Turmoil On Radar For Ual Alliance

I don't totally understand the whole alliance/codeshare/airline partners business, but I thought that all members of Star Alliance were codeshared with all other members. Otherwise, what would be the point? To sell tickets for another airline and get only a travel agent commission?

Me too! Boy, you say one thing about UAL and they come out of the woodwork11

WELCOME BACK TO THE US BOARDS, UAL...especially FLY!! WE MISSED YOU!!! :up:

A 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 thank you's to UAL for sponsoring us. I just don't think we are on the same page. Middle of the country or not, out codeshare is probably only beneficial to places like Asia, Australia, Hawaii...oops, no more....or Alaska...oops, no , more. Western Canada? Western Mexico?

Just my thoughts.

You love me....you really love me!!!! :lol:

Keep it in perspective. If UAL finds that it will be unprofitable to keep US around, don't be surprised if they cut you from Star.

Oh, and don't be thanking us yet, US hasn't proven they'll still be around in 2 years.

You love me....you really love me!!!! :lol:

Keep it in perspective. If UAL finds that it will be unprofitable to keep US around, don't be surprised if they cut you from Star.

Oh, and don't be thanking us yet, US hasn't proven they'll still be around in 2 years.

Hey Fly, why so down on the old US? Here we are feeling better about ourselves. Don't let me get out my fly ointment. :lol:

I strongly believe US Airways will be involved in another corporate transaction before the middle of next year and then the need for the United domestic alliance will not be required. Moreover, I believe you will see an EMB-190 order announced soon and the company obtain more widebody aircraft.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I don't think Fly is down on US Airways. I think frankly her posts reflect a stark reality that US may face in the months ahead. I don't think cancelling the code share is in anybodys best interest at this time. But who is to say a year from now?

PB

Fly works for UAL. So why come piss on our flowers? I for one am keenly aware of the struggles of this industry. I am not choosing to harp on the same old tired song. Maybe the sooaring stock and positive analyst reports have all been a bump of good news for US Airways,but so far I see nothing positive out of the rest of the Chapter 11 camps, so please let us at US have just one freakin moment to feel good. Is that sooo much to ask???

You people beat all!! :down:

I strongly believe US Airways will be involved in another corporate transaction before the middle of next year and then the need for the United domestic alliance will not be required. Moreover, I believe you will see an EMB-190 order announced soon and the company obtain more widebody aircraft.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Well, goody - some more Ejets. Then they can recall the furloughed MDA pilots to fly them for 6-12 mos before they decide to sell them to Air Canada or Republic. :unsure:

PB

Fly works for UAL. So why come piss on our flowers? I for one am keenly aware of the struggles of this industry. I am not choosing to harp on the same old tired song. Maybe the sooaring stock and positive analyst reports have all been a bump of good news for US Airways,but so far I see nothing positive out of the rest of the Chapter 11 camps, so please let us at US have just one freakin moment to feel good. Is that sooo much to ask???

Don't let the turkeys get ya down, 1st. If Fly does work for UAL, as they're about to enter their 4th year in bankruptcy, soon, she is not going to have anything nice to say -- she's jealous!

Plus, we don't need anyone to make us feel good -- we have 2.5 billion of our own reasons.

I do see more wide-bodies coming in to the fleet -- not for growth however, but to replace the 767s. But it's not going to be anytime soon (end of 2007, at the earliest, I would expect). And the E-190s -- that part I really don't know about -- I'd like to see them in the fleet, but I'm not sure where we'd deploy them right now...

Do we need the UAL code-share? I would have to say "no". I remember when CO couldn't wait to get out of the HP code-share when HP slashed prices and ticketing rules -- the code-share ended and we've never looked back. Nothing will happen with the code-share prior to April 2006...but after that, let's see if we still really need each other.

Do we need the Star Alliance? Yes. Yes, we do. The up-and-coming population with disposable income is going to want more than Las Vegas and Mexico as exotic places to travel. These are the gen-Xers and younger that are coming of age and are already "wordly" because of the internet, etc. A few destinations in Europe ain't going to do it for them either... Or they're today's business execs traveling to China monthly who only want to take the kids to Orlando for a week when they finally have some time off and spend those frequent-flyer miles.

That said, if we break the code-share, will UAL want US out of StarAlliance? Probably. But as others have said, there's more to this equation than we know right now... We've got to give this merger a few months and see what happens with UAL and their supposed emergence from BK next year (I'll believe it when I see it) and what happens with other "corporate transactions" within the airline industry.

It's all very interesting. And fun to speculate about. Let's continue to enjoy our good news and play "and if I were king of the airline, here's what I would do..." Heck, we can't do any worse than some have already done!

:D

PB

Before jumping all over Fly (and I agree she may be being a little harsh on U in this thread), I think it is worth noting who started this thread (you-know-who) and reflecting on why (to piss on UA's flowers). Fly is largely reacting to that OP.

I am sure you-know-who will protest that that is not true because he posted it on the U forum. But we all know his style and tricks by now, and what his main pleasure in life is.

He must be such a joy to fly with. I wonder if he uses his superior CRM skills to get his crews all stirred up and at each others' throats each trip.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Let's just hope that in October 2006, Brazilians don't vote into office some Hugo Chavez leftist nut. If that happens any and all US airlines can kiss their future EMB-170s and 190s goodbye.

As far as US being kicked out of STAR is concerned, remember that AC is an investor, and LH has given support as well. They want US in, and will outweigh UA.

Besides the A-330 what other wide body planes could US get? I would have thought that the EMB-190s would have been ordered by now givent hat JB is flying them already. Also, when the widebodies are ordered are they gonna pull the 76s out? as for Star Alliance, does LH actually the final say over UA or what?

As far as US being kicked out of STAR is concerned, remember that AC is an investor, and LH has given support as well. They want US in, and will outweigh UA.
You are so correct. There's actually a lot of support out there for US to be in Star.

And ACE Aviation, the investor group that owns AC, is mostly from Singapore and Singapore Airlines is also in the Star Alliance.

:up:

I hope it adds up to be enough to outweigh United. But then again, UAL could get themselves kicked-out, depending on how they handle themselves over the next year...

Before jumping all over Fly (and I agree she may be being a little harsh on U in this thread), I think it is worth noting who started this thread (you-know-who) and reflecting on why (to piss on UA's flowers). Fly is largely reacting to that OP.

TRUE!!

Ladies and genlteman, in this corner............... :lol: