Tulsa MD-80 "Pulse Line" Frozen

<_< Getting back to the original thread:---- How is the Pulse line doing this week? :unsure: Who knows, maybe they can pull it off, and show us all up for fools! :shock:

<_< Getting back to the original thread:---- How is the Pulse line doing this week? :unsure: Who knows, maybe they can pull it off, and show us all up for fools! :shock:
The Pulse line is back up and running. A/C 537 is out the door and in service with 539 soon to follow. The pulse line is far from being the greatest thing in aircraft overhaul, but at least it is an attempt to move in the right direction. I am sure there are mechanics in Indy, Atlanta, SFO, Minn., ect... who be willing to give it a try vs. working for an MRO for $20 an hour with no benefits. Wake up! The world has changed and no matter how much we may dislike it this is the new reality. It is a LOT easier to sit back and grip and complain while our jobs go out the door than it is to suck it up and try to do something to buck the trend and preserve jobs. A lot of people seem to have time and energy to whin and cry, but when asked to do the hard work of building a new future they shrink like violets. By the way, the other a/c in the pulse line are doing better, not perfect but better. It will take time to work out all the wrinkles but the pulseline is the best chance we have at a future in a/c overhaul. For those who are curious I am a mechanic on the pulseline.

The Pulse line is back up and running. A/C 537 is out the door and in service with 539 soon to follow. The pulse line is far from being the greatest thing in aircraft overhaul, but at least it is an attempt to move in the right direction. I am sure there are mechanics in Indy, Atlanta, SFO, Minn., ect... who be willing to give it a try vs. working for an MRO for $20 an hour with no benefits. Wake up! The world has changed and no matter how much we may dislike it this is the new reality. It is a LOT easier to sit back and grip and complain while our jobs go out the door than it is to suck it up and try to do something to buck the trend and preserve jobs. A lot of people seem to have time and energy to whin and cry, but when asked to do the hard work of building a new future they shrink like violets. By the way, the other a/c in the pulse line are doing better, not perfect but better. It will take time to work out all the wrinkles but the pulseline is the best chance we have at a future in a/c overhaul. For those who are curious I am a mechanic on the pulseline.

I'm sure that you were one of the company men that came in and worked extra hard to help the company out while your coworkers were out sick.

It is easy to sit back and whine. It is even easier to steal from skilled workers and lie to them and then act as if the workers are at fault.

I am for making AA profitable. I understand the landscape has changed. But I will NOT yank together - win together, oops, I mean "Pull together - win together".

I agree that the men and women you point out that are in the different cities quoted above would like to work. But they will not live on their knees. Do the same job for half the pay?

I do not know of one AMT at AA that does not want to work for a fair days wage. But when we were LIED TO and jobs were lost and extra work was incurred for less pay one has to stop and THINK FOR THEMSELVES. You obviously would like to accept anything the company says as gospel. It is reasoning like yours that have led to the new landscape that we all look out over.

MCI, I don't think that 767 wants the Pulse Line to fail. It seems as if he is tired of the burden of the lies and concessions we have endured all the while seeing a first run maintenance operation turn to poop. I know that you and all of MCI have had your fill of lies and concessions.

It would be interesting to see where anewday works and lives. Is his office heated?

MSG3 Stands for Maintenance Steering Group 3 and is basically just an improvement on MSG2 which is the current mx standard for most carriers. At my airline, Southwest; we have moved the -700 fleet to the MSG3 program which basically gives an improved mean time between checks and re-names said checks. The -300/500 fleet is slated to go to MSG3 soon but not sure of the exact time frame.

Boeing MSG3 Info

For all you people who think CI/AA/TWU cannot do any wrong just open your eyes.We have had an ongoing layoff by attrition since 2003 concessions.How many TWU people have retired,quit,or died since the big 2003 layoff?
AA continues to hire NEW PEOPLE for management jobs here at TUL.We have a NEW supervisor off the street on our dock now.They are getting ready to hire another supervisor for our dock just to do sick time and attendance.
Why the hell do we need more management people to "manage" less TWU workers? Where are you TWU?

For all you people who think CI/AA/TWU cannot do any wrong just open your eyes.We have had an ongoing layoff by attrition since 2003 concessions.How many TWU people have retired,quit,or died since the big 2003 layoff?
AA continues to hire NEW PEOPLE for management jobs here at TUL.We have a NEW supervisor off the street on our dock now.They are getting ready to hire another supervisor for our dock just to do sick time and attendance.
Why the hell do we need more management people to "manage" less TWU workers? Where are you TWU?
<_< "Big layoff of 2003"? How about "Big layoff of 2005"!!! :shock: These people are out of their peep picken minds! Now they want us to do a third Air Canada 767, with the same number of people, no wing stands, tail outside, at about the same time the Saab line is supposed to start!!!And posibly the first ALCOA 757! Ain't goina happen!!!!!

To think, back in 1994 AA hired Boston Consulting Group to rid themselves of excess management. Now AA and the twu hire Boston Consulting Group to rid themselves of mechanics, hire more management and extract more concession through productivity.

From Tulsa World...

December 7, 1994

American Expects Cuts

By Mitch Maurer

Section: BUSINESS
Edition: FINAL HOME EDITION
Page: B1
Estimated Printed Pages: 2

Index Terms:
AVIATION

Article Text:

American Airlines will likely start laying off a "substantial" number of managers as early as February, when the company begins implementing a soon-to-be completed restructuring plan.

American has been working with Boston Consulting Group to look at ways to overhaul its management layers in order to save at least $75 million a year. The savings are part of a $750 million a year cut the carrier is trying to achieve through new union contracts, the restructuring and other moves.

Company officials said Tuesday that the first round of cuts from the restructuring will likely start with senior managers as soon as February. Soon after those cuts, American will start eliminating jobs in lower management positions. The company hopes to have the restructuring completed by the end of April.

"At this point, we are still identifying what might need to be done," said Tim Smith, spokesman for Fort Worth, Texas-based American. "Ultimately, the restructuring will start at the upper end of management scale and trickle down."

American's Tulsa aircraft maintenance and accounting operations are second only to the carrier's Fort Worth headquarters in the number of managers employed. Typically, Tulsa also has the second-most layoffs when the company cuts management positions. American's Smith said he expects Tulsa will again be behind only AA's headquarters in the number of jobs impacted by the restructuring.

American's parent AMR Corp. has about 9,000 workers at its Texas headquarters, about half of those with its Sabre computer services company and half with American. AMR's Tulsa operations have about 1,000 managers and 850 support staff.

Last week, American announced it was cutting 551 Transport Worker Union ground support jobs at a number of airports it serves. The airline also cut about 600 gate agent positions earlier this year when it decided to stop providing ground services at 30 smaller airports it serves and contract those to other companies, including its own AMR Services.

Since the beginning of the year, AMR's Sabre subsidiary has cut about 240 jobs because of a consolidation of divisions within that company. Spokeswoman Debbie Weathers said about half of those cuts were from workers voluntarily leaving the company.

American is in the midst of contract negotiations with its pilots' union and the company hopes to save up to $300 million by negotiating work-rule changes allowing the pilots to fly more hours a month and other changes. The airline also hopes to save up to $375 million a year by negotiating new contracts with its flight attendants' union and Transport Workers Union representing about 6,000 Tulsa mechanics.

The airline is in binding arbitration proceedings with its flight attendants' union. American earlier this year extended an offer to the TWU, offering to begin contract talks before the current contract expires next year.

Since 1992, American has eliminated $3 billion in planned capital expenditures, cut about 5,000 jobs and started grounding aircraft. The company cut 665 managers two years ago -- 157 of those in Tulsa -- and cut another 200 management positions last year.

Copyright 1994 Tulsa World. World Publishing Co.

<_< Question 767 mechanic---- Why is it you don't want to see this thing work? ;)

Transplant I'm sorry that I didn't get back with you sooner,but I had to get in a telephone booth before I went to work. I see that Ken has briefed you a little on how I feel and I thank him. I don't have a problem with being more effiecent,but I do have a problem with the comppany and the TWU saying that this will not cost people their jobs. All I am saying is be honest with the members and tell them the truth,but AA and the TWU will not do that. Dishonesty comes natural for these people. I guess they were not brought up with the same morals and ethics as most people. The company has the TWU Int'l and some of the local officials bought and paid for like Jim Little(AA management 6yrs) Kirk Wells(convicted for felony hot checks and can be confirmed on OSCN.net) Cris Schissler (2 time DWI convictions,Possession of under 2 ounces of marj conviction confirmed on Denton county.com along with confirmed RAT in the Dan Cunningham arbitration)(Dennis Burchette confirmed wife beater,what a man he is)(Matt Lorenzi confirmed adulterer and multiple DWI convictions) This is just a few of the TWU reps that I could mention and this is why the people in KC will be sold out as they have already been. The TWU is compromised at the highest levels and will come up with any accronym that it can to continue its dues flow(CI - PLI and many more).They waist money on programs like more room throughout coach and when it fails expect you and I to pull there asses out of the fire by giving them concessions. I would have thought that you and the other mechanics and related in KC would have figured out industrial unionism by now especially after the seniority integration. I don't mean to bust your balls,but I am tired of the company and the TWU putting all the blame on the rank and file saying that if we don't do this then they will outsource our jobs. Well you know what I am a very talented mechanic along with hundreds of other mechanics. I will survive along with the other mechanics and we will use our skills elsewere. Where they are appreciated!!!!!!!! There is always a price to pay for anything that is worth gaining. Some people are to much of a coward to pay any price for self respect. I believe that life is one big revolution and so is labor. Sooner are later labor will finally grow another pair and say that enough is enough and we will be in the streets with our signs and our bats fighting for our families and our self respect.

<_< 767---- Thanks for getting back! I'll keep what you said in mind when I go to the "Big Meeting' today! Management requires our presence! I, as do most here at MCI, believe in giving the company eight hours work for eight hours pay! But I'll be damned if I'll give them ten! Which is what their asking now! As you've stated, the Union's a joke! And like yourself, think the sooner we replace it the better! Most of us here are "Senior Citizens", just putting in our time before we retire. So frankly there's not too much fight left in us!But that can work for us! What's frustrating management is that they frankly can't threaten us with much. If pushed too far, most of us have the luxury of just walking away from it! That meeting today will be interesting! Let's see if we can learn anything new! But I doubt it! ;)

AA is so far in we will keep the "jobs" debt in exchange for Corporate Welfare, I highly doubt than any jobs are really in the balance right now.

It is easy to sit back and whine. It is even easier to steal from skilled workers and lie to them and then act as if the workers are at fault.

I am for making AA profitable. I understand the landscape has changed. But I will NOT yank together - win together, oops, I mean "Pull together - win together".

I agree that the men and women you point out that are in the different cities quoted above would like to work. But they will not live on their knees. Do the same job for half the pay?

I do not know of one AMT at AA that does not want to work for a fair days wage. But when we were LIED TO and jobs were lost and extra work was incurred for less pay one has to stop and THINK FOR THEMSELVES. You obviously would like to accept anything the company says as gospel. It is reasoning like yours that have led to the new landscape that we all look out over.
MCI, I don't think that 767 wants the Pulse Line to fail. It seems as if he is tired of the burden of the lies and concessions we have endured all the while seeing a first run maintenance operation turn to poop. I know that you and all of MCI have had your fill of lies and concessions.

It would be interesting to see where anewday works and lives. Is his office heated?

AA is so far in we will keep the "jobs" debt in exchange for Corporate Welfare, I highly doubt than any jobs are really in the balance right now.
<_< Sorry Informer! I don't agree! If aa keeps putting work in here they'll have to recall heads! I don't care what they say! These old dogs will be pushed just so far before they start to set down!!!!

For those who are wondering, my heated office is the floor of hangar 3. I am sorry for MCI and those in KC that have been thru so much, but I and others like myself are looking at an industry that has under gone a major shift and our competition is now global. I am 45 with kids and a wife, and have been thru a layoff in 93' and realized that few if any companies are willing to give a decient wage for our skills. I have since completed my bachelors degree and have attempted to prepare for a changing market place. That being said, I know we still have a pretty good deal at AA and I am willing to do my part to try and keep that good deal going for the long term.

Latest posts

Back