see that kind of income. Only paid for flight time unfortuately.
Have to say if you want people to bring up good with this merger this is not a topic that you should mention. Sore subject with most groups.
Now for the good that may come hopefully it will be nice flattering uniforms. :up:

The US you knew and loved does not exist anymore, just in name!

Wrong JMM! US Airways is alive and well. I've seen it myself non-reving from PHX to SRQ. From a Westie perspective on the East's flight ops on these trips...impressive. DP was right when he told us US Airways is good people!

The US you knew and loved does not exist anymore, just in name!

Neither does America West. So why do you continue to post your inflammatory signstures? By doing that you come across as nothing but a flame baiter. If you can't sign anything positive about the new US Airways, please be respectful to ALL US Airways employees and write nothing at all for your signature. It IS offensive!!! :down:

Back