ticket refunds

ro2124

Oct 6, 2021
I have a question regarding refunds. I don't know much about refund policy but from what I understand under European law you are entitled to a refund if flight is cancelled?

Well this happened last year, what happened was, my return flight was cancelled due to Covid-19 as the airports were closed.

I was flying with Iberia, Colombia-Berlin and they offered me a voucher, not a refund, but voucher had to be used before the end of the year.

However as the airports were still closed at end of year and no flights available, of course I couldn't use the voucher.

I told Iberia I couldn't use the voucher because the airports were still closed and there were no flights available, therefore I asked for a refund instead, but they refused.

So I ended up having to pay for another flight, which was very irritating and expensive.

So my question is can I demand a refund? In fact really shouldn't they have offered me a choice, refund or a voucher? That's what I'm not sure of.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You probably won't find your answer here.

In theory, you should be able to demand a refund back to the original form of payment, but that's all dependent upon where you bought your ticket.

You probably won't find your answer here.

In theory, you should be able to demand a refund back to the original form of payment, but that's all dependent upon where you bought your ticket.
OK thanks...well, ticket was bought in Germany online with credit card so assume European law will apply