Two new cities on Friday

Anybody else think that PIT and JAX make no sense at all in light of WN's operations at both cities? Am I the only one who thinks that WN might just decide to crush B6 like a bug on these flights? Yeah, I know - WN doesn't fly to JFK or BOS, but its customers seem willing to fly from ISP and PVD instead.

Anybody else think that PIT and JAX make no sense at all in light of WN's operations at both cities? Am I the only one who thinks that WN might just decide to crush B6 like a bug on these flights? Yeah, I know - WN doesn't fly to JFK or BOS, but its customers seem willing to fly from ISP and PVD instead.

WN offers a 1 hopper via PHL to MHT/PVD and won't even ticket you (today) from PIT-ISP or ISP-PIT. This versus a nonstop to the "big" aiport in both NYC and BOS?

I see what you are saying, but until WN gets real about NYC, there is very little they can do to offset B6 in the PIT-NYC market (you are down at least $40 versus the A train just to get out to ISP). Ditto with BOS (perhaps the one place where B6 scored a coup by actually serving Logan instead of MHT/PVD).

I believe it makes all the sense in the world for JBLU to fly these new routes. PIT should give JBLU higher yields, and that's what we're all looking for.

Also, I believe WN has enough on it's plate trying to crush LCC...

Huh???

Assuming similar fares, how many travelers would really choose to fly to Long Island instead of NYC if they're traveling to NYC? Same for PVD vs. BOS. SWA has done very well with its alternate airport strategy over the years because there have been no other LCCs going into the major airports. Passengers will go out of their way if they're saving hundreds of $$$...but that's about the only reason. Who really wants the privilege of driving into the city from ISP if they don't have to?

The presence of B6, FL, and F9 is starting to have an impact on SWA. Notice that SWA went into Philly and not Allentown, which many had predicted. Notice that SWA went into Denver, not Colorado Springs. In the past, these secondary airports would have fit into the SWA strategy, but with low-fare competition in the major airports, it's just harder to get people to fly in and out of secondary airports.

Huh???

Assuming similar fares, how many travelers would really choose to fly to Long Island instead of NYC if they're traveling to NYC? Same for PVD vs. BOS. SWA has done very well with its alternate airport strategy over the years because there have been no other LCCs going into the major airports. Passengers will go out of their way if they're saving hundreds of $$$...but that's about the only reason. Who really wants the privilege of driving into the city from ISP if they don't have to?

All true, but WN's main ISP market is NOT people wanting to go to NYC, it's people on Long Island who want to AVOID having to go into NYC!
Nassau and Suffolk counties are a huge market in their own right. It's not going out of one's way if ISP is by far the closest and most convenient airport to one's home.

MGA -
Agreed. If you're traveling to LI then ISP is more convenient for many travelers, but SL was indicating that Southwest could "crush B6 like a bug" on its NYC flights (JFK) with SWA's flights to ISP. I just don't see that happening.

MGA -
Agreed. If you're traveling to LI then ISP is more convenient for many travelers, but SL was indicating that Southwest could "crush B6 like a bug" on its NYC flights (JFK) with SWA's flights to ISP. I just don't see that happening.

Don't blame SL for the half-baked notion that PIT and JAX may be mistakes for B6; that was my post. :D

Looks like I may be the only one who thinks that B6 is foolishly taking on WN in those two new destinations. B)

Looks like I may be the only one who thinks that B6 is foolishly taking on WN in those two new destinations. B)
And once again how is it that JetBlue is taking on WN in PIT and JAX?
Last I checked WN doesn't fly between JFK/PIT BOS/PIT or JAX\JFK.

I think I remember back when B6 started operations, they said that CLT would be added in 2005. Hopefully better late than never...

Does CLT have any gates? It seems like that's the one place where US has effectively held on to all of the real estate. That's been the reason B6 hasn't gone into ORD yet; can't get the gates.

Does CLT have any gates? It seems like that's the one place where US has effectively held on to all of the real estate. That's been the reason B6 hasn't gone into ORD yet; can't get the gates.

=========================================================

B6 to ORD ???

IF you think B6 got "ran out of ATL, on a rail", wait (to see) what a "welcome" B6 will get at ORD !!

(And I don't mean that it will come from UA)

NH/BB's

A5 & A7 are available, the only one using those gates is Air Tran. I believe AT has two RON's sitting there, but hell, you could move one to the hardstand if needed.

B6 would be a welcome addition to DTW. But 2008 would be the earliest date possible since the new terminal at DTW (replacing the now demolised old Northwest terminal) is not scheduled to be open until then. So for the time being, DTW customers will have to put up with mostly North-worst service.

as has been suggested on other websites, JFK-CLT & JFK-RDU will both be announced this week for a July route launch.

There is also a high possibility that JFK-AUA will be included in this announcement, can't guarantee it though.

Back