Trying to find history of a Barkley-Grow

The Daughter

Oct 29, 2007
I am trying to find the history of a Barkley-Grow aircraft that was used sometime around 1948 to 1952 in the Edmonton area. This has become a very important mission for my Dad and I would love to find out any information about it for him. It picked up my Mother in a field across from our farm and took her to an Edmonton airport and she was transported from there to the Royal Alex Hospital. I am not sure if it was a charter flight or if it was being used as a medical plane but my father vaguely remembers writing a check to Gateway Aviation for the flight but he is not entirely sure. I have visited the Aerospace Museum in Calgary (where they have records of 2 of the Barkley-Grow) and saw the history of both the BLV and the BTX but there is no mention of that kind of history. I do know that MacKenzie Air and Yukon Air owned 5 Barkley-Grows between them and that the first Barkley to arrive in Edmonton was in the late 30's at Blatchford Field (I believe that was the CF-BLV). I also know that HR Peets owned either the BLV or the BTX around 1949 and then sold it to CPA in 1941. I am trying to give as much information as I have found so far in the hopes that someone will have some additional info to add and I will be able to tell my Dad if one of the planes here in Calgary is the actual one he flew on. Any help anyone can give me will be so appreciated.

Thanks so much