Trip Report AA 1529 15 Jul JFK-SDQ

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
In light of the story of the accelerated retirement of the A300, coincidental to my experience yesterday, I would like to relate my experience to you and offer my thanks to AA for thinking on their feet and being proactive.

Being alone since Thursday, with the girls on a cruise, I overslept a few minutes yesterday and had to hustle to get to JFK for my 10:55 flight to SDQ. I wound up arriving at the airport around 9:40, which wasn't bad considering there was heavy traffic most of the way. I was driving the wife's Hybrid, which gets best mileage in traffic.

I checked in and proceeded through security (again thank goodness for the F/C/Plat lane at JFK). This time I did get to vist the AC, and eventually proceeded to the gate, and once on board, was greeted by one of the most cheerful crews in recent memory. Settled in to seat 2J, and all seemed well.

Departure time came and went...about 10 min past sched departure, the captain came on and announed that on walkaround the FO had found a leak in one of the wheel wells, and the mechanics would have to check it out. A good amount of time passed, and no more information, although at one point I did hear "cancel" on the walkie talkie of one of the ground personnel on the flight. So now I decide to check with aa.com, and sure enough it showed "cancelled".

I quietly got up as if to go to the lav, and showed the purser my screen. He took my phone to show the captain, who had just heard, and noted that the FO had left to try to get home since the trip was supposedly cancelled. They thanked me profusely for not raising the issue in front of other passengers, and I spent a good deal of time talking to the crew in the forward galley, and to the captain as well.

Finally, a decision was made to "uncancel" the flight by pulling another aircraft from the hangar into service. By this time, I had already received a phone call from AA Platinum telling me I was rebooked the following morning (P R O A C T I V E). However, it turns out the trip was now back on the schedule, however with a long delay.

The replacement aircraft was rolled up to an adjacent gate. The purser was assigning tasks to the remaining FA's, assigning 2 or 3 to go to the new aircraft and get it ready, and maintaining crew presence on both craft. It was also determined that we would transfer via the connected jetway tunnel between gates 8 and 10, so we would not have to exit into the terminal and back through. This procedure was very well thought out, and got off to a good start.

Once the FO was located and returned to the gate, things jumped to high gear. The passengers were all lined up on the right side of the tunnel so crew and essential ground personnel could move back and forth as needed. One of the FA's I had been chatting with pulled me out of the line and told me to wait while she went back and got two other business class passengers, then walked us right on to the new aircraft (nice touch). Boarding continued, and we all settled in while the bags and catering were transferred from one aircraft to the other. During this time they ran the video entertainment, and although some people got a little agitated, it was handled very well and efficiently by the crew.

This was a clear example of thinking on their feet, and adapting to a situation. The captain, purser, and ground crew, figured out what needed to be done and did it. It was excellent teamwork, and although the cancellation and subsequent reinstatement caused some confusion, they had good cause to make those calls at the time.

Once airborne, a very pleasant flight, with a nice pasta lunch, followed by a little sleep. I arrived at SDQ at 6:10PM, rather than 2:50, which was ok since my client was arriving at 6:15 from MIA (wound up being 6:50 but again it worked out).

One can only imagine how another carrier (you know who) would have handled a similar situation--I can only guess there would be many more ticked off customers than there were on this flight.

Kudos to all involved at AA--they took a potentially bad situation and made the best of it, and got us where we needed to be...albeit it late, we got here.

ART(in ISP),,

Thanx for your Business !

We AAers/USAviation folks, know Well, that a lot of your business flying is not conducive to AA's non-stop service(s) from JFK or LGA, and we Certainly understand that you are (conveniently) better off flying to Chicago(MDW) on WN.

Our "Glass is half FULL", knowing that you will fly AA when you Logically can.

Thanx again !

ART(in ISP),,

Thanx for your Business !

We AAers/USAviation folks, know Well, that a lot of your business flying is not conducive to AA's non-stop service(s) from JFK or LGA, and we Certainly understand that you are (conveniently) better off flying to Chicago(MDW) on WN.

Our "Glass is half FULL", knowing that you will fly AA when you Logically can.

Thanx again !

How nice of you to take the time to post such positive comments. Thank you.

First of all thank you for your kind responses.

NHBB, my preferred carriers are only AA and CO, and I hold Platinum on each carrier (Platinum is top tier at CO).

I have only flown WN once, and they are not a preferred carrier for me.

When one flies as often as I do, problems are bound to occur. It's how they are handled and resolved that counts most. In this case, someone took the bull by the horns and probably saved the company alot of money in the process.

On top of everything else I made new friends yesterday--the FA's and the captain, and I am sure I will run into each of them again--with pleasure.

I don't only post bad things, like some on the US boards believe... I post fair and what I believe to be objective information, and state my opinions....in this case the compliments were well deserved, and will be made known to AA corporate.

I noticed that 1529 is late again today--by 3 hours. Does anyone know if this is a similar mechanical?

If so perhaps the accelerated retirement of the A300 is not a bad thing......

Thanks again to all involved in my flight the other day.

And on another topic, I note that more Caribbean flights move from the A300 to the 763 soon. Where are these 763's coming from? Seasonal European routes??

Thanks.