2014 Mechanics T/A Contract Vote

1AA said:
Now that is funny. Believe me it will be business as usual. Just look at UAL/CAL.
We are both tied into a contract until 2017, so what is the rush for the company to come up with a JCBA that will cost them more money.
There won't be any JCBA until at least 2017. It's much cheaper to give you 1.5% raises than to negotiate.

Reactions: 4 people
67% of the M&R that voted, voted yes, if you don't vote it's not counted. 50% plus 1 have to vote yes for it to pass, of who actually voted.

Wow, won't it be nice (God Forbid) to have that 67% voting in a JCBA along with the remaining brain washed TWU supporters to ensure - we all remain the lowest paid AMTs in the industry till the end of our careers.  Said no-one.... ever!  Let's just hope that vote for the JCBA fails, and the sane AA AMTs vote in the AMFA in the meantime.

Pretty sad, makes me sick what the IAM and this once proud profession has become!!! The members voted and this is what the majority wanted. I have lost all faith and I hope they get what they are hoping for and deserve...

Reactions: 3 people
Real tired said:
I drove into that big expensive union hall parking lot over on Moon Clinton, and was the only car in the parking lot.

I walked in and was the only person in there, other than some angry union people I didn't even know.

I marked my paper ballot and was actually happy that this time in had built in perforations between the stub and ballot, unlike other time where you had to tear the two apart.

I put my paper ballot in a 55 gallon drum like it was 1940, went out in the parking lot and threw up.

Oh well, at least 67% of my scared coworkers are happ
Amen brother.  Amen...

I think most of them went for the money since they will be retiring before this contract ends.
I do not remember if there was a early out package but if there was I am sure many voted Yes to get the package and leave. This happened at AA on the last vote we had. I just did not agree with the way the IAM set up the voting process. There was not enough time and avenues for the membership to vote. Without having enough time to throughly read and discuss the T/A among their peers and families it kind of rushes you to make a hasty decision or not vote at all.

You dont agree?

They had two weeks notice on when and where the vote was going to take place, and this is how they always vote for at least the past 20 years.

Nothing was done in a hurry.

AP Tech said:
Pretty sad, makes me sick what the IAM and this once proud profession has become!!! The members voted and this is what the majority wanted. I have lost all faith and I hope they get what they are hoping for and deserve...
When you became union how many do you think wanted to be non-union?. It's called democracy.......Deal with it!

Reactions: 1 person
AP Tech said:
Just over the years being union meaning less and less.....I'm learning to deal with it!!

Pay
In May 2012, the median annual wage for aircraft mechanics and service technicians was $55,210. The median annual wage for avionics technicians was $55,350 in May 2012.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Installation-Maintenance-and-Repair/Aircraft-and-avionics-equipment-mechanics-and-technicians.htm

Looking at your wage scale not factoring in License premiums, OT, Pension contributions, Medical contributions, Holiday pay, vacations and other items that add value to your compensation I get a total of $69,347 if you're at he top rate.

Now have you done the math on what your base rate will be doing the industry comparisons for Sept 2015 yet?

The median annual wage for avionics technicians was $55,350 in May 2012. The lowest 10 percent of avionics technicians earned less than $39,150, and the top 10 percent earned more than $73,770.

Employment of aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians is projected to show little or no change from 2012 to 2022. 

Air traffic is expected to gradually increase over the coming decade. However, new aircraft are generally expected to require less maintenance than older aircraft. Airlines may continue to outsource maintenance work to specialized maintenance and repair shops both domestically and abroad. Increased specialization will allow maintenance facilities to use their resources more efficiently and therefore limit growth in the number of aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Installation-Maintenance-and-Repair/Aircraft-and-avionics-equipment-mechanics-and-technicians.htm

The problem I see with that link is that there is a big difference in salaries between General Aviation, Corporate Aviation, Commercial Aviation, Aircraft Manufacturing and third party maintenance companies whether in the states or outside the states.
Even though 55,00 is an average it is still non attractive to anyone coming into the field at a young age looking for a future in Aircraft Maintenance.

WeAAsles said:

Pay
In May 2012, the median annual wage for aircraft mechanics and service technicians was $55,210. The median annual wage for avionics technicians was $55,350 in May 2012.

Looking at your wage scale not factoring in License premiums, OT, Pension contributions, Medical contributions, Holiday pay, vacations and other items that add value to your compensation I get a total of $69,347 if you're at he top rate.

Now have you done the math on what your base rate will be doing the industry comparisons for Sept 2015 yet?

Look Weasle, that link to that study has been covered, and it's very lacking.  As 1AA points out - way too many variables.  Add to that, the standard for airline employees and pay and benefits has always been among their peers at other similar sized airlines.  So using your posted study with it's stepping stone type jobs included is unrealistic to say the least.  No sane AMT is gonna come out of A&P school and say "I want to make a career at Timco" or some other 3rd party maintenance vendor.  I get the spam e-mails from these recruiting sites for AMTs - they can't find the people they need!  I see literally  hundreds of jobs, if not thousands - posted for AMTs.  It is the same companies, and government jobs along with a few FBO and corporate types as well.

So, AMT pay and benefits when compared to the peers at the likes of Delta, United, Southwest, Alaska, Jetblue, and even Fed Ex & UPS is very lacking.  There is no excuse for that.  AMTs are the only group that isn't even close to what their peers make.

Call it what you want. In relation to everyone in your career field in the USA you guys are still doing very well against the average. Not everyone can have the nicest looking house in the neighborhood even if that's what they want.

I want an Aston Martin. Ain't gonna get it though so I learn to love my Mustang instead.

Keep chasing your tail though. Maybe one day you'll catch it.

And you will be where your peers are in another 14 months with keeping more jobs then them.

So what right?