Twinkees Dead, Union Charged with Ho-Homicide..

I wonder if Michelle would let Barack even consider bailing out a company that makes our youngsters obese.

You surely remember this:

"Twinkie defense" is a derisive label for an improbable legal defense. It is not a recognized legal defense in jurisprudence, but a catchall term coined by reporters during their coverage of the trial of defendant Dan White for the murders of San Francisco city supervisor Harvey Milk and mayor George Moscone. White's defense was that he suffered diminished capacity as a result of his depression. His change in diet from healthy food to Twinkies and other sugary food was said to be a symptom of depression. Contrary to common belief, White's attorneys did not argue that the Twinkies were the cause of White's actions, but that their consumption was symptomatic of his underlying depression. White was convicted of voluntary manslaughter.

None of you work there, none of you know what the employees have endured for years, they have the right to strike after having given three rounds of concessions, and had their contract abrogated and one imposed.

Is it too hard to comprehend the members voted to strike and that right is protected by Federal Law?

Teamsters are saying that the Baker's didn't conduct a proper strike vote -- they did a voice vote, which nobody in their right mind will oppose....

What the BCTGM amounts to mob rule, and now the company is being liquidated.

None of you work there, none of you know what the employees have endured for years, they have the right to strike after having given three rounds of concessions, and had their contract abrogated and one imposed.

Is it too hard to comprehend the members voted to strike and that right is protected by Federal Law?

So where do you come off acting like you know all about it then?

Reactions: 1 person

Do you work for Hostess? if not, then you're as ignorant about the goings on there as any one of us.

Spare us your sanctimonious World-Traveler-like "I know everything and you all know nothing" BS.

I don't believe anyone's says their right to strike should be denied ! Some of us are just questioning the stupidity of striking in the present economic conditions !

The ones I feel for are the "NON-UNION" employees who will undoubtedly lose their jobs as a result of union employee's actions !

As far as the union members go...........good luck finding employment !

I was a member of the BCTGM and followed the issue closely, go educate yourself, Tree posted an article that went over the whole history of the ordeal and I posted the BCTGMs side of the issue, an you all not read and comprehend or will you let Fox News tell you what happened?

And SW, people said that about EAL's employees and they found work.

I love it when people use the delusional concept that Democrats are PRO-union and Republicans are ANTI-union. Get a clue!

In 1984, the TEAMSTERS endored the Reagan/Bush presidency. Ironically this was after Reagan had fired the ATC workers and everyone accused Reagan of union busting(He didn't and I have argued that numerous times), and we found unions going to bed with management as we got sold out.

What's wrong with this picture? Well if only Democrats are for unions, then the Teamsters must have commited a faux pas as they endorseed the worst Anti-union Prez!

Get a clue. Both Union and Non-union labor has a symbiotic relationship where both need each other to exist. To say no unions, means that we go back to sweatshop labor. To say no to non-unions, would send the country into sending even more jobs overseas.

Our problem is that we are currently on a world market where cheaper labor can be found anywhere in the world. For the USA to compete, it has to bring American wages lower to compete. Blame Reagan for tearing down the Wall and blame Clinton for bringing in NAFTA.

I was a member of the BCTGM and followed the issue closely, go educate yourself, Tree posted an article that went over the whole history of the ordeal and I posted the BCTGMs side of the issue, an you all not read and comprehend or will you let Fox News tell you what happened?

And SW, people said that about EAL's employees and they found work.

Not knowing what the wage rates were I wouldn't be so optimistic regarding job prospects for those in the BCTGM. Over time as NHBB pointed out jobs have been automated out of existance and being a bakery worker used to be a much higher skill set, today it is essentially "Factory Work" not unlike putting mirrors on a Ford Taurus all day long.

I was a member of the BCTGM

That explains **SO** much about their decision making capabilities. Thank you...

BTW, I have yet to read a story from Fox News on this topic --- I've been getting it from the Chicago Trib and the Teamster's website. Slant that bias, skippy....

Not knowing what the wage rates were I wouldn't be so optimistic regarding job prospects for those in the BCTGM. Over time as NHBB pointed out jobs have been automated out of existance and being a bakery worker used to be a much higher skill set, today it is essentially "Factory Work" not unlike putting mirrors on a Ford Taurus all day long.

Maybe they can go from boxing Hoho's to polishing the glass on solar panels at one of those newfangled green energy jobs Pharaoh keeps talking about?

Reactions: 4 people
today it is essentially "Factory Work" not unlike putting mirrors on a Ford Taurus all day long.

With NAFTA cars were sent to Mexico, fully assembled, just to have seat belts installed. Maybe Hostess is planning on baking Twinkies in Brazil. With a shelf life of close to 100 years, I think we have a 50 year supply :rolleyes:

Listen Dude ! All I'm saying is that in "THIS" economic climate, now is not a good time to put your job on the line,,,,,,,,,,,,no matter how many times you've been at the negoiation table and like it or not that "IS" the reality ! Teamsters seem to think a strike was not needed !

Again, my compassion goes out to the "NON-Union" employees, who lost their jobs and no one else !

Seek and yee shall find

Hostess jobs: 'Great' to 'not worth saving'

http://money.cnn.com...ostess-workers/

Mike Hummell, a receiving clerk and a member of the Bakers' union working in Lenexa, Kan., said he was making about $48,000 in 2005 before the company's first trip through bankruptcy. Concessions during that reorganization cut his pay to $34,000 last year, earning $16.12 an hour. He said the latest contract demands would have cut his pay to about $25,000, with significantly higher out-of-pocket expenses for insurance.

"The point is the jobs they're offering us aren't worth saving," he said Friday. "It instantly casts me into poverty. I wouldn't be able to make my house payment. My take-home would be less than unemployment benefits. Being on unemployment while we search for a new job, that's a better choice than working these hours for poverty wages."

But Joe Lannan, a Teamster based in Kentucky, said he understands the bakers who walked out. He said he voted against the contract and would have struck if the vote had gone that way.

He said the split among Teamsters was between more senior workers and the newer drivers, such as himself. He's been at Hostess about a year.

"There were a lot of nervous guys, mostly with more senior drivers. I've seen a lot of teary eyes," he said.
But he's hopeful that a lot of the drivers will be able to find jobs due to the demand for truck drivers overall.
"The company has been in decline for years. There was no way it was going to get fixed," he said. "Everybody I worked with was looking for other jobs anyway."

Quote:
But Joe Lannan, a Teamster based in Kentucky, said he understands the bakers who walked out. He said he voted against the contract and would have struck if the vote had gone that way.

He said the split among Teamsters was between more senior workers and the newer drivers, such as himself. He's been at Hostess about a year.

"There were a lot of nervous guys, mostly with more senior drivers. I've seen a lot of teary eyes," he said.
But he's hopeful that a lot of the drivers will be able to find jobs due to the demand for truck drivers overall.
"The company has been in decline for years. There was no way it was going to get fixed," he said. "Everybody I worked with was looking for other jobs anyway."

This sounds like the outsourcing that the airlines are famous for. You know, outsource to cheaper labor and give current high-paid employees first dibs to join the lower wage earners or seek employment elsewhere.

Having been a Teamster, this sounds like a classic subtle move to get rid of higher paid employees. When we negotiated a contract, our representative would tell us how we would get raises, retain our benefits and promise us the bigger piece of the pie...
but
...the NEW HIRES would lose sick time, vacation, benefits, etc.

Some, like myself saw the downside in that we(the old timers) would become the targets. Thanks to the democratic process, greed, and I GOT MINE mentality, well we are reaping what we have sown.

Now enjoy the crow dinner :p