Two-Cents....

mastermechanic

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
To my fellow aviation mechanics at USAir...I feel for you. I've been down the road of saving airlines. It's great for management, it's great for un-skilled labor, and it's great for pilots who eat first when it comes to re-negotiated contracts. We are all pinned by circumstances beyond our control. You no voters are in my heart, because you stand for principal and what is right. I know, I feel the same way. I will vote no at United, but it will be for nothing of course. The IAM will do whatever it takes, and so will the company. But my brothers, you know we will lose this fight. I have read many posts here, and there are so many gutless wonders. But he is right, unless you are willing to throw it all away, you should think long and hard. I'm tired of this aviation bull myself, but common sense and a love for my occupation hold me on by a thread. When you guys voted no, it really felt good. It was a message to the IAM and your company and to the industry. Now all these elements are bringing all guns to bear on you. For those that did not buckle, thank you from the rest of mechanics in this industry. We all want you to win, but in this game, there are no winners. Best of Luck

I have read many posts here, and there are so many gutless wonders

In regards to this statement:

Maybe the people who decide to accept realize the hard good facts knowing the entire industry is changing so fast it makes your head spin, and also realize this is NOT the time to make a stand least you get slaughtered. We already lost this battle when bankruptcy was declared. A better alternative is regroup, move forward seeking measures to prevent this insanity from ever happening again via way different union, start a new union, legal representation in lieu of an union, whatever. The only other alternative would be a complete revolt or civil unrest which I don’t believe people are really ready for.

Cav,
If what I seen on a on another post is true the company is saving money hand over fist through this brankruptsy protection.
The other post said for example that the company was paying 250 to 270k per month on 29 of our 737s which our being turned back to the lessors as we speak that amounts to a wopping savings of 87 million dollars a month.
And thats just the tip of the iceberg on what the company is saving.
With these labor concessions the company is gonna save billions.
If your shrinking an airline it should cost a lot less to operate.
So why does this company need all of this extra money?
The only thought that comes to my mind is coporate greed.

Correct, just because US was able to lock away some aircraft doesn't mean that the game is over. As Chip noted, US needs to show that it has gained control over employment costs before the ASTB gives the final nod to a loan guarantee.

Total Posts: 23
Last Post: 9/9/2002

Subscribe to this author

Cav,
If what I seen on a on another post is true the company is saving money hand over fist through this brankruptsy protection.
The other post said for example that the company was paying 250 to 270k per month on 29 of our 737s which our being turned back to the lessors as we speak that amounts to a wopping savings of 87 million dollars a month.
And thats just the tip of the iceberg on what the company is saving.
With these labor concessions the company is gonna save billions.
If your shrinking an airline it should cost a lot less to operate.
So why does this company need all of this extra money?
The only thought that comes to my mind is coporate greed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know what you say here could be very true, but again, we must as a whole Deal With The Issues At Hand and move on from there, not react by shooting ourselves in the foot out of anger.

Another point: For the men looking at a possible furlough even if this is voted in. You realize a NO vote will put an immediate stop to any kind of severance you might have been entitled to receive, again, it’s the shooting yourself in the foot scenario.

T-man:

The judge approved the removal of 10 of the 32 aircraft scheduled for return. The company is still paying its obligation for 22 aircraft and US agreed to pay some storage and insurance costs for a short period of time.

Regardless, the IAM-M & CWA cuts are required to meet the Credit Facility (DIP/Emergence financing) and ATSB loan guarantee requirements. Without these restructuring agreements all bets are off and this is something the company cannot and will not allow to happen.

Chip