Trip Report PHL-FCO

Soooo let me ask him--how much is good customer service and great customer reports to their friends worth to you. That's something US no longer understands. First of all you'll tell your friends what a great flight you had with outstanding service-
A lot. I agree 100% but management is all about service fees
If the customer paid the upgrade fee($300.00) and enjoy the service and thinks it is was worth it everybody did there job. And Tempe loves it; it’s black or white to them on service fees.I guess it is hard for F/A’s to understand what the front line agent’s deal with on service fees($300.00) and managements hard stances. It is a real tightrope. Aren’t these seats soon to be removed? Leftover form US first-class heyday

The plane home was #271, and my row 1 seat was a piece of crap. The motors stopped halfway to do anything, and the leg section had little to no hydrolic fluid remaining, so only a 1/4 leg lift off the floor even at full recline. Also, the head rest was not attached to the seat, so, i could not use the side comfort features while trying to read up right, and when fully reclined, it fell off.
I had #274 from PHL to FRA last july and #271 on the was back. I was just fumbling thru my photos from that trip.

Was the passenger a very frequent flyer,was the passenger paying a full y fare?If there is room up front,why not showcase first class service for regular customers.This could translate in the best advertising possible,a satisfied customer telling others about his positive experience. :)
Sorry but, "You Get What You PAY For". For all those employees having a 'warm and fuzzy moment' in offering Premium Upgrades WITHOUT Monetary Collection.........when was the LAST Time You sat Up Front for FREE? Thank You, I thought so. For those of You that enjoy giving everything away......start YOUR Own Business, let Me know what and where it is and I'll send DROVES of People over to 'milk you dry'. Two Bankruptcies later, paycuts, benefit reductions and a whole different Travelling Public and some of You STILL Don't Get IT!

Sorry but, "You Get What You PAY For". For all those employees having a 'warm and fuzzy moment' in offering Premium Upgrades WITHOUT Monetary Collection.........when was the LAST Time You sat Up Front for FREE? Thank You, I thought so. For those of You that enjoy giving everything away......start YOUR Own Business, let Me know what and where it is and I'll send DROVES of People over to 'milk you dry'. Two Bankruptcies later, paycuts, benefit reductions and a whole different Travelling Public and some of You STILL Don't Get IT!

I must say that I am in total agreement with the gist of this post. I don't know what this FF's definition of having "freely" upgraded is but I do know this: When frontline employees who, out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever take it upon themselves to bend company policy, are making it more difficult for their colleagues who adhere to company policy. Inconsistency can be as much of a disservice to the customer as rudeness for example. Nonetheless, I'm glad that this FF had a good experience on his leg out of Philadelphia.

Reactions: 1 person
First of all, they dont sell row 1 seperately in the computer, so if Envoy was booked full someone was to be moved into row 1 if they didnt sell it. Congrats on being the lucky one if you didnt purchase it! :up:
I understand John Johns response (although it shouldnt be directed at the customer since he didnt do anything but fly on us), but at management that only $eem$ to understand one thing. I agree we need to make money, but its come down to crack the whip on the agents and customers be damned and its going to show if they continue pushing things like they are (at least in some cities). I'm not saying its right, just can tell from working with everyone, its gonna happen.
I'm glad the Envoy service was good. Had a couple friends fly LH over and US back and they said the US service was better (also had a mean LH FA they said so I'm sure that didnt help.)
I have a friend that raves about the row 1 seats, but I tried them and didnt like it as much as the regular Envoy seats. Like you said, it was hard and the seat hit me in a spot that hurt when I tried to lie down. To each his own I guess.
Glad to hear you had a (mostly) enjoyable experience. I agree that the crew can make a big difference and make up for a lot of little things that are out of place. Also, the PHL Envoy people are some of the best. Had a friend used to work there and everyone I've met in PHL Clubs (all of them) seems genuinely friendly and personable. Glad you enjoyed the Club there.
Thanks for flying with US!

I must say that I am in total agreement with the gist of this post. I don't know what this FF's definition of having "freely" upgraded is but I do know this: When frontline employees who, out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever take it upon themselves to bend company policy, are making it more difficult for their colleagues who adhere to company policy. Inconsistency can be as much of a disservice to the customer as rudeness for example. Nonetheless, I'm glad that this FF had a good experience on his leg out of Philadelphia.
Glad You saw My point of view.........I am sure some will think what a tightwad. Have seen more than my share of crazy antics over the years and am FLAT Out tired of the people who refuse to follow company policy for personal gain or 'favoured status' with a customer. Recently had an issue with someone so disgruntled with the company that they personally gave away the house at every opportunity that arose.......when i called her out, she got defensive, tried to justify her actions and resorted to name calling. Funny thing is, when the first customer lashed out at her and told Her to "Do Your job" and referred to her as a female dog (actually that was a compliment) she had a public meltdown that was capable of winning an Emmy. If people did their jobs.......and didn't REDEFINE them, things would go a lot easier. I could give you countless examples and rarely get involved but THESE People are the Ones that Make ALL of Our Jobs more difficult and they only do it to Make THEMSELVES Look Great and Accomodating but the rest of us as Jaded and lacking in Customer Service. ***As a footnote, "no fan of Management..........it's just Business 101."

There was a time when Row 1 was "reserved" for CP's and full fare Envoy passengers. I personally do not think it's "good business" to charge your best customers, and those who are already paying thousands of dollars, to sit in a more desirable (to some) seat. I can understand the up-charge for mileage upgraders and award ticket pax, but I shake my head at why US continues to beat their best customers with a stick.

I personally would not pay an extra $300 for a lie-flat seat, but if I were a CP or full fare Envoy passenger, I would hope that US would move me into an open seat in Row 1 if I asked nicely, without trying to charge me $300 for it. If that seat is still open at boarding time, and coach is oversold, guess who will be flying across the pond in Row 1 if the rules are followed to the letter??? If you guessed "the person who fell into Silver status by buying one non-refundable transatlantic ticket for $400," give yourself two points.

Those of you who think charging every person the $300 per seat, and nickle and diming the passenger doesnt have clue about "Business 101". Businesses grow by word of mouth, after great experiences, personal interactions, and convienence. It is the good and pleasant experiences that lead people to tell and encourage their friends to experience a certain business/product. As someone who has flown US almost 90% of the time for the past 30 yrs, and someone who was Gold for 2+yrs, and then Silver for another 3+ until the job changed, and someone who personally paid thousands of dollars for these business seats already, asking for and receiving a free upgrade to row 1 IS the way to run a business. The experience of the complimentary upgrade made me feel GOOD as a customer, and appreciated for my business. THAT is how business works. You angry people need to realize that YOU are the ones who drive away the customers with your defeatest attitudes, and self pitty actions and responses. Management is management, but it is the front line employees who create the experience for the customer. Sure, I do feel sorry for you that your careers did not turn out the way you wanted, but like everyone, you have choices in life. Dont like it, leave.

On the way home, I know that not one row 1 seat was paid for, because I checked in early, and looked at the screen. Row's 2-5 were full, and we were the first to be assigned row #1. Yet, when the plane was boarded, and 100% full, the other 4 row 1 seats were full, and so were my original seats in business. So yes, that meant 6 other normal paying passengers were given complimentary upgrades, which IS the reward/benefit of or being a FF. However, if I had been denied my complimentary request for an upgrade, and then noticed that passengers who paid thousands less for their ticket than me were given "better" seats, I would have been an upset customer. That is how business works, you reward and keep happy your best and highest grossing patrons.

I have been so turned off by the surly attitude of many US employees (maybe/probably you at some point), the crappy interior of the planes, the removal of movies, and other "fees" that I was prepared to have this be my last US flight. (My father in law drives an extra hour to EWR just to fly CO, and avoid US because of his past experiences, and always encourages me to join him. He is a 1st class full fare paying passenger, with 4-6 European trips per year. I mentioned our experience to him and he was interested in perhaps trying US again, ie. word of mouth benefit for business) I was prepared to inconvienence myself with extra time in changing planes (SW) and higher fares (AA) due to the pleasant experience I always have encountered when flying them in the past. However, due to the great personal experience i recently had, I have decided to stick with US again, and just booked 2 seperate 2 ticket transcon trips for later this year. That John John/AstroLounge is how this company will continue to make money. Squeezing good customers for an extra $300 is how you will ultimately loose all of your high paying customers. Sure, there are always disgruntled employees like the one you referenced in the post about giving away everything, and of course yourselves, but dont even begin to chastize other frontline employees who try to keep customers happy, and do the right thing. I am not saying EVERYONE should be upgraded for free, but if row 1 seats are open, and a liesure traveler who paid with his own money, not a corporate type, asks for an upgrade, the right thing to do, again, if it is available, is to give it to them. You only provide a great experience and nice incentive for that passenage to pay full fare again.

Lastly, what if I had paid the $300 each way for those seats. As I mentioned, my seats both ways did not function properly, specially on #271. Would I have gotten my money back, or would it have been business 101 to keep the money and say sorry. Hummm

Reactions: 2 people
Perhaps the last reply WOULD be better directed toward Tempe and local/regional managers. Agents on the front line ARE BEING DISCIPLINED for "giving things away" and are questioned on many other things that we used to do to help customers. Many agents will go out of their way to assist customers, however, it only takes 1 person in station to be called in on something to end it for everyone. Management has the termination bug and they are willing to go after the agents for anything and everything so dont be surprised if you get someone who says no to anything out of the ordinary. Not only are they (possibly) breaking the rules, they ARE subject to punishment up to and including termination and it is happening.
Tempe and management sets the tone for Business 101 with our policies and procedures and there are many agents scared of being disciplined for not strictly following the company line.

I see all sides presented here though I agree with REALISTIC and am curious if Tempe would comp something for the broken seats. REAL, did you tell the flight attendants about the broken seats? Half the time we are unaware of malfunctioning seats, reading lights, tray tables, etc. We have a cabin log where, with Capt's permission, we can write up the defect so maintenance will fix it. This is something I like that the new US has brought to us. Granted sometimes things are MEL'ed for a while, but ultimately we want to get our equipment working correctly so your experience will be a pleasant one.

That said, I understand and feel sorry for the agents who are reprimanded for doing good things for our FF's. I also see how it must be hard being the agent who says "No" to a customer after that customer had Ms. Agent Giveaway work the last flight. I'm not in management so I will defer - what I can personally say is I know a certain flygirl who, when time permits, will take the manifest and go through the coach cabin to locate the listed FF's as well as employees. She then acknowledges them as "Mr. or Ms. So and So, I'm flygirl. I see you are a FF and I just wanted to see if there was anything I could for you back here." - Nine times out of ten the FF says a polite "No, thank you" - but they are most appreciative that someone checked on them beyond the one-pass of the racing beverage cart in coach. In her opinion if you are a CP, Platinum, EE, etc, you certainly can have a beverage of your choice, but that's just her trying to give a little something to the customer who has kept giving US business despite EVERYTHING US has cut back on. Policy? Nope. Punishable? Probably. But in reality, it's a good thing to not only take care of our external customers, but also our internal ones (read: employees) as well.

How many times have you, as a human traveler person human human human, (did I mention human?) had a better experience because someone offered you a little something more? Be it a bottle of water, a gate valet, a polite smile, the whole can of soda... Idk, it's the little things. We have to find a balance here. I get it, some hands are tied. Some hands wriggle the ties. Black, white, gray area... Whatever we do as employees, we should at least try to do it with a friendly attitude. Too many of us take out our POedness on the ones who are responsible for our paychecks... our customers.

but dont even begin to chastize other frontline employees who try to keep customers happy, and do the right thing.
Who is directing the front line agents to collect fees or face discipline? Don’t even begin to chastise other frontline employees who try to do what management insists on and demands
Doing the right thing????Is keeping the customers happy I get that

Perhaps the last reply WOULD be better directed toward Tempe and local/regional managers. Agents on the front line ARE BEING DISCIPLINED for "giving things away" and are questioned on many other things that we used to do to help customers. Many agents will go out of their way to assist customers, however, it only takes 1 person in station to be called in on something to end it for everyone. Management has the termination bug and they are willing to go after the agents for anything and everything so dont be surprised if you get someone who says no to anything out of the ordinary. Not only are they (possibly) breaking the rules, they ARE subject to punishment up to and including termination and it is happening.
Tempe and management sets the tone for Business 101 with our policies and procedures and there are many agents scared of being disciplined for not strictly following the company line.

tadjr thanks for your insight and input of a front line PASSENGER/COUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT
That was my point. You said it more elegantly

My problem/Issue to Mr. Realistic is......give the upgrade to You once and then You expect it EVERY Time. The old "You owe Me syndrome" or They did it for Me last time". First chance You DO NOT get 'your way'.....You have Your Meltdown, threaten to call Joe Blow, contact the media, write the papers etc. I've seen and heard it all. I DO NOT FALL for a-n-y of those idle threats. My family has a business.........I've learned quite a bit over the years. I KNOW firsthand how ugly things can get when people don't get their way. We see it EVERY flight when Mr. Important (which he isn't) has to check a bag on a FULL flight when there isn't space available. Throw alcohol and possibly drugs into the mix and you see why it SHOULD BE A BLACK and WHITE issue. They call it Company Policy. As a consumer You may not like a Company's Policy but You either accept it or you take your business elsewhere. Heck I may not like the shirt you wear or the fact that you are 20 pounds over weight but I certainly don't let it deter me from doing MY JOB. I have a JOB to do........and one of them ISN'T allowing You to tell me HOW TO DO IT. It's commentary like Yours that proves My position is Valid.

(I have a JOB to do........and one of them ISN'T allowing You to tell me HOW TO DO IT. It's commentary like Yours that proves My position is Valid.)

I don't really understand what valid position you are trying to prove. I did not tell anyone how to do their job, I simply gave my thoughts on how I believe businesses should take care of good clients.

I do agree with you how certain people are ignorant to the fact that overheads can get full, and that it isnt the FA's fault when ground traffic makes them miss connections, and 1st class is already occupied, etc.. I have seen that baby BS many times myself while in the terminal or on the plane, and I have interjected my own comments to these people about how rediculous they are being and to leave the ticket agent alone, etc. But I am not one of those people who #### and complain when told no. However, when being told no, it is nicer to be told no with some kind of explanation, or a non- EDITED BY MODERATOR demeanor, and I am sorry but.....

MOD NOTE: Profanity even if disguised by symbols is prohibited by the rules of the board.

My problem/Issue to Mr. Realistic is......give the upgrade to You once and then You expect it EVERY Time. The old "You owe Me syndrome" or They did it for Me last time". First chance You DO NOT get 'your way'.....You have Your Meltdown, threaten to call Joe Blow, contact the media, write the papers etc. I've seen and heard it all. I DO NOT FALL for a-n-y of those idle threats. My family has a business.........I've learned quite a bit over the years. I KNOW firsthand how ugly things can get when people don't get their way. We see it EVERY flight when Mr. Important (which he isn't) has to check a bag on a FULL flight when there isn't space available. Throw alcohol and possibly drugs into the mix and you see why it SHOULD BE A BLACK and WHITE issue. They call it Company Policy. As a consumer You may not like a Company's Policy but You either accept it or you take your business elsewhere. Heck I may not like the shirt you wear or the fact that you are 20 pounds over weight but I certainly don't let it deter me from doing MY JOB. I have a JOB to do........and one of them ISN'T allowing You to tell me HOW TO DO IT. It's commentary like Yours that proves My position is Valid.

I understand the upgrade fee is $300.

What is more desirable, however... $300 upgrade fees collected every now and then... or a Full Y Class revenue ticket bought every week for years?

I'd rather worry about filling the seats with paying passengers than worrying about where my best customers end up sometimes as a "wink wink -thank you for your business".

Plenty of successful businesses know when to "take care" of a passenger that takes care of the business. It's called good business.

It's very important, now and again, to step away from the policy and thing about the larger picture from a customer and service perspective. Keep those people coming back. NO, don't give them an upgrade EVERY TIME but DO give em a little thanks every now and then.

Call it interest.