Today's News - There Is Even More

As an industry observer, let me add some comments that may bring some perspective to the panic that has permeated these boards for the past few days. The company and the unions each have an obligation to keep US Airways a going concern. The company is not asking for additional wage cuts or job downgrades. What they are asking for is to be able to utilize assets in a more economical and efficient manner. This includes an increase in aircraft utilization, cross functionality for ramp and non-FAA licensed maintenance personnel, scheduling changes for pilots and F/A's, and greater accountability for all employees. In order to lower CASM to a level that can be sustainable against WN and B6, the unions need to come to the table and agree to change work rules that have been around for many years and are inefficient. Efficiency does not necessarily mean that furloughs will occur. It does mean that employees will have to do more with the same amount of staffing that is currently available. In other words, employees will be expected to do more work during a typical shift. If the employees of US Airways truly want to see the airline successfully compete with WN and B6 for a sustained period of time, I believe it would be prudent to encourage your union board members to work out a deal with management. If this does not occur, the company will not survive and the mortgage and car payments will be difficult to make on unemployment. Just my observation as an industry observer.

SpinDoc said:
Efficiency does not necessarily mean that furloughs will occur.
You know, if Dave, Jerry, et all were willing to contractually commit to such a position, it would not suprise me to see the various union leaderships on the property talk turkey.

Unfortunately, since Dave and Dave have shown no ability to grow revenue and have only actually driven any costs out by either the Chapter 11 hammer or shrinking the airline, I'm sure they won't do this.

Further, as an outside observer, I can say that if I were the union leadership or a rank and file member, I would do nothing until a plan has been presented. With all the FUD coming from CCY, it's important to note that while Dave and company have been busy issuing press releases blasting union leadership and threatening to sell off chunks of the company that they have never once (at least publically or to the majority of the rank and file) actually produced a plan. Spent a lot of time pointing the finger, but have yet to actually produce anything.

The latter point pretty much sums up the actual operational and strategic management acumen of the current crop of executives at CCY.

SpinDoc said:
As an industry observer, let me add some comments that may bring some perspective to the panic that has permeated these boards for the past few days. The company and the unions each have an obligation to keep US Airways a going concern. The company is not asking for additional wage cuts or job downgrades. What they are asking for is to be able to utilize assets in a more economical and efficient manner. This includes an increase in aircraft utilization, cross functionality for ramp and non-FAA licensed maintenance personnel, scheduling changes for pilots and F/A's, and greater accountability for all employees. In order to lower CASM to a level that can be sustainable against WN and B6, the unions need to come to the table and agree to change work rules that have been around for many years and are inefficient. Efficiency does not necessarily mean that furloughs will occur. It does mean that employees will have to do more with the same amount of staffing that is currently available. In other words, employees will be expected to do more work during a typical shift. If the employees of US Airways truly want to see the airline successfully compete with WN and B6 for a sustained period of time, I believe it would be prudent to encourage your union board members to work out a deal with management. If this does not occur, the company will not survive and the mortgage and car payments will be difficult to make on unemployment. Just my observation as an industry observer.
"As an industry observer, let me add some comments that may bring some perspective to the panic that has permeated these boards for the past few days."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As an employee as well as an industry observer let me make some observations based on past history of dealing with this management team. The big observation is this management team has a golden record of breaking contracts signed that were put in place to make us competitive and to handle the LCCs, after all when we signed those contracts LCCs were in existence, they were not invented after we signed concessionary contracts. Also, we already signed our blood away on the dotted line TWICE and this will make THREE times. Since we know their history of less than genuine and sincere why would number THREE be the stopping point?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In order to lower CASM to a level that can be sustainable against WN and B6, the unions need to come to the table and agree to change work rules that have been around for many years and are inefficient. Efficiency does not necessarily mean that furloughs will occur.â€￾

I do not for one minute believe this, again their past history of downsizing and throwing people in the streets like it's sport tells me so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In other words, employees will be expected to do more work during a typical shift. If the employees of US Airways truly want to see the airline successfully compete with WN and B6 for a sustained period of time, I believe it would be prudent to encourage your union board members to work out a deal with management. If this does not occur, the company will not survive and the mortgage and car payments will be difficult to make on unemployment. Just my observation as an industry observer."

So do you believe we were not working during our shift up until the LCC concerns made an appearance? The union board members are doing exactly what the membership wishes of them. The mortgage and car payments are not enough reason for the likes of this so called management team for labor to give in to people of no honor, wisdom or integrity. Doing so puts off the inevitable because we all know they can't run an airline.

Instead of your ideas, I say we get a interim leader in here that people will once again trust and go from there. Then and only then will this airline stand a chance of survival.

SpinDoc said:
It does mean that employees will have to do more with the same amount of staffing that is currently available. In other words, employees will be expected to do more work during a typical shift.
I know some US Airways employees. They have told me that especially due to staffing there is currently no time to accomplish what has been asked during shift.

They would be pretty miffed and insulted that you suggest they don’t work at least as hard as their useless board.

Dude wake up it’s physics; someone who has no time during there 8 hour shift simply can not do 16 hours work!! Duh.

Attachments

• loser.jpeg
    loser.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 119
SpinDoc said:
It does mean that employees will have to do more with the same amount of staffing that is currently available. In other words, employees will be expected to do more work during a typical shift.
you have made several keen observations....my only problem with them is they seem to work on paper but not necessarily in fact.
in order for me to my job...the line planners must have the parts removed from the aircraft in an efficient and timely manner.now the mechanics must also come into play,however if lester here had a hot date sat...it may hold things up.....then planning or the mechanics must see that the parts are routed to my respective area...now the stores dept.comes into play....you say sally had a boy sunday...oh my goodness......finally the part has made its way to my repair area....now it must be cleaned...say did ya see the panthers?? and planning.....did you see the news about bronner and what he said...... routes it through inspection....inspection now does their....whats all this i see in the paper?......job and now planning schedules it to my area.....i finally get the part and....whats up with the foreman,he;s a real jerk...whys he act like that????...now i start my repair....oh my goodness fred forgot to order screws the last time we did this...now stores comes into play....and im sure someone over there had some unique experience yeaterday to tell about or maybe its so cold that they don't want to venture out in a timely manner....
everyone performing their respective jobs in a timely and efficient manner so we all can do more in the time alloted is nice but in reality it is a long shot in any industry.unless you want to run an operation by FUD.all the people for the most part i am exposed to are fine persons....but human nature is the one limiting factor.every instance here one person stopping to bs for one minute throws everything totally out of kilter.....how do you fix that 100%? ;)

MMW
The 9+ hour one day is PHL-STT-CLT-deadhead PHL. 7+51 flight time working and 1+41/h. The 18+17 two day is PHL-SJO-CLT overnight for 16+ hours then CLT-SJO-PHL. All flight time, 4 legs and a long overnight. Can't ask for anything more! I got the last position on the block, so we know this is going very senior, even though it is not commutable.