Trip Report PHL-FCO

Perhaps the last reply WOULD be better directed toward Tempe and local/regional managers. Agents on the front line ARE BEING DISCIPLINED for "giving things away" and are questioned on many other things that we used to do to help customers. Many agents will go out of their way to assist customers, however, it only takes 1 person in station to be called in on something to end it for everyone. Management has the termination bug and they are willing to go after the agents for anything and everything so dont be surprised if you get someone who says no to anything out of the ordinary. Not only are they (possibly) breaking the rules, they ARE subject to punishment up to and including termination and it is happening.
Tempe and management sets the tone for Business 101 with our policies and procedures and there are many agents scared of being disciplined for not strictly following the company line.

Tadjr,

SPOT ON! While John-John may not have said it best and not to put words in his mouth I think his sentiments and point were pretty much along the lines of what you have written. To me their is no question that the TFB's have created a hostile work environment based upon fear & intimidation. This simple fact coupled with a very positive service experience is tribute to the human spirit. Those F/A's whomever they may be could have given back to the customer exactly what the Tempe Frat Boys give them, yet they chose not to and that is someplace beyond above and beyond.

Tadjr,

Those F/A's whomever they may be could have given back to the customer exactly what the Tempe Frat Boys give them, yet they chose not to and that is someplace beyond above and beyond.

*scratches head and tries to figure this sentence out*
Eh, it must be early. I am missing what you are trying to convey. Are you saying the f/a's could treat the customers with scorn and distain and disrespect since that's what's being dished out, yet the f/a's choose not to, thus choosing to take the high road and provide excellent service despite it all?

I think I've got it.

Meh

On the way home, I know that not one row 1 seat was paid for, because I checked in early, and looked at the screen. Row's 2-5 were full, and we were the first to be assigned row #1. Yet, when the plane was boarded, and 100% full, the other 4 row 1 seats were full, and so were my original seats in business. So yes, that meant 6 other normal paying passengers were given complimentary upgrades, which IS the reward/benefit of or being a FF.
How do you know for a fact that nobody else who was in your cabin didn't opt to pay $300 after you checked in? How do you know someone who was up there wasn't a full J fare and was given an operational upgrade if the agents had to start making room in coach for an oversell by moving people up?

And, out of curiosity, were you on a full J fare, or a discounted Envoy fare, already or did you buy coach and pay $500 for the Envoy seats prior to check in?

Reactions: 1 person
*scratches head and tries to figure this sentence out*
Eh, it must be early. I am missing what you are trying to convey. Are you saying the f/a's could treat the customers with scorn and distain and disrespect since that's what's being dished out, yet the f/a's choose not to, thus choosing to take the high road and provide excellent service despite it all?

I think I've got it.

Meh

That was EXACTLY what I was saying. Sorry for the tortured sentence structure. Every person has a choice each day to be mad or be glad. The events of the day are unlikely to change based upon your level of madness or gladness. The choice as to how to approach each day belongs to the individual.

(I have a JOB to do........and one of them ISN'T allowing You to tell me HOW TO DO IT. It's commentary like Yours that proves My position is Valid.)

I don't really understand what valid position you are trying to prove. I did not tell anyone how to do their job, I simply gave my thoughts on how I believe businesses should take care of good clients.

I do agree with you how certain people are ignorant to the fact that overheads can get full, and that it isnt the FA's fault when ground traffic makes them miss connections, and 1st class is already occupied, etc.. I have seen that baby BS many times myself while in the terminal or on the plane, and I have interjected my own comments to these people about how rediculous they are being and to leave the ticket agent alone, etc. But I am not one of those people who #### and complain when told no. However, when being told no, it is nicer to be told no with some kind of explanation, or a non- EDITED BY MODERATOR demeanor, and I am sorry but.....

MOD NOTE: Profanity even if disguised by symbols is prohibited by the rules of the board.
Well, all I can say is "the more you post, the more I can see what type of customer You are". Your reference to "i interjected my own comments...." first of all "WHO Asked You? What business is the matter Of Yours to begin with? You seem to have a very lofty impression of how YOUR BUSINESS and YOUR Satisfaction is to the well being of ANY Company. Let Me tell You (as IF You need a reminder) "You are No different than A-n-y Other Person, so STOP trying to throw yourself into situations that really are of no concern to You.....more politely MYOB Gladys Kravitz. You strike Me as the pax who wants to know Who The Federal Marshall's are onboard or when a celebrity of any nature (media/sports/screen) boards a plane, You need to confirm it and then proceed to bother them with nonsense chitchat, autograph sessions and what have you. Like I said, when people DO Their Jobs (as in Job Description) don't appease the squeaky wheel with "unjustifiable perks", Things operate much more smoothly and NO ONE gets slighted. I TREAT ALL people fairly.......just because You may think a box of Candy will garner You a First Class Seat, I KNOW it will Not. And it doesn't.

Well, all I can say is "the more you post, the more I can see what type of customer You are". Your reference to "i interjected my own comments...." first of all "WHO Asked You? What business is the matter Of Yours to begin with? You seem to have a very lofty impression of how YOUR BUSINESS and YOUR Satisfaction is to the well being of ANY Company. Let Me tell You (as IF You need a reminder) "You are No different than A-n-y Other Person, so STOP trying to throw yourself into situations that really are of no concern to You.....more politely MYOB Gladys Kravitz. You strike Me as the pax who wants to know Who The Federal Marshall's are onboard or when a celebrity of any nature (media/sports/screen) boards a plane, You need to confirm it and then proceed to bother them with nonsense chitchat, autograph sessions and what have you. Like I said, when people DO Their Jobs (as in Job Description) don't appease the squeaky wheel with "unjustifiable perks", Things operate much more smoothly and NO ONE gets slighted. I TREAT ALL people fairly.......just because You may think a box of Candy will garner You a First Class Seat, I KNOW it will Not. And it doesn't.

I have to say that more and more I find your attitude offensive. Perhaps the TFB's have succeeded and their customer be damned Kool-Aide has taken full effect. The customer posts a trip report that is most favorable to the F/A work group and your reaction is to trash them.

You know some of us don't have an ulterior motive in giving a gift to the F/A. Some of us who think the F/A's work very hard actually just want to say Thank You. You seem to be unable to grasp that fact. Not everything in life is quid pro quo.

Well, all I can say is "the more you post, the more I can see what type of customer You are". Your reference to "i interjected my own comments...." first of all "WHO Asked You? ...

Wow.
Actually, NOBODY asked him, he started this thread on his own with a trip report.
I hate to point out the obvious, but this IS a DISCUSSION forum, open to the PUBLIC.
So anyone can post anything they want. No one's forcing you to read it.
Some of us tho, have actually enjoyed this particular thread, have seen both sides of an argument that developed, and learned from it.
ALSO, I personally LOVE to hear the trip reports, LOVE to hear the pax perspective, and BTW, this type of pax is my very FAVORITE to serve onboard.
I also agree that your attitude is becoming offensive.