The List Gets Longer

There is no doubt that a modern turbine engine is indeed the most reliable engine ever built. I am not saying that they are not. All I am saying is that they do fail. Thank you for proving my point by the way.

Quite the contrary - or as someone else said, nice backpedling. What you said was that engine failures were "common". But, hey, nice try at taking contrary evidence and twisting it to support your "fantasy" view....

Robbed there is the answer to your question from a pilot himself. If you fly on his airline for one year there is a 1 in 200 chance you will be on a flight with an engine failure. Providing those are all twin-engine aircraft, start figuring the three and four engine aircraft and the odds will go up in favor of an engine failure. Now multiply that by the thousands of aircraft flying in the industry and you will see that it does indeed become a common problem for the industry.

I see math isn't one of your strong suits. For your passengers sake, I pray that's not reflective of your mechanic skills.....

Translating what I said into odds, if you flew on one of the airplanes every flight every day for a year there would be a one in 200 chance of experiencing an engine problem. That's 1/2 of 1% - not exactly common even under that scenerio.

That's what you tried to twist my statements into - a 1 in 200 chance per flight. So let's break it down to the odds per flight:

6-8 flights per day per airplane equals 1200-1600 flights per day, every day of the year (that's pretty close to what NWA operates).

That's 438,000 to 584,000 flights per year.

Taking the rough average of 500,000 flights per year, that's an engine problem on 0.0002% of the flights.

In other words, an average passenger flying 10 legs per week, every week of the year, would have to fly 1000 years before they experienced an engine failure. You can try to say they're "common", but it doesn't make it so - unless you're speaking from experience at a cut-rate outfit with incompetent maintenance.

You can try to twist it any way you want, but turbine engine problems should be extremely uncommon if a proper maintenance program is in place.

So how many engine problems have there been while the replacement workers have been at NWA? Zero, as the odds should predict? Or have you already used up your quota for the next few years.....

Jim

ps - after a little research, I thought I'd put the odds of an engine failure/shutdown in context to show how common they should be. With a proper maintenance program, the odds are the same as (U.S. data for 2003):

Accidentally suffocating in your sleep (including instances of SID syndrome, which are the vast majority).
Accidentally drowning in a swimming pool.
Accidentally freezing to death.

Could you imagine if an airline operating ETOPS had a 1 in 200 engine failure rate? They would no longer be ETOPS. I guess its a good thing NWA still has all those 747s.

I think I give turbine engines much more credit that you do. People die and engines fail, it is a fact of life therefore it is common.View attachment 3592
40,000+ die on our nations highways anually and you compare such to a/c engine failures? thousands die daily across this globe from disease, starvation, accidents, wars, disaster, natural causes and a/c engine failures are something that is just assumed to be as common? perhaps so on the ones you work :lol:

40,000+ die on our nations highways anually and you compare such to a/c engine failures? :lol:

Accidentally suffocating in your sleep (including instances of SID syndrome, which are the vast majority).
Accidentally drowning in a swimming pool.
Accidentally freezing to death.

View attachment 3592

Who said anything about "40,000+ die..."? I don't see that comparison made here anywhere. I think you guys like to call it "reading comprehension", you should try it some time local.