Tilton On Ted

SVQLBA

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Given the recent knocking of Ted (and Song) in the press and the debate on these boards, these comments from Tilton yesterday in the SF Chronicle make for interesting reading.

United gains momentum

Interesting specific comments (as well as discussion of mailine SE Asia routes) are:

----
Ted "contributed positively to profitability in the month of March, ''

In particular, he said, "Ted is innovating and creating for the parent company to study. Ted has had a employer/management council from the very beginning.'' This fluidity, as well as the carrier's whimsical, informal style, is helping to lighten up UAL's rather reserved corporate culture, he said.

"Ted can do whatever Ted bloody well wants to do,'' Tilton said, ...

-----

There are the usual negative analyst comments pouring cold water, but me thinks there's good reason why AirTran and Frontier are fighting hard on the ATSB loan and claiming "Ted has no strategic value" or whatever the exact quote was.

Reading the tea leaves, it also seems significant (help -- I'm souding like a certain US Captain!) that Tilton is sticking his neck out with these comments at the same time as Grinstein has been notably lukewarm on Song. To me it seems to indicate that the differences between Ted and Song (link to parent brand, flights from hubs, smaller aircraft) are more significant and are having greater financial impact than the press and analysts realize. (Pilot cost differences are no doubt important too.)

As well as looking forward to reading everyone's comments, I'd certainly be interested in hearing of the experience anyone has had with the employer/management council.

SVQLBA said:
Given the recent knocking of Ted (and Song) in the press and the debate on these boards, these comments from Tilton yesterday in the SF Chronicle make for interesting reading.

United gains momentum

Interesting specific comments (as well as discussion of mailine SE Asia routes) are:

----
Ted "contributed positively to profitability in the month of March, ''

In particular, he said, "Ted is innovating and creating for the parent company to study. Ted has had a employer/management council from the very beginning.'' This fluidity, as well as the carrier's whimsical, informal style, is helping to lighten up UAL's rather reserved corporate culture, he said.

"Ted can do whatever Ted bloody well wants to do,'' Tilton said, ...

-----

There are the usual negative analyst comments pouring cold water, but me thinks there's good reason why AirTran and Frontier are fighting hard on the ATSB loan and claiming "Ted has no strategic value" or whatever the exact quote was.

Reading the tea leaves, it also seems significant (help -- I'm souding like a certain US Captain!) that Tilton is sticking his neck out with these comments at the same time as Grinstein has been notably lukewarm on Song. To me it seems to indicate that the differences between Ted and Song (link to parent brand, flights from hubs, smaller aircraft) are more significant and are having greater financial impact than the press and analysts realize. (Pilot cost differences are no doubt important too.)

As well as looking forward to reading everyone's comments, I'd certainly be interested in hearing of the experience anyone has had with the employer/management council.
Well, to be honest, Ted seems like a much more creative brand then song by Delta. To be basic, aesthetically Ted is a lot nicer then song. To me song is tacky and tries too hard to be something its not. The lime green swirl, the mismatched hot pink-blue-green-yellow seats ... it all seems too contrived and ingenuine. Their flight attendants make fun of jetBlue and AirTran on their PA's .. which to me is so unnecessary. Ted seems like itd be successful because of the environment its creating .. laidback, easy, fun, and not in your face. The people at Delta could learn a lesson from that.

Latest posts