The Next Wave Of Airline Bankruptcies

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
The next wave of airline bankruptcies
advertisement
Competition with low-cost carriers is only going to get fiercer. US Airways and Delta look vulnerable, Continental is on the bubble and even Southwest may not be safe.

By Jim Jubak

Article (Opinion)

Jim

Where's the confusion? The title of the thread is the same as the title of the linked article.

Jim is most certainly not USA320Pilot. Aside from the different equipment, BoeingBoy is far more rational and knowledgeable about what goes on in the industry.

I think Southwest issue presented this article is a little off-base.

There is no consideration that JBLU's costs will rise. The aircraft will age and require more maintenance. The workforce will grow, and expect their earnings to grow as well. Lastly, a smaller aircraft will create increased RASM, unless you expect JBLU's payscale for the E190 to stick. Since JBLU expects to pay flight deck crew on the E190 less than other carriers pay for 70-seat jets, I don't expect it to last long term.

Bottom Line, JBLU's CASM will most likely rise to something similar to LUV (and other LCC's like America West, Frontier, and AirTran) over time. Meanwhile, I expect LUV, at least, to be able to continue to maintain their CASM, or at minimum, its increases in CASM to be less severe than JBLU's over time.

Assuming that the LCC's do beat out US Airways or UAL from the market (or both), it will be a L O N G time before those markets get absorbed by the LCCs and the rest of the industry... This suggests that LUV will be ok, because over this long period of time, JBLU's costs will increase.

Phoenix said:
I am confused by the title of the thread. Are you a double for USA320Pilot?
Phoenix:

As you well know, I have nothing but the greatest respect for you. BoeingBoy/Jim is the antithesis of whom you've compared identities. Jim is honest, has integrity, credibility and honor. Jim engages in debate, contributes opinions and has shown a great deal of sincerity when issues concerning his posts were brought into question. He's a great guy.

funguy,

You're probably right that WN's troubles aren't right around the corner. However, I think the current view could be looked at as a sneak preview of coming attractions. No matter what model you use, WN cannot expand at the current rate indefinitely.

The question isn't if, but when. When will WN run out of room? Will they have to fly transoceanic, and take on a second fleet? Can they expand into Canada and take on WestJet for those international flights? How long before WN and B6 and FL and F9 find themselves seriously bumping into each other (assuming F9 doesn't fail on its own before then)? Who will win those head to head battles?

These are serious questions that do need to be answered. And we may just find that the steady state of the industry is a constant replacement of old airlines with too-senior employees with new airlines without the ballast provided by seniority.

Assuming the legacies fail, the LCC's will not bump very much for a while...

Assuming the legacies survive, the LCC's will bump very soon (already are in a few cases).

But assuming that the industry stablizes over time (i.e. no excess labor willing to work cheap, no excess reasonable aircraft available cheap, etc), there is no reason to think that the LCC's don't form the same kind of symbiotic relationship that the Legacies have today... (i.e. all have similar issues, similar biz model, similar pricing, match pricing moves, etc, etc).

I think it will be different, because what sustained the legacies in that way was the pricing premium that they were able to extract via hubbing. My sense is that the LCCs will instead choose to segment the market horizontally, as most competitive markets have done.

Mr. Jubak’s article isn’t particularly insightful due to its lack of any meaningfully new information. It is also not accurate: there are significant differences in the airline industry in Europe and the US. First, the dramatic changes in European aviation right now are due to a complete free for all expansion by LCCs which no one could reasonably expect would be successful for all of the new entrants. Further, the legacies have a much lower percentage of revenue derived from domestic (intra Europe) flights due to their longer haul orientation than do the US legacies. The shakeout that is happening in Europe is affecting LCCs far more than the legacies (flag carriers).

Secondly, Europe, specifically the EU, has been a much stronger advocate of consolidation than has the US gov’t. Consequently, the European legacies (flag carriers) will likely consolidate in a much more orderly fashion than will happen in the US where legacies will likely have to liquidate because no US airline has enough money to buy another legacy carrier. The US government has so mismanaged its policy toward legacy airlines that all are dangerously close to failure making recovery a lengthy and difficult process. Thankfully, European regulators have been much more rational in their handling of the airline industry. Keep in mind also that the US legacy carriers still carry three-fourths of all US airline passengers, even after 25 years of deregulation. While the pace of change is increasing in the industry, there also are signs that at least several US legacies are finally figuring out how to compete with LCCs, including making money and slowing the LCCs share growth.

Mr. Jubak is a bit aggressive in saying that the entire US legacy industry except for Northwest (which isn’t even mentioned for good or bad) is in jeopardy. Much of the current bad press about Delta has been induced by the company; they decided they had dealt with the pilots long enough and have chosen to escalate the cost cutting to threats of bankruptcy in order to move the process along. Since Delta’s pilots have made dramatic changes in their dealings with their company in the past few weeks (thanks in no small part to the ATSB’s denial of UAL’s loan and the third round of cuts at US), I doubt very seriously that DAL will be forced into bankruptcy. Keep in mind also that Delta has long been better able to control costs than most of the other legacy carriers; Delta’s recent problem has been cost control – something which is atypical of that company and one which they seem to know how to address. Northwest is in a similar situation and will probably get what it needs although with a lot less fuss than Delta. His assessment of AA and CO is fairly accurate and both, like DL and NW, are likely to turn their businesses around and control their own destiny.

Given that this is the only downturn in the airline industry since deregulation that has not seen the liquidation of a major carrier, it is very likely that one or two airline failures will be what is needed to help return the other carriers to profitability. While no airline can sit around and wait for a failure in the industry to make things better, history shows that the failure of a major carrier has helped to improve the revenue environment at the remaining carriers. Each airline that will survive has to rework its own business model and reduce costs; failure of another carrier will help improve revenues.

The transformation of the US industry will likely be much more painful for the legacy carriers than it will be in Europe. It is doomsday thinking to think that all, or even a majority of the US legacies will fail although it is certain that at least one and probably two will not be here in 3 years.

WorldTraveler said:
there are significant differences in the airline industry in Europe and the US.
Well put. I've had the same thought for a while.

The US government has so mismanaged its policy toward legacy airlines that all are dangerously close to failure making recovery a lengthy and difficult process.
In what sense have they mismanaged policy? What would you have done differently, and why?

Mr. Jubak is a bit aggressive in saying that the entire US legacy industry except for Northwest (which isn’t even mentioned for good or bad) is in jeopardy.
Perhaps. But there is little doubt that the legacies have more to do in order to maintain long-term viability.

His assessment of AA and CO is fairly accurate
I wholeheartedly agree. I think that, in terms of overall assets, AA is best positioned for the future. In terms of being a well-run business, I think CO has the edge.

...this is the only downturn in the airline industry since deregulation that has not seen the liquidation of a major carrier...
Only in the strictest sense. TW really can be considered the first (perhaps only) casualty of this one. US and UA are still up for grabs.

history shows that the failure of a major carrier has helped to improve the revenue environment at the remaining carriers.
But that was mostly because the legacies were the only "real" choices before 1991. That situation is no longer the case, making for a potentially different outcome this time. I'm not saying that it will be different for sure, but it's clear the landscape is changing to a degree not seen since the late 80s.

It is doomsday thinking to think that all, or even a majority of the US legacies will fail although it is certain that at least one and probably two will not be here in 3 years.
No argument there.

mweiss said:
funguy,

You're probably right that WN's troubles aren't right around the corner. However, I think the current view could be looked at as a sneak preview of coming attractions. No matter what model you use, WN cannot expand at the current rate indefinitely.

The question isn't if, but when. When will WN run out of room? Will they have to fly transoceanic, and take on a second fleet? Can they expand into Canada and take on WestJet for those international flights? How long before WN and B6 and FL and F9 find themselves seriously bumping into each other (assuming F9 doesn't fail on its own before then)? Who will win those head to head battles?

These are serious questions that do need to be answered. And we may just find that the steady state of the industry is a constant replacement of old airlines with too-senior employees with new airlines without the ballast provided by seniority.
That's what I've been telling my DOT contacts for years.

so most of the lcc's are ordering many new aircraft and soon they too shall flood the market with seats and end up in the same boat as their european counterparts.
WN is feeling rising contract costs in all labor groups and someday soon will cross into legacy cost structure.
but they can’t lower the wages of experienced pilots and maintenance workers to match the entry-level salaries at low-cost carriers. They operate at a serious cost disadvantage to the low-cost carriers on benefits as well.
entry level salaries....is this our destiny??
will you work for entry level salaries ?

mweiss said:
Where's the confusion? The title of the thread is the same as the title of the linked article.

Jim is most certainly not USA320Pilot. Aside from the different equipment, BoeingBoy is far more rational and knowledgeable about what goes on in the industry.
Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. As I read the Titles of Threads it is easy to pickout the one that 320Pilot writes. He pick nothing but Doom and Gloom and spins every good article into bad.

My post was a joke, not on boeingboy who has a good enough reputation that he can stand a little kidding, it was on the fud monger who asked for my number in a PM and called a dominos number. Ha!

Boeing boy is cool!!

Question for WORLDTRAVLER...Who would those one or two airlines that you predict to fail be???

I WANT TO KNOW...

Michael,
Just a couple of mismanagement indicators by the US gov't from my perspective: 1) Failure to allow any legacy carrier mergers or acquisitions during the 90's exc. when one is on death's doorstep even though even the architects of deregulation predicted there need not be more than 3 or 4 network airlines serving the US. 2) Failure to change laws to allow airlines to cut costs and not just fares. 3) Block carrier cooperation until delays became so deplorable that people just quit flying. 4) Prop up the industry repeatedly in the past 3 years, preventing market forces from weeding out winners and losers and weakening the entire legacy sector. In summary, the US government has prevented economic forces from picking winners and losers but instead has done just about everything possible to handicap the industry in the expectation that eventually a few carriers would survive. Tell me one other industry that has remained unstable and unsustainable so long after it has been deregulated?

What I would do differently: Allow airlines to combine, focusing on individual areas that limit competitiveness rather than just blocking mergers outright; Removing airlines from the Railway Labor Act to a process that more closely resembles real arbitration instead of the gun-at-the-head negotiating that has been typical of the industry (and goes both ways); pulled the plug on gov't support after the first round of support 10 days after 9/11.

My posts on this board don't hide too much about who I think will survive and who will fail so I invite you to read them since making outright predictions gets so many people upset. I'll give you a hint: I firmly believe that the industry track record for becoming a successful airline through and after bankruptcy is very slim and is only getting worse during this era of the industry.