This Week In Review

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
This Week in Review

Last Thursday the US Airways ALPA MEC received a detailed business plan presentation followed by ALPA’s leaders having an informal dinner with US Airways’ chairman of the board David Bronner. Then on Friday Bronner addressed the MEC and other rank-and-file members that could have profound effect on the carrier. These events caused a dramatic shift in MEC sentiment, which resulted in the unions leaders unanimously passing a resolution directing the Negotiating Committee to begin participating in the creation of a plan to return US Airways to profitability. Interestingly, the Committee is authorized to obtain and utilize all resources that may be necessary to craft such a plan, including the employment of an operational expert or other outside professional(s) to assist the Committee, in addition to using the resources of the MEC’s investment banker, ALPA’s Economic and Financial Analysis Department, and other available in-house resources.

“It was refreshing to have a guy speak of the challenges we face but have a message of hope at the same time,†said MEC Chairman Captain Bill Pollock. “The hope is (to) transform US Airways into a carrier that can compete and profit.â€

Equally important is that Bronner said management’s actions during their tenure have created significant problems of credibility and trust with labor, and that they want to include employees in solving problems to make US Airways profitable.

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review ALPA Communications Committee Chairman Captain Jack Stephan said Bronner threw down the gauntlet to pilots to play a key role in transforming the airline. "He threw the challenge out to us, and we accepted it," Stephan said. "We responded to his leadership." Stephan said that while the union is prepared to begin negotiating more changes to its contract -- something it vowed two months ago it would not do as it called on CEO David Siegel to resign -- the union will be proactive instead of just "responding to management proposals."

"This is going to be a total makeover," Stephan said.

I believe it’s very significant to note that all 12 MEC members supported the resolution designed to create a total (pilot contract) makeover. In fact, so-called MEC hardliners including Doug Mowrey, John Brookman, and Fred Freshwater supported the resolution, which will have a profound effect on our company and careers.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot,

Thank you for the recap. This is an interesting turn of events, positive momentum is a good thing right about now.

I look forward to details, resulting in an informed employee group...only then can rational choices be made.

It's interesting that now they recognize the "credibility" and "trust" issues.

It will be more interesting to see how they respond to it. And most telling.

Is there a time frame? Last I recall there was mention of a 30 to 90 day window. That's not a lot of time for a major overhaul of the contract.

Dea

Dea Certe said:

Is there a time frame? Last I recall there was mention of a 30 to 90 day window. That's not a lot of time for a major overhaul of the contract.

Dea
Why not. They did it in 30 days for the Summer concession #1, and a record breaking 5 days for the winter. ALPA can do amazing things when they're bent over.

Dea Certe said:

Dea
Dea Certe,

I agree, action, not lip service is what is required. This managements groups legacy, to a degree, has already been cast...NOT labor friendly or respectful. Down the road they will be held accountable no doubt.

For now, there is other business to be dealt with....

UseYourHead,

I can hear those major shareholders now. Once management wrings enough concessions from labor to turn the airline around and they have their profits, they'll really give it to management.

Or will it be those who lent the $1 Billion once they get their money back with interest? I can't wait to see how upset they'll be with management for browbeating us poor workers.

Jim

Bring back our work from Alabama would be a start! Until then, there is not much trust here.

The ALPA agreement will come quickly and after the SJ Scope agreement is reached (very soon), the contract overhaul negotiation will immediately begin for both ALPA and AFA (due to the "me too" clause).

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Wait!! Let me get this straight. The Pilots will have a Key role in Transforming This Airline. Is this how it's going to work??? You mean to tell me, that the fate of U and all of our jobs is in the hands of ALPA (our pilots)?????

So all of these guys are going to come up with some Magical solution ASAP????

Now I am really starting to get SICK.

I think the Magical Solution is for ALL Mainline Pilots to drop their hourly rate to $56.00 an hour. That should help for starters.

Someone, please help me out here. From what I am trying to digest from the Articles posted, it appears to me, that Managements Big Plan Forward is to drop it in the Pilots Lap.This has got to be some sort of a JOKE. :shock: :shock:

USA320Pilot said:
The ALPA agreement will come quickly and after the SJ Scope agreement is reached (very soon), the contract overhaul negotiation will immediately begin for both ALPA and AFA (due to the "me too" clause).

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Thanks for your recent updates and comments.The fact that the pilot's MEC
did almost a 180 ,after meeting with Bronner ,is amazing and encouraging.

All of us that have our lives and fortunes tied to U have been waiting a long time for things to get better. I've learned not to get too optimistic about the
future at this company,but I get a strong feeling that things are going
to go in the right direction.

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
It will happen before March 1st. At that point, the game changes, and the "lame-duck" MEC knows it.

You don't think the Freshwater crew voted the charge the negotiating committee blindly, do you?

ALPA will quickly sell what is left of it's soul (including any future for the wholly owneds and placing everything up to the E-170 at Mesa).

Of course, if your seniority holds an airbus narrowbody or a boeing narrowbody, I'd be worried. All it takes is your current colleagues to allow the 190 varient from EMB onto the property, and you can kiss anything smaller than the 320 goodbye. And that will happen, if the type of folks who elected the current MEC think it'll help 'em keep the seat and get to retirement.

ktflyhome said:
Wait!! Let me get this straight. The Pilots will have a Key role in Transforming This Airline. Is this how it's going to work??? You mean to tell me, that the fate of U and all of our jobs is in the hands of ALPA (our pilots)?????

So all of these guys are going to come up with some Magical solution ASAP????

Now I am really starting to get SICK.

I think the Magical Solution is for ALL Mainline Pilots to drop their hourly rate to $56.00 an hour. That should help for starters.

Someone, please help me out here. From what I am trying to digest from the Articles posted, it appears to me, that Managements Big Plan Forward is to drop it in the Pilots Lap.This has got to be some sort of a JOKE. :shock: :shock:
Try reading it again!!!!!!!!!